I plan on building the Classic 17, just don't have room

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

I plan on building the Classic 17, just don't have room

Post by Capt UB »

I plan on building the Classic 17, next year.
I just don't have the room to store 20 plus sheets of ply outside.
I'm hoping to just have the hull parts CnC'd.

Could I keep the other ply, non cut in the house (flat)?
Could they be standing on edge?

Could I build the frames out of junk (box store) ply, so I could build the just the hull?

That would allow me to move the unflipped finished hull out of the open carport.

With that room, I would then be able to weather the house stored ply in the carport. Then cut the parts outs in the carport.

Last question....

Could I build the inside parts with Meranti Marine BS6566?

Thanks Bob.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: I plan on building the Classic 17, just don't have room

Post by fallguy1000 »

Keep the standing sheets clamped together so they don't develop curves.

Otherwise, I store 4x8s under my work tables.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:55 pm Keep the standing sheets clamped together so they don't develop curves.

Otherwise, I store 4x8s under my work tables.

Thank you. Was thinking I maybe able to put some sheets flat under my couch. I have an open carport 10+ x 20+. No real work shop...

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

CaptUB I kept my Meranti plywood laid flat for 4+years on 4 4x4's in my garage and it was perfectly flat when I finally sold it. BS6566 is perfectly fine for interior use for the stringers and frames. Keep to 1088 for all outside use transom and hull. Using Meranti will save you money with some gain in weight but not that much. You will add about 100lbs but that means you will draft only 1/3 inch more for goodness sakes. That is nothing and for the savings you incur over Okume. You will be saving between 700 and 1000 dollars using all Meranti. You can do the math for an exact amount, I'm on vacation and forgot my calculator. There are advantages to Okume, it bends easier for one.

Good luck on your decisions and keep asking questions.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:39 pm CaptUB I kept my Meranti plywood laid flat for 4+years on 4 4x4's in my garage and it was perfectly flat when I finally sold it. BS6566 is perfectly fine for interior use for the stringers and frames. Keep to 1088 for all outside use transom and hull. Using Meranti will save you money with some gain in weight but not that much. You will add about 100lbs but that means you will draft only 1/3 inch more for goodness sakes. That is nothing and for the savings you incur over Okume. You will be saving between 700 and 1000 dollars using all Meranti. You can do the math for an exact amount, I'm on vacation and forgot my calculator. There are advantages to Okume, it bends easier for one.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

The hull will be CnC Okume for the hull, if Jeff is able to do that for me. Also, I'm thinking no bench seating, that should save a few oz's.... I did find a 50 hp Yam, 2 stroke needing a home and some work. I found a repair book for older Yams at the used book store...

Have fun and be safe on your vacation. Can you say where you are?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Capt UB wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:02 pm
TomW1 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:39 pm CaptUB I kept my Meranti plywood laid flat for 4+years on 4 4x4's in my garage and it was perfectly flat when I finally sold it. BS6566 is perfectly fine for interior use for the stringers and frames. Keep to 1088 for all outside use transom and hull. Using Meranti will save you money with some gain in weight but not that much. You will add about 100lbs but that means you will draft only 1/3 inch more for goodness sakes. That is nothing and for the savings you incur over Okume. You will be saving between 700 and 1000 dollars using all Meranti. You can do the math for an exact amount, I'm on vacation and forgot my calculator. There are advantages to Okume, it bends easier for one.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

The hull will be CnC Okume for the hull, if Jeff is able to do that for me. Also, I'm thinking no bench seating, that should save a few oz's.... I did find a 50 hp Yam, 2 stroke needing a home and some work. I found a repair book for older Yams at the used book store...

Have fun and be safe on your vacation. Can you say where you are?

My wifes dad grew up on the Mississippi in Iowa and he and his dad built a cabin that is up on pilings between the river and the levy. We also have a farm here so we come check on it and visit our good friends that farm it for us. Usually the river is to high to bring the boat this time of year. So we just sit here work on remodeling the cabin and watch the river flow by with all the native birds. We have a pair of bald eagles this year plus herons and normal things you think of on a lake.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Knoxville_Jay »

At least with a carport you 1) get excellent ventinlation and 2) you don’t have to worry about accidentally breaking a garage window with a long piece of wood. Ask me how I know :D