Page 1 of 1

C17 in the bayou

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 am
by Salty F17
Planning on doing CC version of this design So today we got started on getting strongback set up and drawning molds the molds took a while to get drawn out but got it done fun to draft the parts out vs the pre cut I think .

Re: C17 in the bayou

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 am
by Salty F17
Took a while to get everything thing lined up but it starting to come together

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:14 am
by Salty F17
So me and my dad decided we would cut the molds out off cheap plywood as template so glad we did lil extra work but peace of mind knowing that we didn't mess up the good stuff very easy to transfer the stencil on to the maranti ,on a second note it's been super hot here in Louisiana been in the 90's all week :help: gotta build the boat half naked to stay luke warm :lol: plenty beer a water but gotta do what we gotta do just waiting on sum supplies more pics coming soon

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:46 am
by OrangeQuest
Everything is looking good so far! Welcome to the forum!

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:46 am Everything is looking good so far! Welcome to the forum!
thanks

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 am
by Eric1
Looking good Salty. Welcome to the forum.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:06 am
by Rmarsh
Hi Salty: Great to see another C17 getting started, and that you and your Dad will be working on it together. I got a lot of help from my son when we built ours.......he mixed just about every batch of epoxy for it, and we spent many hours together in the shop just pondering...and anticipating.
Your posts and pictures will be part of a journal that others like myself will follow, and that you will look back on with pride and joy!

Bob

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am
by thb
Hi Salty,

Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here as there is lots of help available from folks who have done it.

Your workmanship on the cradle looks real good. How long is that thing? Is the middle bowing down any? An extra set of wheels in the middle might be in order as the weight gets added. A laser pointer might be in order to check for bowing.

Should be a great boat.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am
by Jeff
Salty, welcome to the Builders Forum and glad to see you are off to a good start!! Yes, hot here in Florida as well!! Keep those photos coming and again, welcome to the Builders Forum!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 am
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am Hi Salty,

Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here as there is lots of help available from folks who have done it.

Your workmanship on the cradle looks real good. How long is that thing? Is the middle bowing down any? An extra set of wheels in the middle might be in order as the weight gets added. A laser pointer might be in order to check for bowing.

Should be a great boat.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee
The strongback is 18 ft long as in the plans no Bowing I did think about a middle set of wheels but it is braced in between the 2x6's and leveled with laser pointer I dont think i will be need to but easy to add if weight become a issue thanks for you input keep posting

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 am
by piperdown
Great start Salty!
Love seeing builds, keep posting!

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:37 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:06 am Hi Salty: Great to see another C17 getting started, and that you and your Dad will be working on it together. I got a lot of help from my son when we built ours.......he mixed just about every batch of epoxy for it, and we spent many hours together in the shop just pondering...and anticipating.
Your posts and pictures will be part of a journal that others like myself will follow, and that you will look back on with pride and joy!

Bob
Yes looking forward to the next step your boat is the reason I'm doing what I'm doing just trying to fig out how to change it around from yours a lil bit

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 am
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am Salty, welcome to the Builders Forum and glad to see you are off to a good start!! Yes, hot here in Florida as well!! Keep those photos coming and again, welcome to the Builders Forum!! Jeff
Will do I appreciate the site and everything y'all do keep up the great work

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 am
by Salty F17
So we added the Motorwell sides on did some mock stringers made a mistake cutting the depth in the molds had to take a piece of ply to raise the stringers to the right 8O :doh: height and that's why you use the cheaper ply folks :lol: lol o well that mistake won't happen again went back an checked all measurements to make sure everything is right just forgot to measure the stringers height first before we cut the molds

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:46 am
by OrangeQuest
Looking good!

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am
by Salty F17
Next week i will order the wood for the hull and pick up sum tie ties to stitch it all together I guess I play with the puppy till parts come in

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:46 am Looking good!
Thanks

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am
by Jeff
Salty, that is a good looking pup!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
by narfi
Looking good. Love your dog!

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:05 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Oh wow, that all looks strangely familiar... :lol:

Everything is looking awesome!

Keep those pictures coming!

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm
by Salty F17
Knoxville_Jay wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:05 pm Oh wow, that all looks strangely familiar... :lol:

Everything is looking awesome!

Keep those pictures coming!
It does doesn't it :lol: like deja vu

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am
by Jeff
Nice work Salty!! Just call me when you are ready!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 am
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am Nice work Salty!! Just call me when you are ready!! Jeff
Hopefully this week had some delays but should be back on track this week more pics coming soon

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 am
by Jeff
Good stuff Salty!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 am
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 am Good stuff Salty!! Jeff
I was curious as what that max hp is for this boat I did the coast guard calculations and I would seem that it is 130hp this cant be right would you be able to answer this question ? For me

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 am
by Jeff
Salty, Jacques calls for a 50HP outboard motor for the C17. He will likely respond later but that is what his notes call for!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:07 am
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 am Salty, Jacques calls for a 50HP outboard motor for the C17. He will likely respond later but that is what his notes call for!! Jeff
I had saw that but I didn't think that that was the max hp and one more ? About how much primer would I need to cover the hull ? Thanks Jeff for the quick responses

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am
by Jeff
Salty, we believe a Gallon Kit of the SystemsThree Yacht Primer will get you two coats on the C17 Hull! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:29 pm
by Eric1
Salty,

I would put three coat of the System three high build primer on before you sand.
Spray a guide coat also before sanding.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm
by Salty F17
Eric1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:29 pm Salty,

I would put three coat of the System three high build primer on before you sand.
Spray a guide coat also before sanding.
Is this the same as the yacht primer or some thing different
And what about using graphite on the bottom would I still need the primer there or do I just apply the graphite with the primer or by It self

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:49 pm
by Eric1
Should be the same primer. As for graphite, no need to prime.
Put it right over your glass.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:53 pm
by Salty F17
Eric1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:49 pm Should be the same primer. As for graphite, no need to prime.
Put it right over your glass.
Great thanks love your build too lots of info

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm
by TomW1
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 am
Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 am Good stuff Salty!! Jeff
I was curious as what that max hp is for this boat I did the coast guard calculations and I would seem that it is 130hp this cant be right would you be able to answer this question ? For me
Salty the CG calculations are always about double or triple of what Jacques recommendations are. There are two basic reasons for this, first liability, if someone puts that much HP on one of his designs he doesn't want them to come back on him. Second the design parameters.he has designed the boat for the recommended HP plus a safety factor, adding to much more will require adding additional fiberglass in certain areas to support the extra HP, this adds extra cost which is not the reason he started the company, I believe. There is basically not a designer in the country building to the CG calculations because of these two reasons, liability and cost.

Now having said that I have propped a couple of C17's and a 50HP will give you a top speed in the mid 30's with a good SS prop. A C17 will gain about 3 mph for each 10HP added per her hull design and carrying the same weight. You could consider the new light weight 60 or 70 HP motors that are available from Yamaha, Suzuki and Mercury. This would be the absolute highest that you should go and for 6mph is it worth the cost.

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm
by jacquesmm
Thanks, Tom, that is correct.
Unless the builder builds the boat 100% as designed, I can not guarantee the specs. The boat never is 100% as designed. That is why, if there is a capacity tag, it must be made by the builder. I do those calculations for production boats, amateur-built boats do not require it.
Considering that I always include a motorwell bulkhead and in many cases, have a wide and high transom, the USCG capacity calculations often produce an exceedingly high max. HP and number of persons. For example, 20 years ago, the PH18 was in fiberglass production under the name Ghost and I did the calculations. We got about 250 HP and 11 persons which is ridiculous. Common sense tells even a beginner that it would be dangerous but the builder can be found liable if an accident happens as a result of excessive speed or overload. The tag showed 90. There is another point for max. HP that we rarely discuss, the driving test. The USCG rules specify that a boat must be able to run a specific slalom between buoys at max. speed, see section H26/7 of the ABYC rules, title "maneuvering Speed" and "Avoidance test". A PH18 with a 250 HP can't do that but it is possible with a 90 and a skeg. That USCG rule applies to speeds above 30 mph and I like to say that I design those boats for less than 30 mph even if they all go faster.
I guess that the calculations may very well produce 115 or more HP for the C17 but it will not be able to do the avoidance test with more than 90.
It does not mean the boat will break, it means that it not safe.

Production boat builders are faced with a dilemma: announce a high max. HP that is attractive to the buyer or a low one to cover their liability.

Then, there is the fact that production boats are much heavier. 20 years ago, we went to a local boat ramp to test a PH18 made from ply-epoxy with foam components: 575 lbs! We had a 70 on the transom. Next to us, at the ramp was a brand new Maverick prototype with a 125. We had a better holeshot and top speed than the production boat with a lot less HP.

PS: what we call USCG calculations are, in the case of powering, ABYC industry standards, not USCG.

We are working on a new website and I will add text to the study plans to explain that the max. HP is my opinion. I may list two values: max. HP per USCG calcs and "designers opinion".

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 pm
by TomW1
Jacques I don't know if I would bring in the USCG max if I were you. It is so high that it may confuse more builders that it will help. What you might do instead is bring in the max hp of the build as is and then what would happen if they added a layer of glass to the bottom and reinforced the corners of the transom as an option. I would be sure that these designs are designed for a maximum HP and anything over that makes them an experimental boat for which you as the designer can have no liability. Some guys just want to push the limit and will. Don't encourage them.

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 pm
by Salty F17
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 pm Jacques I don't know if I would bring in the USCG max if I were you. It is so high that it may confuse more builders that it will help. What you might do instead is bring in the max hp of the build as is and then what would happen if they added a layer of glass to the bottom and reinforced the corners of the transom as an option. I would be sure that these designs are designed for a maximum HP and anything over that makes them an experimental boat for which you as the designer can have no liability. Some guys just want to push the limit and will. Don't encourage them.

Tom
I would amen that that makes perfect sense

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 pm
by Salty F17
jacquesmm wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm Thanks, Tom, that is correct.
Unless the builder builds the boat 100% as designed, I can not guarantee the specs. The boat never is 100% as designed. That is why, if there is a capacity tag, it must be made by the builder. I do those calculations for production boats, amateur-built boats do not require it.
Considering that I always include a motorwell bulkhead and in many cases, have a wide and high transom, the USCG capacity calculations often produce an exceedingly high max. HP and number of persons. For example, 20 years ago, the PH18 was in fiberglass production under the name Ghost and I did the calculations. We got about 250 HP and 11 persons which is ridiculous. Common sense tells even a beginner that it would be dangerous but the builder can be found liable if an accident happens as a result of excessive speed or overload. The tag showed 90. There is another point for max. HP that we rarely discuss, the driving test. The USCG rules specify that a boat must be able to run a specific slalom between buoys at max. speed, see section H26/7 of the ABYC rules, title "maneuvering Speed" and "Avoidance test". A PH18 with a 250 HP can't do that but it is possible with a 90 and a skeg. That USCG rule applies to speeds above 30 mph and I like to say that I design those boats for less than 30 mph even if they all go faster.
I guess that the calculations may very well produce 115 or more HP for the C17 but it will not be able to do the avoidance test with more than 90.

Production boat builders are faced with a dilemma: announce a high max. HP that is attractive to the buyer or a low one to cover their liability.

