FS17 in Steinhatchee

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 in Steinhatchee

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks for the update Tom, I was also wondering how things were going! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

My FS17 build got nothing done for 4-1/2 years due to other hobbies taking priority. Reloading then knife building then leather work. I got it out of the shop last week and onto the trailer. That was a biggy .

Got the tellismare rubrail mounted. installing the bimini top currently. Trying to remember what all the wiring is for. Will install one of the batteries and figure it out in the coming weeks.

Next biggy is getting the new Tohatsu 50 hp out of the crate and mounted onto the jackplate.

Just wanted to touch base as it has been too many years and I am not getting any younger at 76.

Tom in Steinhatchee

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Wow Tom, great to hear you've got the boat moving, she has to be thirsty for water by now!

I know what you mean about having too many hobbies, but that's a sign of a curious mind and that's a good thing.
Hank

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

I have been staying busy with the other hobbies.

It feels good to get back on building the boat. Will post some pictures of it sitting outside the shop on its trailer in a day or so.

Hooking up the bilge pump wiring today. The sailflo bilge pump has a built in float switch so I am wiring the float ( brown with white stripe ) thru another remote switch in the right hand rear compartment. The main switch will be on the console switch panel. If the boat sits in the water overnight I will activate the float switch. Most of the time will leave it off probably.

Hooking up the nmea system will take some figuring out.

Regards
Tom

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Here is an update. I have made good progress in the past several weeks.

Bimini top installed and thru bolted with Trevara underneath the gunnel.

All wired up except shutoff switch for trolling motor wiring run. Horn wiring and switch on hand and to be installed.

Motor installed his week and wiring for it hooked up but not secure yet in the rubber grommet on the motor. Trim works and started turns over the motor. Oil added. Engine control cables yet to be hooked up but routing all set up.

Jack plate works. Still need to hook up the trim switch as mounting is not done yet. Where the trim switch mounts I think I know????

Lets see if I can add some photos.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

pictures as it sits today
IMG_0663 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_0664 (1024x768).jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Close! So close!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Yeah I am getting close. Got all the engine wiring tucked away and the two control cables installed and hooked up.

I am having difficulty getting the Baystar hydraulic steering cylinder installed. It does not seem to line up too well. Also the jackplate has to be raised several inches to allow full up tilt on the motor and that is without the cylinder hanging up front. Will have less clearance with the top of the transom with that installed. Any ideas????

I sure don't want to grind away on the top of the transom.

Got the Icom vhf antenna on and powered up today. This Icom also has GPS. Also installed cutoff switch on the dash for the trolling motor harness.

Thanks everyone. Inputs always welcome.

Tom in Steinhatchee

cape man

Post by cape man »

Post a few pictures of the issue.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Two of my grandsons were passing thru on Sunday and they suggested 2 inch spacers between engine and jack plate. I think this will solve the problem. I ordered Bob's Machine spacers and bolt kit yesterday.

I will see if I can load some pictures. The steering plate on the front of the Tohatsu is kind of long. May have to cut forward part off. It has two threaded holes and cylinder looks like it needs to mount on the underside to allow the two guide rods to line up.

I just mounted the steering cyl on the bottom of the engine bracket and with jackplate about 1-1/2 inches from the bottom position, the cylinder will hit the top of the transom. The problem seems to be that the cylinder is designed to be forward of the transom. With the jackplate moving everthing rearward that is no longer possible.

The baystar instructions show installation of cylinder for 1992 to present for 30-50 hp Honda which I think is same as Tohatsu. They mount the cylinder on top surface of the engine steering arm. I might try to mount it that way and see what it is like. The higher it sits i get more interference with the control cable and engine wiring harnesses. I have plenty of slack in them so I should be able to pull them up and out of the way,

I am not sure the 2 inch set back will be enough. When jackplate if full down the engine sits about right with the bottom of the hull. Maybe a little high. Lowering the jackplate will only make matters worse. I mounted the jackplate in the middle holes so one hole adjustment is possible.

Lets see the pictures.
Regards
Tom
IMG_0665 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0670 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0666 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0668 (600x800).jpg