GF16 runners and splash rail question?

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

GF16 runners and splash rail question?

Post by piperdown »

Been going through the build threads on the GF16. It's not real clear if builders found long enough wood, scarfed 2 together or laminated plywood for the runners and splash rail.
I plan on glassing over them so which do you all think would be easiest for making the bends?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GF16 runners and splash rail question?

Post by jacquesmm »

I have a GF16 and had no problems finding long battens in one piece.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm I have a GF16 and had no problems finding long battens in one piece.
Thank you.
I can find long enough battens, and I don't think the splash rail will be much of an issue bending around the sides. I was more concerned with the bend for the runners.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

They all bend very easily.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:23 pm They all bend very easily.
Thank you!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm »

They weren’t too bad. I was way more worried about the bottom runners. I made a fixture to keep them the correct distance apart. That also was something I could clamp on. I tapered the ends. I think that also makes it easier to bend.
I used 1x2’s with locators to clamp the spray rails. Rachet straps were also very handy.

Chip

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

txjm wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:56 pm They weren’t too bad. I was way more worried about the bottom runners. I made a fixture to keep them the correct distance apart. That also was something I could clamp on. I tapered the ends. I think that also makes it easier to bend.
I used 1x2’s with locators to clamp the spray rails. Rachet straps were also very handy.

Chip
Thanks Chip. I was wondering about ratchet straps after reading a few other builds. I noticed some would tighten a bit every day until they were in position. Mr. Mertens only calls for 1x1 but I noticed many others using either 1x2 or 2x2 (actual 3/4x1.5 or 1 3/4 x 1 3/4). With the extra thickness I was a bit concerned about cracking the wood.
That's kind of why I was asking in a round about fashion about thin strips or plywood. I can get 1 1/2 x 1/4 clear pine battens 16ft long. I was thinking about laminating 3 of them together as they would make the bend easily individually and form a thick layer with the lamination. Like the rub rail. Then I thought it would probably take a lot of screws (over drilling then filling), so back to the original about being able to bend a thicker solid piece of wood.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm »

I didn’t use any screws. I did clamp them in place for a couple of days. They seemed to take a set and they were easier to bend. I think I have pics.

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm »

pics
I was actually putting a set in the runners while I was gluing the spray rails on. I did one spray rail at a time and then the runners. the ratchet straps were real tight.
Chip
Attachments
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

txjm wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:26 pm pics
I was actually putting a set in the runners while I was gluing the spray rails on. I did one spray rail at a time and then the runners. the ratchet straps were real tight.
Chip

That helps a lot! Thank You!
Eric (aka, piperdown)