Then, there is the fact that production boats are much heavier. 20 years ago, we went to a local boat ramp to test a PH18 made from ply-epoxy with foam components: 575 lbs! We had a 70 on the transom. Next to us, at the ramp was a brand new Maverick prototype with a 125. We had a better holeshot and top speed than the production boat with a lot less HP.

PS: what we call USCG calculations are, in the case of powering, ABYC industry standards, not USCG.

We are working on a new website and I will add text to the study plans to explain that the max. HP is my opinion. I may list two values: max. HP per USCG calcs and "designers opinion".
I totally understand

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:59 am
by Rmarsh
Hi Salty...I have a 60 hp Yamaha 4 stroke on my C17, it weighs about 240 lbs., at that weight the boat sits level in the water at its DWL. So keep in mind that a heavier engine may adversely affect the trim. Also...in five years of steady use......I have never once felt the need for more speed or power.
Bob

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:42 pm
by Salty F17
Can wait to get back started i order the the hull and transom wood so more drafting cutting and finally starting the glue and stitch process of the build also fter reviewing the oc17 and c17 plans I will be doing the oc panels on this build as they are the plans that wobblelegs and rmarsh used the plans seem to have switched the panels so I guess this is now the oc17 cc

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:51 am
by Salty F17

I have one more question? , is it ok to use 6566 for the bulkheads,sole and motorwell ?

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:36 am
by TomW1
Salty, yes BS 6566 Meranti is perfectly fine for those uses.

Tom

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:18 pm
by Salty F17
I had a question forJacquesmm how would I go about getting the capacity tag for the c17 ?

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 pm
by TomW1
Salty no need for one for home built boats in the US or LA. Many boats built in LA without one.

Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:00 am
by Salty F17
TomW1 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 pm Salty no need for one in the US or LA. Many boats built in LA without one.

Tom
I know I dont need one I just would like to have this. by the way thanks for the response tho

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:18 am
by TomW1
Understood Salty. Jacques can provide the provide the numbers if he has the time. It will be up to you then to get the tag printed. There was a company that would do this 6-8 years ago when another builder absolutely had to have a tag to the proper CG color size and printing sizes.

Good luck, and best wishes.

Tom

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 pm
by Knoxville_Jay

Excellent info, thanks!

I would also add that speed on the water is not like speed on land (as my dad would always say). At a certain point, going fast is no longer fun... its white-knuckle and nerve-wracking.

60 or 70 mph on the water sounds like it would be fun, but really, it isn't. It'dangerous.

I would say that 45 to 50 mph is the top speed that a recreational boater should aim for, especially since boats don't have breaks and we share the waterways with much slower craft.

Imagine if we had to share the interstate with joggers, roller skaters, skate boarders, walkers, bikers, etc. When you think about it, that's exactly what we do when we are on the water!

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
*brakes, not breaks, lol.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:12 pm
by Salty F17
So I picked up the my wood for the transom clamping boards stringers and panels today will have some new pics comings soon time to break out the saw and epoxy (excellent)in my MR .Burns voice from the Simpsons :lol:

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 pm
by Salty F17
I Cant seem to figure out why my pics turn sideways when I add them to the forum they are not sideways when I take them o well

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:48 am
by narfi
If I slightly crop my pictures on my phone before posting then they appear right side up.

Uncropped:
20181005_004327.jpg

Cropped
20181005_011553.jpg

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:33 am
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:48 am If I slightly crop my pictures on my phone before posting then they appear right side up.

Uncropped:
20181005_004327.jpg

Cropped
20181005_011553.jpg
Thanks I been tryna figure this out

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty F17 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 pm I Cant seem to figure out why my pics turn sideways when I add them to the forum they are not sideways when I take them o well
There should be an option to rotate them 90° left or 90° right when you upload them. If they always appear to be 90° left, try clicking the rotate 90° right button and then submit.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:23 pm
by Salty F17
So the rain cut my day short but I manage to get the transom , panels ,clamping boards cut and the bottom panels glued

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 pm
by Eric1
Progress!

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 pm
by Jeff
Salty, congratulations on your start!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:04 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looking GOOD!!

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Exciting!

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 pm
by atd10of12
Marine boards in began cutting panels.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm
by narfi
The fun begins :)
Looks like you have good help too, is that for the full build or just from time to time?

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm The fun begins :)
Looks like you have good help too, is that for the full build or just from time to time?
The full build pops is great

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm
by Eric1
Have fun Salty! :)

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 pm
by piperdown
Alright! Let the fun begin! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:14 pm
by atd10of12
Had the the boys with us helping out today.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm
by Salty F17
Cant wait to stitch tomorrow

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm
by Jeff
Salty, In the first photos, is that your dad and in the later photos your son's? Seems like some really good help!! Good start Salty!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm
by narfi
Going fast!
Three generations working on it is fun, great bonding time for all of you.
Ill bet your boys have their imaginations going wild with what they will be doing on and with the boat, I know my boy is with ours.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:29 pm
by atd10of12
Got the panels cut out.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm
by Fuzz
Like the other have said it is nothing but GREAT to have both your father and your sons helping with the build :D Keep posting and have fun with it. Lots of good memories will be made here.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm Salty, In the first photos, is that your dad and in the later photos your son's? Seems like some really good help!! Good start Salty!! Jeff
Yes that would be correct Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 pm
by Jeff
Really well done Salty, 3 generations building a boat together!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looking really good Salty! Great fun being a Gen3 build! :D

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:09 am
by Rmarsh
Salty....everything is looking good. It's great to see you, pops and the boys all getting involved. Your boys will learn something about boats....but also what a great dad they have!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Rmarsh wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:09 am Salty....everything is looking good. It's great to see you, pops and the boys all getting involved. Your boys will learn something about boats....but also what a great dad they have!
I agree 1,000,000% with this!!

Everything is looking really good!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:31 am
by TomW1
It is great to see another C17 going together. Especially working with 3 generations working on it. Your really nice work.

Tom

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm
by Salty F17
First set of stitches in feel like Dr Frankenstein

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm
by piperdown
Man, you are making great progress!

You might already know this but in case not...
I noticed the standard Philips head screws being used as spacers. That's a good idea but don't use them to screw down into wet epoxy. The bare screws will stick and the Philips head will strip out. Instead get some star or square head that are coated. I got some cheap star ones that were coated and 1 1/2" long. They spun right out. Picked this tip up from the (way!) more experienced builders here.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 pm
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm Man, you are making great progress!

You might already know this but in case not...
I noticed the standard Philips head screws being used as spacers. That's a good idea but don't use them to screw down into wet epoxy. The bare screws will stick and the Philips head will strip out. Instead get some star or square head that are coated. I got some cheap star ones that were coated and 1 1/2" long. They spun right out. Picked this tip up from the (way!) more experienced builders here.
Thank good idea

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:23 pm
by Fuzz
Do not try to get a perfect fit. Most wood workers have a problem with this but remember "gaps is good"
That saying saved my bacon cause I am a lousy carpenter :lol:

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 pm
by atd10of12
Stitch, stitch, stitch.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:42 pm
by Jeff
Looking good atd10of12 (Salty)!!! Hope you and the family have a nice weekend!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:51 pm
by atd10of12
Stitch stitch.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 pm
by OrangeQuest
If you are having fun now with the stitching then just wait till you start sanding, you will be having a blast!!

You are moving along and looking good!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:39 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Isn't it amazing how it all comes together? From a short stack of plywood to a real boat!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 pm If you are having fun now with the stitching then just wait till you start sanding, you will be having a blast!!

You are moving along and looking good!
:lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm
by Salty F17
And now glued yeah I can smell the salt water now

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:16 pm
by Fuzz
It is really neat when all of a sudden that plywood starts looking like a boat :D
I am pretty sure it is the camera angle but the stern half looks a little sway backed along the keel line. You will want to make sure the last 8 feet or so is dead straight. Said it before but it is great to see both your father and your sons involved in this project.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:09 pm
by atd10of12
Getting it done.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:20 pm
by jacquesmm
Looks good, that bow came together nicely.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:32 pm
by thb
Salty,

In one of your pictures it looks like the port side forward panel joint does not have any biax tape on the outside surface. Is that correct?

What caught my eye was the kink at that panel joint.

I would put biax tape of both sides of all panels before getting too far along. Just a suggestion.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:56 pm
by Salty F17
[quote=thb post_id=433648 time=1539469926 user_id=13003]
Salty,

In one of your pictures it looks like the port side forward panel joint does not have any biax tape on the outside surface. Is that correct?

What caught my eye was the kink at that panel joint.

I would put biax tape of both sides of all panels before getting too far along. Just a suggestion.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:53 pm
by OrangeQuest
Sorry Salty but it needs tape on both sides, you can see it flex.

But the boat is looking more and more like a boat!

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm
by Salty F17
It has tape on the inside I also so did add some glue to the seem but I guess a strip of tape cant hurt

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:41 am
by thb
Salty,

It looks like that panel joint is still kinked. Now that you have put wood flour and epoxy on it you will have a hard time getting it to lay straight like it should.

Speed of the build is one thing. Getting it right is another. We are here to help you.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:24 am
by Rmarsh
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm It has tape on the inside I also so did add some glue to the seem but I guess a strip of tape cant hurt
Looking good Salty.....To me it doesn't look like there is much of a kink....and when you put the upper panel over it (which will have the butt joint in a different spot) it will help straighten and strengthen that area....then a little fairing and you'll be fine.

Bob

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 am
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:41 am Salty,

It looks like that panel joint is still kinked. Now that you have put wood flour and epoxy on it you will have a hard time getting it to lay straight like it should.

Speed of the build is one thing. Getting it right is another. We are here to help you.

Regards
Tom
It may just be the wood could use a trim at the joint were the upper and lower panels join but It would be covered any way so I didn't worry bout it but it not kinked the panel is very smooth and flows with the side of the boat but it's good to know that all of y'all mean well and want me to get everything right thanks

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:24 am
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm It has tape on the inside I also so did add some glue to the seem but I guess a strip of tape cant hurt
Looking good Salty.....To me it doesn't look like there is much of a kink....and when you put the upper panel over it (which will have the butt joint in a different spot) it will help straighten and strengthen that area....then a little fairing and you'll be fine.
Thanks I would agree with you
Bob

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:12 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Looks great! I didn't tape the outside of my joints until *after* I glued the upper and lower panels together. I think the plans actually specifically say to do this so that the fiberglass on the joints doesn't interfere when you glue the panels together. But I could be wrong, it has been a couple of months since I did it. But if you go back through my thread you will see how I did the joints.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm
by Salty F17
Got caught in the rain again but Both panels on now just gotta sand the seams add more glue a lil bit of shaving on the upper panel at the front before tape

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm
by narfi
Its amazing how much bigger that looks than the FS17 even though they are the same length.
You are going to have a nice boat.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm
by Jeff
Salty, you are one fast builder!!! Sorry about the rain!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm Its amazing how much bigger that looks than the FS17 even though they are the same length.
You are going to have a nice boat.
I know that's why I picked the C17over the FS17 I wanted that bigger boat feel and the FS17 would cost the same as a center console C17 if you add the gunwales and console

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm Salty, you are one fast builder!!! Sorry about the rain!! Jeff
Not trying to be fast ,but having someone to help and a few free hours every day before work is key no worrie jeff I'm pretty sure you know how the weather can change in FLA as we almost have the same tropics

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:40 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Looking real good!

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:09 pm
by OrangeQuest
Is looking good! We have the same fast changing weather here in Houston too Salty! Sure does fill that space up!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:36 am
by Rmarsh
Salty F17 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm
Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm Salty, you are one fast builder!!! Sorry about the rain!! Jeff
Not trying to be fast ,but having someone to help and a few free hours every day before work is key no worrie jeff I'm pretty sure you know how the weather can change in FLA as we almost have the same tropics
Great progress! I have a saying "Momentum is your friend". Too many projects like this slow down ...for many reasons.... sometimes its being unsatisfied with anything less than perfect....and the enthusiasm subsides. Your approach....a few free hours every day before work...will help get you to the finish.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm
by Salty F17
Managed to get some sanding done still have a few small holes to fill prepping for the tape on the seams not much to show today

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm
by narfi
Looks good. Did you do any tape or anything on the inside to keep glue from dripping through?

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:10 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm Looks good. Did you do any tape or anything on the inside to keep glue from dripping through?
No I just built up the the glue so I could sand it down i didn't have a lot dripping through which was good

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 pm
by OrangeQuest
Salty if you had a cold beer in your hand it might look like you was enjoying the sanding! :)

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 pm Salty if you had a cold beer in your hand it might look like you was enjoying the sanding! :)
Yes it's fun I feel I a renaissance sculptor

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:40 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Ugh. The sanding. And then more sanding. And even more sanding after that. It just keeps coming. :lol: :D

This is my 5th build, and I don't think I sanded this much with the other 4 combined, lol!!

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 am
by thb
Salty,

You can not have too many power sanders. 5 or 6 is about right. 6 inch random orbital variable speed from harbor freight is good bargain for removing material quickly. A couple of porter cables but I had problems with the 6 inch one recently. Shaft sheared and almost impossible to repair. 5 inch one has had no problem.

Also good supply of sandpaper disks. I get all mine from Klingspor at Woodworking shop up in North Carolina. Can not beat the quality and the prices for their disks. I like 60 grit and 120 grit for most boat building jobs. 320 for final paint work.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:22 am
by OrangeQuest
It's fairly easy going on the sanding right now, everything is easy to get to and in the open. Wait till you flip her over and start on the inside, that's where the real fun starts. :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 am
by Salty F17
Took a break on the build to go fishing :D this weekend now it's back to work

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:26 am
by Jeff
Great fishing Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:46 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Yeah, I'd say you had a good day of fishing!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:12 pm
by thb
Salty,

That is more redfish ( about 37 ) than I have ever seen in one place. With a limit here of 1 per angler per day compared to your limit in La. of 5 per person sure makes a difference. What was the size of the two big guys in left front.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 pm
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:12 pm Salty,

That is more redfish ( about 37 ) than I have ever seen in one place. With a limit here of 1 per angler per day compared to your limit in La. of 5 per person sure makes a difference. What was the size of the two big guys in left front.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee
27 and 29 inches

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm
by Jeff
Nice fishing Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm
by Jaysen
And the slot limit... we can't keep anything that size.

Guess I need to consider LA ...

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 pm
by OrangeQuest
Nice bunch of fish! Our limit in Texas is 3 per day and nothing over 28 without a tag.
I like to keep redfish in the 20" to 22" range to eat, anything bigger and they get to many worms and risk heavy metals.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:38 pm
by Salty F17
Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm And the slot limit... we can't keep anything that size.

Guess I need to consider LA ...
Two boats 4 ppl per boat to get all them reds and we can keep one big boy per boat

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:40 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 pm Nice bunch of fish! Our limit in Texas is 3 per day and nothing over 28 without a tag.
I like to keep redfish in the 20" to 22" range to eat, anything bigger and they get to many worms and risk heavy metals.
No tags here just one 27 per boat 5 per person

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm
by OrangeQuest
We have to pull the tag off the license, one per year but for $5 you can buy one more tag per year.

I am happy with the 3 limit per day. That is 6 nice fillets and fish for a month. Trout on the other hand I will keep only one of a 10 trout per day. I don't freeze trout but LOVE them on the half shell grilled!

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:19 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm We have to pull the tag off the license, one per year but for $5 you can buy one more tag per year.

I am happy with the 3 limit per day. That is 6 nice fillets and fish for a month. Trout on the other hand I will keep only one of a 10 trout per day. I don't freeze trout but LOVE them on the half shell grilled!
We can keep 25 specks here

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:00 pm
by Salty F17
Its been slow this week cause of the weather but I managed to get the chine ,bottom of the transom taped started to close and shape the bow with some wood flour and some pieces of fiberglass also added a fillet on the panels

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm
by piperdown
Maybe I'm missing something since I'm not building a C17 but that looks like too wide a gap at the bow :doh:
I thought the panels were supposed to be in closer together than that. :help:

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:24 pm
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm Maybe I'm missing something since I'm not building a C17 but that looks like too wide a gap at the bow :doh:
I thought the panels were supposed to be in closer together than that. :help:
There is a lil gap that goes there but mine is only about 1.5 -2 inches should not be a problem i just added a strip of tape under the build up of wood flour and some chop pieces of fiber glass then I will come back on top of that with the tape that goes on the bow should be fine u wont even know that this was like that once it is sanded

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm
by Jaysen
"typically" you want some ply or other core for any gap over 1/2" (that's what JM told me). That or you build that section really thick with glass. I would think this would be even more critical in the actual bow. Remember that it's the wood core that gives the stitch and glue method the strength to support the relative thin FG layers.

Looks good. Keep it up.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm
by narfi
I have seen that same gap on a few builds on the forum here with boats using two lapped sheets on the sides. Some people fought with till it was tight and others they taped and filled like Salty is doing. Going from my bad memory, I think both ways ended up successful.
On my boat I ended up with a lot of overlaps at the bow and it has a lot of glass in that area, if I was worried about it and added a layer or two, I dont think there would be any issues either way.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:08 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm I have seen that same gap on a few builds on the forum here with boats using two lapped sheets on the sides. Some people fought with till it was tight and others they taped and filled like Salty is doing. Going from my bad memory, I think both ways ended up successful.
On my boat I ended up with a lot of overlaps at the bow and it has a lot of glass in that area, if I was worried about it and added a layer or two, I dont think there would be any issues either way.
I would amen this because I have seen the same thing on other builds too I would imagine that it will be strong either way as long as you build up on that spot

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:45 am
by Fuzz
From what I have seen the bow gap is most often caused by the outer panels being mounted too low. Not that it makes any difference at this point.

Your bow gap is going to be just fine. The way I look at it wood flour/epoxy is just very expensive plywood. It works just fine to fill small gaps and I see no reason it would not make a good core for filling large gaps.
You are making good progress keep it up :wink:

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:40 am
by Knoxville_Jay
It's really coming along now!!!

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 pm
by atd10of12
Gap closed on bow. How do you like it now? 8)

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 pm
by Salty F17
[quote=atd10of12 post_id=434681 time=1540771673 user_id=81620]
You can see the pieces of chop fiberglass that I mixed in the wood flour when I built u the bow through the wet tape just need to sand the edges of the tape probably start on the rub rails next and the fiberglass that covers the bottom of the hull

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:49 pm
by piperdown
That looks good!

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 pm
by Salty F17
Did some trimming to the upper panel yesterday to get ready for the rub railing

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:47 pm
by Jeff
Good looking work Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:47 pm
by Salty F17
First layer of the rub rail on

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:25 pm
by piperdown
Alright! Looking good!
Is your rubrail 3/4" thick when all layers are on or is it thicker than that?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:25 pm Alright! Looking good!
It is 3/4"

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:05 pm
by piperdown
Salty F17 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm
piperdown wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:25 pm Alright! Looking good!
It is 3/4"
Ah, wasn't sure since it's a bigger boat than what I am building.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:02 am
by Rmarsh
You are making a lot of progress. I am enjoying watching it come together.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:00 am
by OrangeQuest
You guys are making some really good progress.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:11 am
by Knoxville_Jay
The rub rail looks good!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:54 pm
by Salty F17
So the weather really slowed me down the pass two weeks I managed to prep the hull for fiberglass lots and lots of sanding so get the tape lines smooth the fiberglass is rolled out on the hull had to use some duck tape to hold it down as it has been very windy

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 pm
by Salty F17
Got my shipment today thanks Jeff .I will be putting some epoxy down tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm
by piperdown
Nice to see you back at it Salty :D

I hear you on the weather. Been below freezing here and my garage is only getting to about 45 degrees. Not conductive to using epoxy..

Boat is really taking shape nicely!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm Nice to see you back at it Salty :D

I hear you on the weather. Been below freezing here and my garage is only getting to about 45 degrees. Not conductive to using epoxy..

Boat is really taking shape nicely!
I've been working in the shadows just dont have any pics of all the pain in tha ass sanding so itchy lol

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:04 pm
by Bogieman
Nice work, Salty!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm
by OrangeQuest
It is going to be a pain to pull that tape off! 8O
To smooth your glass out before epoxy use a soft painter's brush and gently brush all the wrinkles away. It will match the contour under the glass perfect. Stay away from the edges as it will pull the fibers loose. Hope you guys have some nice weather for the glassing!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:25 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm It is going to be a pain to pull that tape off! 8O
To smooth your glass out before epoxy use a soft painter's brush and gently brush all the wrinkles away. It will match the contour under the glass perfect. Stay away from the edges as it will pull the fibers loose. Hope you guys have some nice weather for the glassing!
I did think of that as this has to be the cheapest brand of duck tape it barely sticks to anything lol it should be a good day tomorrow for glassing

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:13 pm
by thb
Salty,

Ken ( stickystuff ) told me about using baby powder on your arms to protect you from getting the itches from sanding glass. Try it. I keep a bottle in the shop and it works great.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:29 pm
by jacquesmm
I confirm that, it works.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 pm
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:13 pm Salty,

Ken ( stickystuff ) told me about using baby powder on your arms to protect you from getting the itches from sanding glass. Try it. I keep a bottle in the shop and it works great.

Regards
Tom
Thanks noted

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:36 pm
by Salty F17
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:29 pm I confirm that, it works.
I had a ? For you is it possible the narrow the gunwales r do they have the be 8 inches and is so how narrow can I make them ?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm
by Salty F17
Glass on the hull baby :D

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 pm
by OrangeQuest
Man, if someone blinks around you they miss a lot!! I take it the duct tape wasn't an issue?
Hope that weather in the back ground holds up for you. The boat is looking good!

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:06 pm
by Jeff
Nice Salty!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:36 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 pm Man, if someone blinks around you they miss a lot!! I take it the duct tape wasn't an issue?
Hope that weather in the back ground holds up for you. The boat is looking good!
No I used cheapest duck tape I could find the only thing it stuck to was it self lol but the glass was covered on the hull for bout two weeks when I got ready to remove the tape the fiberglass fit like a glove no problem at all took bout two hours and 1.7gals of epoxy to do it

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 pm
by jacquesmm
That boat looks so big!
The C17/19 and 21 are all very big boats for their length.

Yes, you can make the gunwale narrower. Try to keep them 4" or more.
Narrower than 8 makes it difficult to install rod holders: you need a nice backing plate.
The gunwales are stiffeners. Also, when you lean against the coaming, with an 8" gunwale and that flare, your toes are under the gunwales, you are more stable. A wide gunwale is ergonomically safer.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 am
by Rmarsh
Looking good Salty.....and Jacques makes some good points about the gunnel width.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:22 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 am Looking good Salty.....and Jacques makes some good points about the gunnel width.
I know I have not decided if I was going to do that yet

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 am
by Salty F17
Have a ? For you guys
l do you guys think I should do fairing before I put on the spray rail or after what yall think ?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am
by pee wee
It will be easier to decide once it's flipped, especially after you can see where the sole and hull meet- plumb up from there and see what you've got.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 am
by Salty F17
pee wee wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am It will be easier to decide once it's flipped, especially after you can see where the sole and hull meet- plumb up from there and see what you've got.
I won't be waiting till the boat is flipped as I dont want to flip twice to paint all of this will be done before paint

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 am
by Eric1
I faired before the flip. I think it is easier to doe while the bottom is up. I also painted prior to flipping with the intent of doing final paint later.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 am
by cape man
I would fair first as it will be much easier without the spray rail in the way. Then you will just have to fair around it, making sure it transitions into the hull. I agree to do it before the flip! I am going to install a spray rail on my OD 18 which is almost 8 years old. Plan is to sand the area where it will attach only. Would have been so much easier to do originally after fairing the hull upside down.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am
by pee wee
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:36 pm
I had a ? for you is it possible to narrow the gunwales or do they have to be 8 inches and if so how narrow can I make them ?
Salty F17 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 am
pee wee wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am It will be easier to decide once it's flipped, especially after you can see where the sole and hull meet- plumb up from there and see what you've got.
I won't be waiting till the boat is flipped as I dont want to flip twice to paint all of this will be done before paint
Sorry, I should have quoted your question about the gunwale in my reply! There's a happy medium on gunwale (or side deck?) width that will be easier to see when you can stand on the sole. Decide later.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 am
by Salty F17
pee wee wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:36 pm
I had a ? for you is it possible to narrow the gunwales or do they have to be 8 inches and if so how narrow can I make them ?
Salty F17 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 am
Sorry, I should have quoted your question about the gunwale in my reply! There's a happy medium on gunwale (or side deck?) width that will be easier to see when you can stand on the sole. Decide later.
Ahh makes sense the gunwale will definitely be done once I flip I was just asking ahead that's how far I be planing ahead even tho I'm not on that part of the boat yet so when I get to it it go's smooth and dont take a lot of time cause it's been mapped out in my head lol

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 am
by OrangeQuest
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 am
Ahh makes sense the gunwale will definitely be done once I flip I was just asking ahead that's how far I be planing ahead even tho I'm not on that part of the boat yet so when I get to it it go's smooth and dont take a lot of time cause it's been mapped out in my head lol
I know the feeling! As soon as I got the plans:
Mapped out where I wanted things and trying to explain to others:
And where I am now, not much changed on the over all plan in my mind as I see it becoming a reality.
I am still not to the front deck yet but keeping a visual of what it all will look like never hurts.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am
by jacquesmm
Excellent, that's the way to do it.
The layout in the drive way is a great starting point. The final (or close to final) result matches what you planned.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Dang, I'm gone a few days and come back and had to read 5 pages of comments, lol!

The boat is looking really good, salty!

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:12 pm
by Salty F17
Did a lil bit of fishing this weekend with some buddies

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 am
by Jeff
Nice Salty!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:09 pm
by Salty F17
So I finally finished the rubrails and started the fairing today

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:18 pm
by narfi
Looks good!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:24 pm
by Jeff
Nice Salty!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:49 pm
by OrangeQuest
Is looking good! Looks like a lot of sanding going on too!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:56 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:49 pm Is looking good! Looks like a lot of sanding going on too!
Just a lil bit 8)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 pm
by thb
HI Salty,

I would glass the sides with 6 oz or something like that in order to protect the plywood from checking which will occur in the hot humid climate we have in the South. If you have to refinish the sides later due to checking, you will not be a happy camper. I had to do this with my FL12 after only one year in the sun.

It would not add much weight and you will be glad later on, trust me.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 pm
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 pm HI Salty,

I would glass the sides with 6 oz or something like that in order to protect the plywood from checking which will occur in the hot humid climate we have in the South. If you have to refinish the sides later due to checking, you will not be a happy camper. I had to do this with my FL12 after only one year in the sun.

It would not add much weight and you will be glad later on, trust me.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee
I was planning on fiberglassing the whole hull I was going to use the 12oz I have u think that would be to heavy

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:11 am
by thb
HI Salty,

12 oz would be fine and not too heavy in my opinion. Of course I over build everything. I was just noticing in your recent pictures on fairing, the lack of glass on the sides. I would be fairing sides and bottom at the same time and then painting or priming before flipping to work on the inside. Glassing the sides would be easier with the hull in the present position.

Are you doing epoxy/ graphite on the bottom after you finish the fairing?

Regards
Tom

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 am
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:11 am HI Salty,

12 oz would be fine and not too heavy in my opinion. Of course I over build everything. I was just noticing in your recent pictures on fairing, the lack of glass on the sides. I would be fairing sides and bottom at the same time and then painting or priming before flipping to work on the inside. Glassing the sides would be easier with the hull in the present position.

Are you doing epoxy/ graphite on the bottom after you finish the fairing?

Regards
Tom
I just didn't put the glass on the panel yet it will be done before the flip I didn't have enough epoxy to finish the panel at the bottom so I decided to to play with the fairing and yes I will be doing graphite

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 am
by OrangeQuest
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 am I just didn't put the glass on the panel yet it will be done before the flip I didn't have enough epoxy to finish the panel at the bottom so I decided to to play with the fairing and yes I will be doing graphite
I do the same thing! I am on a very restricted budget and when I run out of supplies to continue with what I am doing I jump to another area that I do have supplies for. I do NOT like sanding and so I try to knock out little areas at a time when I only have a little bit of time to fill. (I keep well stocked in sand paper) If you don't mind me saying, instead of letting the epoxy run down and cure, spread it over the bare wood so it saves on the epoxy and the sanding. You have to wet the wood anyways before you lay the glass. It will save you from wetting it when you lay the epoxy and you then use less epoxy. Of course I may be wrong and you love sanding as much as you love fishing! :lol: :lol:
:wink:

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 am
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 am I just didn't put the glass on the panel yet it will be done before the flip I didn't have enough epoxy to finish the panel at the bottom so I decided to to play with the fairing and yes I will be doing graphite
I do the same thing! I am on a very restricted budget and when I run out of supplies to continue with what I am doing I jump to another area that I do have supplies for. I do NOT like sanding and so I try to knock out little areas at a time when I only have a little bit of time to fill. (I keep well stocked in sand paper) If you don't mind me saying, instead of letting the epoxy run down and cure, spread it over the bare wood so it saves on the epoxy and the sanding. You have to wet the wood anyways before you lay the glass. It will save you from wetting it when you lay the epoxy and you then use less epoxy. Of course I may be wrong and you love sanding as much as you love fishing! :lol: :lol:
:wink:

I did scrap the excess epoxy when I was running that's what u see the epoxy stain when i was using the putty trowel to get it up so I kinda coated I guess. I do try to knock out the whole boat when I do sand I usually spend a day for two on just sanding alone

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm
by Fuzz
Oh to be young and strong. Able to sand all day long. That ship has sailed for some of us :cry:

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Hi Salty,
Just found your build thread. Read it all.
You are doing a great job!
The fish better watch out, your boat is going to be the “Salty Slayer” when you finish building her!!

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 pm
by Salty F17
Fuzz wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm Oh to be young and strong. Able to sand all day long. That ship has sailed for some of us :cry:
Im on the boat just haven't left the dock yet :lol:

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:20 pm
by Salty F17
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 pm Hi Salty,
Just found your build thread. Read it all.
You are doing a great job!
The fish better watch out, your boat is going to be the “Salty Slayer” when you finish building her!!
Lol funny name

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm
by Fuzz
Salty Slayer.....................I do think your boat has just been named. And I like it :D

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 pm
by Salty F17
Fuzz wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm Salty Slayer.....................I do think your boat has just been named. And I like it :D
Not really feeling it tho but sense yall are dropping boat names let hear some :?: always open to ideas

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 pm
by Fuzz
Naming a boat is always is always tough. Naming them for your mother or a daughter is always an option but then you have to be careful how you talk about them :roll:

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 am
by TomW1
Naming a boat is always a challenge. My No Excuse is named because Cracker Larry made no excuses in building it. Richard is building an FS18 named Bare Bones as he was keeping it nice and simple. :lol: :lol: Salty Slayer does not hit me for a C17. Maybe Fish Gitter, since it can go inshore and offshore on good days. But that doesn't sound right either. My favorite name for a boat has to do with the location and the types of fish in the area or a unusual character of the area. Good luck on your decision.

Tom

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:40 am
by Salty F17
TomW1 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 am Naming a boat is always a challenge. My No Excuse is named because Cracker Larry made no excuses in building it. Richard is building an FS18 named Bare Bones as he was keeping it nice and simple. :lol: :lol: Salty Slayer does not hit me for a C17. Maybe Fish Gitter, since it can go inshore and offshore on good days. But that doesn't sound right either. My favorite name for a boat has to do with the location and the types of fish in the area or a unusual character of the area. Good luck on your decision.

Tom
I have a few I like (C-Monster keep in mind that the color of the boat will be citrus green with black graphite bottom , IT'S O-FISH-AL, Don't Like Yours Either ,Reel Addicted ,Maranti Queen ,SemperFi which means Always faithful )what ya think so far ?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:04 am
by piperdown
I like Reel Addicted personally.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:17 am
by Salty F17
Early morning bite

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 am
by OrangeQuest
Nice!

So someone ask you the name of your boat, "it's a REEL ADDICTION"

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 am
by Jeff
Nice catch Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:28 pm
by piperdown
Great looking fish!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:00 pm
by TomW1
Nice fish. REEL ADDICTION rolls off the tongue real nicely it would be a good name.

Tom

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 am
by thb
Hi Salty,

Nice Trout. How big was it?

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 am
by Salty F17
thb wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 am Hi Salty,

Regards
Tom
I didn't measure it but it was as big as the cooler lid

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am
by OrangeQuest
Salty F17 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 am
thb wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 am Hi Salty,

Regards
Tom
I didn't measure it but it was as big as the cooler lid
How big is the cooler lid? :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 pm
by narfi
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am
About the same size as that fish he caught.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm
by OrangeQuest
narfi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 pm
8O :doh:

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm
narfi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 pm
8O :doh:
So for all the jokers out there lol I did a measurement of the cooler lid it 22inches so ima say that the speck was bout 21 and a quarter or half give or take

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 am
by OrangeQuest
That is a nice fish Salty!

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:19 am
by Rmarsh
[/quote]I have a few I like (C-Monster keep in mind that the color of the boat will be citrus green with black graphite bottom , IT'S O-FISH-AL, Don't Like Yours Either ,Reel Addicted ,Maranti Queen ,SemperFi which means Always faithful )what ya think so far ?
[/quote]

I like your idea for the colors...vivid.....going to look very cool 8)
We considered names for our C17.... boat but no consensus so no lettering was ever done.
I know your having some good times fishing right now...and probably waiting for more supplies for the boat.
Keep up the good work.....I can assure you that yours will be a fishing machine you will be proud of.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 am
by mohrscott
So I gave up on the C19; not enough space in my garage. C17 molds are cut; cutting transom this week end and off we go! Will be watching as you as you progress. I will post my progress.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 am
by Salty F17
mohrscott wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 am So I gave up on the C19; not enough space in my garage. C17 molds are cut; cutting transom this week end and off we go! Will be watching as you as you progress. I will post my progress.
That's great I will be look forward to your build there can never be enough c17 builds on the site. are u doing the cabin or center console I'm do a cc on mines I will add you to my friend list also

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:27 am
by Salty F17
The boat has been named guys the family finally agreed on Geauxin Catchin (aka the cajun way to spell Going Catching.) I'm have been working on the design to give you guys a peek soon 😎 . Also was looking for a place that I can get the design printed so I can just stick it to the side of the boat instead if painting it ,do yall know any website's I could check out 🤔?

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 am
by narfi
You want a vinyl sticker or a mask for painting? The mask is easy to use and looks better imo. (You can look at my finished canoe to see what I'm talking about)

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 am You want a vinyl sticker or a mask for painting? The mask is easy to use and looks better imo. (You can look at my finished canoe to see what I'm talking about)
Were do I find one that I can use my own design when I search mask I see they have there on fonts already

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:33 am
by Jeff
Nice name Salty!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:23 pm
by Salty F17
As promised the preview of the design

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:30 pm
by Jeff
Nice design Salty!! I like it!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:30 pm Nice design Salty!! I like it!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff now I just gotta find a way to get the vinyl

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm
by narfi
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

Were do I find one that I can use my own design when I search mask I see they have there on fonts already
I use this company for work, and had them do the masks for my sons canoe as well.

http://aerographics.com/reg.php

They do custom masks as well as work with you on size etc, and give you a preview before cutting it to make sure its what you want.
They cut custom logo masks and decals both for the company I work for, will print in reverse if for instance you want to make some placards or signs on clear lexan painted on the back so the text cant be damaged by scratching. lots of options, but you just want them to take your custom design and make a paint mask, if you call and talk to them, they will probably have you email them the pdf of your design and they will verify size etc... and cut it for your as many as you want.

The cool thing is that if they have the design they can make little ones too if you wanted little extras around for that extra touch, for instance something on your CC, or maybe that fishing rod and line on your hatch lids or seat backs, wouldnt be overdoing the name that way, but with the rod from the name graphic you tie everything together very nicely.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:23 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

I use this company for work, and had them do the masks for my sons canoe as well.

http://aerographics.com/reg.php

They do custom masks as well as work with you on size etc, and give you a preview before cutting it to make sure its what you want.
They cut custom logo masks and decals both for the company I work for, will print in reverse if for instance you want to make some placards or signs on clear lexan painted on the back so the text cant be damaged by scratching. lots of options, but you just want them to take your custom design and make a paint mask, if you call and talk to them, they will probably have you email them the pdf of your design and they will verify size etc... and cut it for your as many as you want.

The cool thing is that if they have the design they can make little ones too if you wanted little extras around for that extra touch, for instance something on your CC, or maybe that fishing rod and line on your hatch lids or seat backs, wouldnt be overdoing the name that way, but with the rod from the name graphic you tie everything together very nicely.
Those are good ideas thanks I will check them out

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 am
by Salty F17
I have a ? For jacquesmm what extra would I have do to do to the boat to safely add a 90 hp 115hp I've seen ppl say to add another layer of glass to the bottom of the hull but I wanted to make sure

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 am
by cape man
Any decent sign shop should be able to take a file and put it on vinyl. Like Narfi said, they can scale it to any size. Putting it on is easy.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:57 am
by Browndog
BoatUS has a department that does vinyl stickers for boat names and registration numbers, etc. That is where I got mine done for my brother’s FS-19.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:27 pm
by piperdown
jacquesmm wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am Excellent, that's the way to do it.
The layout in the drive way is a great starting point. The final (or close to final) result matches what you planned.
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 am I have a ? For jacquesmm what extra would I have do to do to the voat to safely add a 90 hp 115hp I've seen ppl say to add another layer of glass to the bottom of the hull but I wanted to make sure
Salty has the above question. I don't think tags are enabled on this forum so quoting is the only way I know to get someones attention.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 am
by Rmarsh
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 am I have a ? For jacquesmm what extra would I have do to do to the voat to safely add a 90 hp 115hp I've seen ppl say to add another layer of glass to the bottom of the hull but I wanted to make sure
Salty....I'm sure Jacques will answer when he gets a chance, but as an owner/builder of a C17, I will offer my 2 cents worth. :)

My concern about the higher than recomended HP outboard would be the extra weight on the stern causing the boat to be out of trim on its waterline, unless you balance it with a lot of weight in the bow. That extra weight will need more power to get on plane and maintain cruising speed. In my opinion those outboards are too big, too heavy and too much power for this boat.
I have a 60 hp that weighs 240 lbs....the boat sits level in the water and gets on plane without effort. Cruising speed is in the mid 20's mph and top end in the low 30's. Fuel economy is also a big consideration..... bigger engine means more fuel...heavier boat needs more power to travel same distance...need bigger fuel tank etc. Also with a bigger engine and faster speed there would be a lot more stress and load on the structural components....not sure that more glass would help?
One question is how fast do you want/need to go?
Hope this is helpful to you.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:39 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 am
Salty....I'm sure Jacques will answer when he gets a chance, but as an owner/builder of a C17, I will offer my 2 cents worth. :)

My concern about the higher than recomended HP outboard would be the extra weight on the stern causing the boat to be out of trim on its waterline, unless you balance it with a lot of weight in the bow. That extra weight will need more power to get on plane and maintain cruising speed. In my opinion those outboards are too big, too heavy and too much power for this boat.
I have a 60 hp that weighs 240 lbs....the boat sits level in the water and gets on plane without effort. Cruising speed is in the mid 20's mph and top end in the low 30's. Fuel economy is also a big consideration..... bigger engine means more fuel...heavier boat needs more power to travel same distance...need bigger fuel tank etc. Also with a bigger engine and faster speed there would be a lot more stress and load on the structural components....not sure that more glass would help?
One question is how fast do you want/need to go?
Hope this is helpful to you.
Yea I understood what you are saying but reading other ppl post about the use of a 75-90 hp they say you need to beef the boat up so I wanted to know what all would need to be done to do so I see lots of 75-90 hp outboard available in my area that's why I asked.I know the spec with the 60hp but I was curious what more had to be done if it possible to safely add these size outboards because the plans as is are not designed for them

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:28 am
by swglenn
The 4 Stroke 90 HP motors weigh about 350 Lbs.vs your 240 Lbs. That is a lot of extra weight on the back of a 17' boat. As for performance, when I was motor shopping for my boat the dealer was trying to upsize me from a 90 to a 115. They weigh the same as they are the same motor. I asked him how much more speed would I be getting for the extra 25 HP and after hemming and hawing he admitted 3-5 mph. I didn't think the 3-5 mph was worth an extra $2,000. My cruise speed at 4000 RPM (about 31 mph) would have also gone up a little but I am not in that much of a hurry. After buying the 90 HP motor I am very pleased with the performance and have never felt slighted about not having that extra 3-5 mph in my Phantom.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:48 am
by Salty F17
swglenn wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:28 am The 4 Stroke 90 HP motors weigh about 350 Lbs.vs your 240 Lbs. That is a lot of extra weight on the back of a 17' boat. As for performance, when I was motor shopping for my boat the dealer was trying to upsize me from a 90 to a 115. They weigh the same as they are the same motor. I asked him how much more speed would I be getting for the extra 25 HP and after hemming and hawing he admitted 3-5 mph. I didn't think the 3-5 mph was worth an extra $2,000. My cruise speed at 4000 RPM (about 31 mph) would have also gone up a little but I am not in that much of a hurry. After buying the 90 HP motor I am very pleased with the performance and have never felt slighted about not having that extra 3-5 mph in my Phantom.
But there is only weight difference of 150 pounds and 10 inches between the c17 and the ph18 so I sure there is a way to do so maybe Im wrong

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 pm
by jacquesmm
The C17 is designed for 50 HP, it will go 25 mph with that. A 60 or a 75 is fine. A 90 is getting unsafe, a 115 is excessive.
It is not a matter of strength but one of safe handling.
If you want to do it, double the fiberglass at the bottom, transom and stringers. I do not condone that much HP. It is common in heavy fiberglass production boats but excessive for a C17.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm
by Salty F17
jacquesmm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 pm The C17 is designed for 50 HP, it will go 25 mph with that. A 60 or a 75 is fine. A 90 is getting unsafe, a 115 is excessive.
It is not a matter of strength but one of safe handling.
If you want to do it, double the fiberglass at the bottom, transom and stringers. I do not condone that much HP. It is common in heavy fiberglass production boats but excessive for a C17.
Thanks for clearing that up for me

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 pm
by Salty F17
So we started the spray rails this week

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:31 pm
by piperdown
Are those corner trim pieces for the splash rails? Did you coat the inside with neat epoxy?
Never would have thought of that.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:31 pm Are those corner trim pieces for the splash rails? Did you coat the inside with neat epoxy?
Yes they are corner trim, I did use a tube of 610 west system epoxy that I had, I still need to put some fillets and glass them down also will be glassing in the top panels to then back to fairing

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 am
by OrangeQuest
Really good thinking outside the box Salty!

No fishing this weekend?

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:40 am
by piperdown
Salty F17 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm
piperdown wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:31 pm Are those corner trim pieces for the splash rails? Did you coat the inside with neat epoxy?
Yes they are corner trim, I did use a tube of 610 west system epoxy that I had, I still need to put some fillets and glass them down also will be glassing in the top panels to then back to fairing
That's pretty darn ingenious!

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:34 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 am Really good thinking outside the box Salty!

No fishing this weekend?
Thanks and no not this week I been getting ready for the next step on the build

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:35 am
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:40 am
Salty F17 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm
That's pretty darn ingenious!
Thanks PD

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 pm
by OrangeQuest
Hey! You guys get frost bite and done for the winter? How is your build coming?

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 pm Hey! You guys get frost bite vand done for the winter? How is your build coming?
Lol good one the weather has been bad between the rain and low temps i have not been able to finish the fairing ,i have glassed the the whole outside of hull though just need a warm day with no rain

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:17 pm
by Jeff
Good to hear from you Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 pm
by OrangeQuest
I know the feeling Salty! Hope you are getting some fishing in.

We have pretty close to the same weather here in Houston. We had a few days that it warmed up but I wasn't ready for them.

Hoping for fair weather soon for the both of us! :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 pm I know the feeling Salty! Hope you are getting some fishing in.

We have pretty close to the same weather here in Houston. We had a few days that it warmed up but I wasn't ready for them.

Hoping for fair weather soon for the both of us! :wink:
Yep i kno exactly what u mean the weather here is like the main character of the movie split never kno what personality u get day to day

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 am
by OrangeQuest
I did a little glass work Sunday. Temp in the warehouse was 60 and climbing. My office manager checked it yesterday and said it was hard to the touch. I am off Monday and Tuesday and my build is at my work.

Today another front is coming in but looks like you guys are getting more rain from it than we did last night.

Tight lines Salty!

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 am
by Salty F17
Time to pull the cover off the c17 ,back to work you guys pics coming soon

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:38 am
by OrangeQuest
Salty F17 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 am Time to pull the cover off the c17 ,back to work you guys pics coming soon
I seen you posted on a few threads yesterday, hope all is going well.

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:32 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:38 am
Salty F17 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 am Time to pull the cover off the c17 ,back to work you guys pics coming soon
I seen you posted on a few threads yesterday, hope all is going well.
Yes everything is fine i got pulled in to the world of rc cars and drones for a min lol :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
by Salty F17
Finally back at it one full coat of fairing done .A lil bit of sanding then on to the 2nd coat

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:12 pm
by Fuzz
I am glad to see you back at it. I was just wondering the other day what was happening with your build.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 pm
by Jeff
Good to see you back building Salty!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:46 pm
by Salty F17
Fuzz wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:12 pm I am glad to see you back at it. I was just wondering the other day what was happening with your build.
:lol: drones and rc cars pulled my attention for a lil bit
But im a boat hull maker cant say builder yet :lol: till i finish but nothing gonna stop this build

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 pm Good to see you back building Salty!!!! Jeff
Good to hear from you to jeff always a pleasure

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm
by OrangeQuest
Bout time you be posting some pictures of a few fishing trips too!! Good to see that good looking hull of yours again.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 am
by Rmarsh
Hull looks good Salty!.........A "little sanding" and you'll be ready for primer :wink:
Actually its alot of sanding ...but i'm sure you know that. A good dual action sander, a few dozen 80 grit disks, and a flexible longboard, will reveal areas that may need more fairing compound, before priming. Did you make your final decision on the shade of green you will paint your hull? I look forward to seeing it.
Bob

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 am Hull looks good Salty!.........A "little sanding" and you'll be ready for primer :wink:
Actually its alot of sanding ...but i'm sure you know that. A good dual action sander, a few dozen 80 grit disks, and a flexible longboard, will reveal areas that may need more fairing compound, before priming. Did you make your final decision on the shade of green you will paint your hull? I look forward to seeing it.
Bob
Good to here from ya im getting ready to start the sanding for the day now .i have not changed the color i will be doing the citrus green

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
The sanding never seems to end! :lol:

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 pm
by Salty F17
Knoxville_Jay wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 pm The sanding never seems to end! :lol:
Nope if ur not covered in dry epoxy and resin and fairing blend then ur not doing it right :lol:

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty, that is so true. No matter how clean you think you'll be, its inevitable!

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:25 pm
by Salty F17
I finally finished putting the flare on my bottom spray rails 8) trying to do something just a little bit different i just need to let it dry, tape them down and back to sanding&fairing the hull again

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Very snappy looking! Great work!

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 pm
by OrangeQuest
Very good looking! Where did all the help go? :lol:

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 pm Very good looking! Where did all the help go? :lol:
There still here were just startling to get back in the flow of things

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am
by Salty F17
The beautiful view for the day!

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:15 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Great to see you back at it. :)

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:18 pm
by Jeff
I agree with AA, good to have you back on the boat!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:34 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Keep those photos coming!

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm
by Salty F17
After a long days of sanding i was able to start the 2nd coat of fairing untill the rain stoped me but ole well here is a pic for the day starting to look smooth

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:35 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Looking really good Salty!!

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 pm
by mohrscott
One of the toughest steps IMO....keep at it, it looks great!

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm
by Salty F17
mohrscott wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 pm One of the toughest steps IMO....keep at it, it looks great!
I wouldn't really say toughest but it definitely has a learning curve that a first time user will have to get use to but i switched to the quikfair over the bbc blend i really like using the quikfair its easier to work with

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:31 pm
by OrangeQuest
It is looking good!

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:41 pm
by Salty F17
Sanded with a long board this side is ready for next coat of quikfair on to the other side

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:45 pm
by Salty F17
Time to start the other side. Damn rain wont quit 🤬geuss i gotta wait 😤TO GET BACK STARTED

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty, are you liking the Quickfair? I'm thinking about switching to Quickfair over the West System for the topsides.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 am
by Salty F17
Knoxville_Jay wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm Salty, are you liking the Quickfair? I'm thinking about switching to Quickfair over the West System for the topsides.
Yes very easy to sand and use. Recommended

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:23 am
by Jeff
Thank you for the recommendation Salty regarding QuickFair!! KJ, never had a complaint on the stuff!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:06 pm
by Salty F17
Finally was able to beat the fairing monster up today ahh what a feeling to be done with the major fixes just put the guide coat on to touch up any high and lows and hit it with the long board , but i think i will need just a light touch up with quikfair then on to primer and graphite

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm
by Jeff
Good progress Salty!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm
by piperdown
I agree with Jeff, that's some great progress Salty!! :D

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:35 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm Good progress Salty!! Jeff
Had pops on the job with me today he the best made everything thing go real fast and smooth i could have got the sanding done also but we decided to call it a day ,but you know you gotta keep the fans wanting more 8)

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm I agree with Jeff, that's some great progress Salty!! :D
Thanks tryna catch up to the other c17 builds we all are around the same progress

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 pm
by narfi
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm
Thanks tryna catch up to the other c17 builds we all are around the same progress
That helps a lot.
There was another HC14 being build on the forum here same time as I built mine and there are a couple FS17s going on right now at similar stages to where I am, I keep a real close eye on them to learn what I haven't thought about or mistakes I might make before I make them.

It is a really good community here, Jeff and crew really do a good job of cultivating that.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:02 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 pm
That helps a lot.
There was another HC14 being build on the forum here same time as I built mine and there are a couple FS17s going on right now at similar stages to where I am, I keep a real close eye on them to learn what I haven't thought about or mistakes I might make before I make them.

It is a really good community here, Jeff and crew really do a good job of cultivating that.
Totally agree couldn't have done what i have with out them ,i have a few ideas i might have to steal :lol: from other builds not just c17's that i check out

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:37 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:06 pm Finally was able to beat the fairing monster up today ahh what a feeling to be done with the major fixes just put the guide coat on to touch up any high and lows and hit it with the long board , but i think i will need just a light touch up with quikfair then on to primer and graphite
Looking really good, Salty!

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:49 am
by OrangeQuest
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:02 pm
narfi wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 pm
That helps a lot.

Totally agree couldn't have done what i have with out them ,i have a few ideas i might have to steal :lol: from other builds not just c17's that i check out
What you guys are talking about I could not agree with more. I love reading what ALL the builders are doing and how they go about doing it. It is also very good that a designer will step in when needed to keep us all on track. ( In my case they may read what I am planning and just shake their heads :lol: )

I don't think anyone on here share their ideas to make it their own but to share so others WILL use them if they would like. Also how many of us would have the peace of mind knowing we did it right because others shared with us the right way of doing things. Shortens the learning curve by years in some cases.

Salty, your hull is really looking good but hope one arm is not to much bigger than the other from all the sanding!! :D

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:23 am
by Salty F17
Salty, your hull is really looking good but hope one arm is not to much bigger than the other from all the sanding!! :D
[/quote]

Gotta use my💪🏾to get the hull right ,also is it just me or did one side if the hull seam like i was less difficult to fair 🤔

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:11 pm
by Salty F17
After several long hours of sanding finally starting to see the finish line with this fairing just need to fair the splash rails and skeg and a few pin hole i spotted

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:27 pm
by Salty F17
8)

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm
by mohrscott
Salty; your fairing looks great! I didn't use a long board much and regretted it after i painted. I try to remember that I am going to use my boat, not hang it in a museum! Do you have the color scheme settled yet?

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:38 pm
by Salty F17
mohrscott wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm Salty; your fairing looks great! I didn't use a long board much and regretted it after i painted. I try to remember that I am going to use my boat, not hang it in a museum! Do you have the color scheme settled yet?
I used the long board for some parts of the hull but i found it easier to fair with a ro sander for most of the work , citrus green( emc paint)and black is the colors i will be going with

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 am
by Knoxville_Jay
That fairing looks great!

I would definitely suggest spending a day with a longboard. I thought my boat was very fair until the longboard proved me wrong, especially near the edges. The longboard found high spots that my eyes just couldn't see (even side lighting with halogen work lights).

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:17 am
by piperdown
Salty are you going to fair the rub rails when the boat is upright or are they already faired? I was thinking of finishing my rub rails after I flip. Was curious on your's.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:33 am
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:17 am Salty are you going to fair the rub rails when the boat is upright or are they already faired? I was thinking of finishing my rub rails after I flip. Was curious on your's.
They are partially faired im working on them now

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:15 pm
by Salty F17
Knoxville_Jay wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 am That fairing looks great!

I would definitely suggest spending a day with a longboard. I thought my boat was very fair until the longboard proved me wrong, especially near the edges. The longboard found high spots that my eyes just couldn't see (even side lighting with halogen work lights).
I was still planing to do so wanted to wait till i i finish the fairing on the rails earlier today but there done ,nowi have a new problem the damn sanding pad on my sander wont hold the sandpaper nomore so i had to order one today wont be here till later in the week so i probably wont get to primer till this weekend

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:29 pm
by Salty F17
Paint ordered can wait 8) :D

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 am
by Dougster
3M spray adhesive. Stick the paper on the pad and keep going.

Been there Dougster

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 am
by Salty F17
Dougster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 am 3M spray adhesive. Stick the paper on the pad and keep going.

Been there Dougster
That was going to be my plan today so i can sand my spay rails down then i can finish up with the long board

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:10 am
by piperdown
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 am
Dougster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 am 3M spray adhesive. Stick the paper on the pad and keep going.

Been there Dougster
That was going to be my plan today so i can sand my spay rails down then i can finish up with the long board
Get the light 3M spray adhesive, nothing more. I got the stronger one, big mistake!

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:05 pm
by Salty F17
The 3m spray work great i was able to do all my little tedious sanding in prep for primer thank GOD that is over for now :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:05 pm The 3m spray work great i was able to do all my little tedious sanding in prep for primer thank GOD that is over for now :lol:
I know exactly how you feel!

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:26 pm
by Salty F17
Primer is done glad to not see muti tone fairing hull no more 😎 on to graphite

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:27 am
by Rmarsh
Great job with the primer coat Salty! After all that fairing and sanding, finally seeing your hull primed and smooth, has got to feel good!
I look forward to seeing your bold color choice of citrus green with the black graphite bottom. Going to look "wicked pissa" (Boston slang for really nice)

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:14 am
by thb
Salty,

She looks real nice. Good job fairing her.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:42 am
by OrangeQuest
I missed the posting of you getting the primer on. She does look very nice!

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:32 am
by Bogieman
:D

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 am
by Salty F17
Thanks guys ! We worked very hard to get to this point and yes it is very satisfying you almost get the false sense of the boat being done for a lil bit then you remember you still have the inside :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:49 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:27 am Great job with the primer coat Salty! After all that fairing and sanding, finally seeing your hull primed and smooth, has got to feel good!
I look forward to seeing your bold color choice of citrus green with the black graphite bottom. Going to look "wicked pissa" (Boston slang for really nice)
Hey wanted ti know if u had the measurements for your console how tall ,wide,long is it ? Trying to debate what size i want to go with

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 am
by Rmarsh
[/quote]Hey wanted ti know if u had the measurements for your console how tall ,wide,long is it ? Trying to debate what size i want to go with
[/quote]

Salty.....I'll check on those dimensions when I get back in my shop today.

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:04 am
by piperdown
Congrats Salty! Primer is a huge milestone in my opinion!! :D

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am
by Knoxville_Jay
The primer looks great!!

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:39 am
by Rmarsh
Salty...
My console dimensions....picture is before i finished closing in the chase tube area with an access door.
Total height 45"...... 40" from floor to top of steering wheel... 36" " high to throttle lever in neutral. Seat height on front of console is 16" high.
Total width 26" .....at controls side of the console(back)... then tapers to 18" wide at the front of the bow facing seat.
I tapered the console front to back to match the narrowing of hull towards the bow. This leaves ample space on each side of the console to get by.
Total depth ...front to back is 32" deep ..... 16" for console 16" for seat.
I drive standing up most of the time... I'm 6' tall. I sit on a combo cooler/seat which I raised off the floor with a 6" high extension. In the sitting position I still can see directly in front of the boat with no problem.

Bob
006.jpg

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 am
by Salty F17
Bob006.jpg
[/quote]

Thank for replying i saw that u post you were 6ft in another post im 6'1 so i fig your console would be a got starting point thanks again

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am
by Browndog
Building a mock up console out of cardboard was one of the best things I did to ensure that the console position, dimensions, leaning post dimensions and front cooler locations worked well in the boat and fit my brother who is 6’3”, 5 inches taller than me. All the controls were laid out to fit him perfectly. Steering wheel, throttle, gauges, cup holders, they all work just right for him.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm
by Salty F17
I was able to squeeze out one coat of graphite with the last of the epoxy i had left , the boat definitely looks different now

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:44 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Nice looking work Salty!

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 am
by piperdown
Nice Salty! Almost ready for the flip!! :D

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 am
by Jeff
Really nice work Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am
by Salty F17
piperdown wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 am Nice Salty! Almost ready for the flip!! :D
Yes i am might have to do a mardi gras style flip party🤔 :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 am
by Jeff
Salty, I hope you and your family are prepared for the storm. Looks like it might even be a Cat 1 Hurricane. Stay safe and let us know how you do with the storm!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am
by Jaysen
Funny-ish anecdote... when we had mathew come through here I was still working on Lil Bit so I brought the unfinished hull into the house. We went to bed and through the night the storm got serious. When I woke up the next morning I discovered Lil Bit had magically been loaded with food, water and our "run away" bag. Don't underestimate the smarter half's ability to make use of a "not completed" hull.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 am
by Salty F17
Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am Funny-ish anecdote... when we had mathew come through here I was still working on Lil Bit so I brought the unfinished hull into the house. We went to bed and through the night the storm got serious. When I woke up the next morning I discovered Lil Bit had magically been loaded with food, water and our "run away" bag. Don't underestimate the smarter half's ability to make use of a "not completed" hull.
We made jokes hope we dont have to flip prematurely

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 am
by Jaysen
Salty F17 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 am
Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am Funny-ish anecdote... when we had mathew come through here I was still working on Lil Bit so I brought the unfinished hull into the house. We went to bed and through the night the storm got serious. When I woke up the next morning I discovered Lil Bit had magically been loaded with food, water and our "run away" bag. Don't underestimate the smarter half's ability to make use of a "not completed" hull.
We made jokes hope we dont have to flip prematurely
I also recommend bring the hull into the house just for good measure.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:11 am
by Salty F17
I also recommend bring the hull into the house just for good measure.
[/quote]

🤔If only i had installed a garage's size door on the house

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am
by Jaysen
Own a sawzall? :D

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:01 pm
by Jeff
Salty, just stay safe!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am
by Salty F17
So far we are alright in new orleans with this storm in the gulf not a lot of rain hope it stay that way

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:41 pm
by Salty F17
So i have put on 3 coats of graphite i have a lil bit orange peel not sure if i will sand it down and coat one more time but it does look good tho so not sure if i want to live with it or not yet ,so what i did to apply the graphite was 8oz resin 4 oz of hardner 4 oz of graphite at a time i added the 4 oz of gp to the 8 oz of resin mix till smooth then i added the 4oz of hardner came out real smooth then poured and rolled with foam roller then tipped with foam brush . wet on wet bout 45 min in between coats ,I just have to sand down the transom i faired it but no pics ,and put some primer on the transom and get the base white coat on the boat tomorrow

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:45 pm
by Jeff
Salty, very well done!!! She looks great!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:02 pm
by Salty F17
With one of my helpers we did one last coat of graphite (coat #4) and did the 1st base coat of white to go under the citrus green just need to dry sand and one more coat of white tomorrow

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:27 pm
by Knoxville_Jay
Wow, its looking really good!!

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:43 pm
by Jeff
Salty, looks like you have some great help there!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:48 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:43 pm Salty, looks like you have some great help there!!! Jeff
All ways he just dont understand he cant do everything but he tells me this is his boat :lol: !!!Hey any word from EMC?

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 pm
by Jeff
Salty, I will get you an update tomorrow morning. I called to talk with Robin (EMC) after we spoke on Monday but she is out until tomorrow morning!! She controls all of the special tinting as well as shipping!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 pm
by David516
That boat is coming absolutely beautiful my friend. I can’t believe that console and the side deck. Amazing!

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:57 pm
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 pm That boat is coming absolutely beautiful my friend. I can’t believe that console and the side deck. Amazing!
Ahh thanks but i haven't flipped yet the console belongs to Rmarsh our boats look similar at the moment being white and black also but i still have another color to add should have some pics of the 1st coat of the new color tomorrow

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:43 pm
by David516
OK I see. Still the other pictures look great.
Actually this brings me to a question I had forgotten that I’m going to have to re-fair the transom because I was so tied up and making it straight. I was wondering if I should put another sheet of biax butted up against the tape To make the transom even straight across rather than fairing from the tape and tapering the fairing compound. That way I would pretty much just smooth out the surface and fill any seams.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 pm
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:43 pm OK I see. Still the other pictures look great.
Actually this brings me to a question I had forgotten that I’m going to have to re-fair the transom because I was so tied up and making it straight. I was wondering if I should put another sheet of biax butted up against the tape To make the transom even straight across rather than fairing from the tape and tapering the fairing compound. That way I would pretty much just smooth out the surface and fill any seams.
I would add the panel fill gap with woodflour ,tape the seam then fair the whole boat once im done with the outside fiberglassing wait till your done with all your laminateing then do fairing it will be less work and less fairing wasted no need to add extra cloth other then what the plan says to use there you be able shape the transome easy once to start the fairing of the boat what i did was add a lil bit more fairing mix to what area you want to sharpen use your ro sander and a long board to make it how u want it

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 pm
by David516
Got it! Thanks!!!!
And once again beautiful looking job. Actually I wish I had some of your skills!

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:35 pm
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 pm Got it! Thanks!!!!
And once again beautiful looking job. Actually I wish I had some of your skills!
This is my first build but i do read a lot of the other builds to get ideas anything i can help you with just ask ? Im with ya

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 pm
by Salty F17
Last coat of white covered the rub rails also drilled the ubolt holes for the bow and the transom .Citrus green here we come :D i get some pics tomorrow

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:20 am
by David516
Really nice, and thanks!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 am
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:20 am Really nice, and thanks!
Are u building to plans or doing a cc also

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:40 am
by David516
Actually yes I am building to plans as best as I can anyway! I seem to be pretty accurate so far on following them. I know I have a long way to go before I get the boat flipped onto a trailer however I was playing with the idea of trying to put the helm in the cabin but I’m tending to think it might be a little cramped and I would probably just opt for an extra window at the helm bulkhead so I can sit on long trips, Since my knees are shot.
The layout I chose as the cabinets Port and starboard So I could fit a larger tank under the port cabinet and use the rear of the starboard cabinet / bench for bait, etc.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 am
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:40 am Actually yes I am building to plans as best as I can anyway! I seem to be pretty accurate so far on following them. I know I have a long way to go before I get the boat flipped onto a trailer however I was playing with the idea of trying to put the helm in the cabin but I’m tending to think it might be a little cramped and I would probably just opt for an extra window at the helm bulkhead so I can sit on long trips, Since my knees are shot.
The layout I chose as the cabinets Port and starboard So I could fit a larger tank under the port cabinet and use the rear of the starboard cabinet / bench for bait, etc.
Yeah that might be a tight fit or you could build the cabin a lil bit taller a n longer but it will add some weight

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty F17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 pm Last coat of white covered the rub rails also drilled the ubolt holes for the bow and the transom .Citrus green here we come :D i get some pics tomorrow
I can't wait to see it!!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:04 pm
by Salty F17
So the first coat of green is on i let my boys put the 1st paint on her i must say it is brighter to the naked eye then what the pics show but im loving it so far also did some jewelry fitting today with my u bolts for bow and transom

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:34 pm
by BB Sig
Wow that's bright! It really pops. :D

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:48 pm
by narfi
Ill bet your boys are excited to take it out with you. My boy is really pushing me to get ours done :)
Thats a cool idea using the splash rail as your accent stripe, no need measure off and keep tape lines straight, its already defined for you.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:07 pm
by Salty F17
BB Sig wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:34 pm Wow that's bright! It really pops. :D
Yea it is, anything i bring close to the boat glows green

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:09 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:48 pm Ill bet your boys are excited to take it out with you. My boy is really pushing me to get ours done :)
Thats a cool idea using the splash rail as your accent stripe, no need measure off and keep tape lines straight, its already defined for you.
The whole family is ready and some color on the boat dont not make it any better .I'm so ready to get some lines wet 😎

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:20 am
by OrangeQuest
Nice looking color!

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:18 am
by Jeff
Salty, I like the Citrus Green!! Really unique color!!! I think it was worth the wait!! Nice work by the kids as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 am
by piperdown
Looks great Salty! Big thumbs up!! :D

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:57 am
by David516
Salty, that color is amazing! Very nice!
I like the design on the transom also!
Excellent !

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 am
by Browndog
Everyone in your area will now who’s boat that is. No sneaking off to your secret fishing hole now.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:33 am
by Salty F17
Browndog wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 am Everyone in your area will now who’s boat that is. No sneaking off to your secret fishing hole now.
Lol they sure will but that's why u leave dark 30 in the morning before the the sun get a chance to point me out lol lol :lol:

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:35 am
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:57 am Salty, that color is amazing! Very nice!
I like the design on the transom also!
Excellent !
Thanks i tried to do something i havent seen on the site think it was a good choice

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:26 am
by cape man
Love it!

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:26 pm
by BB Sig
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:33 am
Browndog wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 am Everyone in your area will now who’s boat that is. No sneaking off to your secret fishing hole now.
Lol they sure will but that's why u leave dark 30 in the morning before the the sun get a chance to point me out lol lol :lol:
The problem is the boat glows in the dark! :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 pm
by Salty F17
BB Sig wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:26 pm
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:33 am
The problem is the boat glows in the dark! :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 pm
by Salty F17
So we did the 2nd coat of green today now we are thinking that we might paint the white stripe blue like the tape or black not sure yet but it looks bad ass so far really starting to shine now :D

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:37 pm
by narfi
I agree, I think the blue stripe would look good on there.

Your little man sure looks proud :)

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:37 pm I agree, I think the blue stripe would look good on there.

Your little man sure looks proud :)
At this point in the build so many change go thru your mind when you step back and just look at it for a few hours

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:51 pm
by narfi
Salty F17 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 pm At this point in the build so many change go thru your mind when you step back and just look at it for a few hours
I could have probably built and launched 3 boats with the amount of time I have stood staring and pondering at my build.
I wonder if I would be any quicker and more decisive on a second full size build?......

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:55 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:51 pm
Salty F17 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 pm At this point in the build so many change go thru your mind when you step back and just look at it for a few hours
I could have probably built and launched 3 boats with the amount of time I have stood staring and pondering at my build.
I wonder if I would be any quicker and more decisive on a second full size build?......
Me too but you know whats sad is im already in the planning stage of the next build

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm
by narfi
hehe, me too. but have to remodel the house first.
http://www.zenithair.net/introduction-c ... uper-duty/

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm hehe, me too. but have to remodel the house first.
http://www.zenithair.net/introduction-c ... uper-duty/
Airplane whoa out of my league ill stick to fpv racing drones lol :lol: 100+ mph of fun

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:10 pm
by narfi
If I bought the kit, I could build that plane much quicker than I am building my FS17. My carrier for the last 20 years has been working on small planes so I have a lot more confidence, but even for first time builders with no experience, these kits are super simple cnc matched holes. Of course detailing and personalizations always take a lot more time.

Those drones look fun. I have only played around with cheap kids drones. You wear goggles or you watch them from the ground?

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 am
by Knoxville_Jay
Salty F17 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 pm So we did the 2nd coat of green today now we are thinking that we might paint the white stripe blue like the tape or black not sure yet but it looks bad ass so far really starting to shine now :D
Wow, looks really good!

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm
by Salty F17
Thanks we got the 3rd coat today looks really good now she is ready for the flip ima let the paint cure for a week or so then the inside here we come

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 pm
by OrangeQuest
Your boat is going to be a head turner.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 pm
by Bogieman
8)

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:45 am
by Salty F17
While we wait for paint to fully cure ill post some pics of the pup 1years old now he sure has gotten big since i last posted him At 5 months page 2 of my page he is also open for stud now guys

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:28 pm
by David516
He’s beautiful !

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am
by Jeff
Nice looking pup!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:27 am
by jacquesmm
Very nice dog.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:01 pm
by narfi
What an amazing lonely hearts ad.......
Salty F17 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:45 am he is also open for stud now guys

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:46 am
by mohrscott
Salty; I have been away for a bit trying to catch our local dungeness crab. We got our fill and now back looking at your boat. Looks great, although I am not sure i would have the courage to paint it lime green! What a great experience for your boys to be able to help. They will have the memories and the boat for a long time.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:37 am
by fallguy1000
That there is some bold color.

I think I like a black stripe on the bright green.

Looks like you flipped it, what's next?

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:40 am
by Salty F17
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:37 am That there is some bold color.

Bolder the better ,Its not flipped yet just the pic we will flip the weekend after next i did start on the center console i will post some pic of that soon we also did not paint the stripe yet cant decided what color yet so we're just gonna do it after the flip

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am
by Salty F17
mohrscott wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:46 am Salty; I have been away for a bit trying to catch our local dungeness crab. We got our fill and now back looking at your boat. Looks great, although I am not sure i would have the courage to paint it lime green! What a great experience for your boys to be able to help. They will have the memories and the boat for a long time.
I wanted it to match the color of the plastics we use to fish with out here and it's right on the money

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:44 am
by fallguy1000
Salty F17 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:40 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:37 am That there is some bold color.

Bolder the better ,Its not flipped yet just the pic we will flip the weekend after next i did start on the center console i will post some pic of that soon we also did not paint the stripe yet cant decided what color yet so we're just gonna do it after the flip
Just remember to paint it lighter on the inside or it'll be hotter than blazes. I really love the kids getting into it. My little boy is 9 and wants to paint the boat, but he isn't going to like it much cuz it is going to be a big job.

You could also put a dark green stripe; that might look good as well, imo.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 pm
by Salty F17
Did a quick mock up of the center console

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm
by fallguy1000
What is the front part gonna be?

Bench or baitwell?

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:42 pm
by Jeff
I like it Salty!! Nice console!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:37 pm
by Salty F17
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm What is the front part gonna be?

Bench or baitwell?
A bench i dont think ill have enough space to make it a baitwell as the gas tank will be under the console but i may be able to do both just need to take some measurements

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:31 am
by Bogieman
Nice!

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:25 pm
by David516
Very nice design.
Are you putting hinges on the front bench top ?

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:43 pm
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:25 pm Very nice design.
Are you putting hinges on the front bench top ?
No really sure what ima do, i do have the room to do a baitwell and hold my gas tank so who knows at this stage still tryna figure out were i want to place everything

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:28 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looks like it could be big enough for a insulated bait well that could also be used as a live well or if needed a beer locker!

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 am
by Knoxville_Jay
The console looks fantastic!

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:03 am
by Salty F17
Pop Getting the trailer in order it needs a lil bit of work .Flipping this weekend 8) 8)

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am
by Jeff
Salty, get us some good photos of the flip!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:01 am
by piperdown
Looks like your dad is giving you the "hurry up and take the pic so I can get back to working on this" look :lol:

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 pm
by Salty F17

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:56 pm
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am Salty, get us some good photos of the flip!!! Jeff
Will do .

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm
by David516
If you have a small compressor they make these handheld sandblaster’s I got one at Harbor freight that would probably save you and awful lot of work and preparation of the trailer.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 pm
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm If you have a small compressor they make these handheld sandblaster’s I got one at Harbor freight that would probably save you and awful lot of work and preparation of the trailer.
The trailer really is not that bad gonna cut out the old fenders and some new one's and sand it down so fresh paint wont even tell it looks like this i just put my ro on it a lot of the crap came right off

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:31 pm
by OrangeQuest
Had to replace the fenders on two of our kayak trailers and was able to get perfect match fenders from these guy at a good price.
https://www.etrailer.com/?msclkid=cfe39 ... railer.com

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm
by Fuzz
Man it is sure nice you are getting help from the whole family. Not all of us are that lucky :cry:

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 pm
by narfi
Fuzz wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm Man it is sure nice you are getting help from the whole family. Not all of us are that lucky :cry:
Yes, a 3 generation build is pretty cool.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 pm
by David516
[/quote]

The trailer really is not that bad gonna cut out the old fenders and some new one's and sand it down so fresh paint wont even tell it looks like this i just put my ro on it a lot of the crap came right off
[/quote]

That’s a good approach! If you use a rust reformer spray as a primer most likely you won’t have to sand that hard either! It should look great.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:15 pm
by Salty F17
Trailer is now restored baby ! :)

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 pm
by OrangeQuest
Wow! That thing doesn't look like the same trailer! Looks like a new one.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:48 pm
by narfi
Very nice!

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 pm
by David516
You made that look beautiful in no time. You’re amazing.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 am
by Salty F17
So yesterday was a good day😎 in my Ice Cube voice here are some videos of the process 1st video https://youtu.be/-cFRyaMkZEA and the 2nd video https://youtu.be/rGpijVTs3w8

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:16 am
by Dougster
A very big day! Gonna be a beauty on the water, congratulations. Looking forward to layout work pics.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:30 am
by Rmarsh
Great progress Salty!!!

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:47 am
by fallguy1000
Gotta be luvin it now Salty.

How you gonna keep the rain out?

Is the carport big enough?

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:58 am
by Salty F17
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:47 am Gotta be luvin it now Salty.

How you gonna keep the rain out?

Is the carport big enough?
I added a drain plug plus it will fit under the carport and has a thick plactic cover to go over the boat

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:55 pm
by GuyP
Looks good right side up. Great flipping progression shots. A big job for 6 people. Congrats

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:56 pm
by GuyP
Looks good right side up. Great flipping progression shots. A big job for 6 people. Congrats

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 pm
by Salty F17
thanks guys hope you all have the same success

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:03 pm
by cape man
Oh hell yes! My wife likes the color.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:45 pm
by Fuzz
That is the best documented flip I have seen yet! Who ever did the filming did a great job. Having lots of strong help sure makes things easy :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 am
by Salty F17
Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:45 pm That is the best documented flip I have seen yet! Who ever did the filming did a great job. Having lots of strong help sure makes things easy :wink:
The wife was in charge of documenting the progress she did a great job catching everything

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 am
by Jeff
GREAT JOB Salty!!! You had a great bunch of guys to help and all of you made it look easy!!!! Nice Flip, congrats!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm
by OrangeQuest
With the shot of the guy drinking a beer I am guess that was the moment before you guys all said at once" hold my beer"! Then boat was flipped! :lol:

Boat really looking good!

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm With the shot of the guy drinking a beer I am guess that was the moment before you guys all said at once" hold my beer"! Then boat was flipped! :lol:

Boat really looking good!
Yes that Yuengling i was drinking was very tasty and recommended for flipping the boat at least in my build plans it was

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 pm
by mohrscott
Salty; we are both at the same point in the build. Yours looks great, I will be watching you now as I won’t work on mine much until fall.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm
by Bogieman
One hand on the beer and one hand on the boat :lol: Perfect form! That boat is BIG for 17 feet

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm
by Salty F17
Bogieman wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm One hand on the beer and one hand on the boat :lol: Perfect form! That boat is BIG for 17 feet
Lol had to strike a pose for yall

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm
by Salty F17
mohrscott wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 pm Salty; we are both at the same point in the build. Yours looks great, I will be watching you now as I won’t work on mine much until fall.
It happens to all of us we have to take a break for somthing during the build but just keep at it it will get done i will be keeping an eye on your's as well

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:58 pm
by Salty F17
Preping for fillets and tape hope to get to laying the Fiberglass this weekend

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm
by narfi
Kind of fun to be inside the big bathtub after working on the outside so long.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm Kind of fun to be inside the big bathtub after working on the outside so long.
Yes it is feels so much better now

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:31 am
by Jeff
Really nice progress Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:58 am
by David516
Really nice Salty!
I notice the strap going across. Is that to keep the sides even while you work?

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:40 am
by Salty F17
David516 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:58 amreally nice Salty!
I notice the strap going across. Is that to keep the sides even while you work?
Yes once the hull is turned over there is a lil bit of flex so i put the strap on for peace of mind it help big time but you dont really need it but it stop the flexing when climbing in a out

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:07 pm
by Salty F17
So we finally settled on a color for the sprayrails

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm
by Fuzz
Man they are going to see you coming :D The strap is a good idea. Lots of boats let the sides spread out at this point and that gives them the droopy bow look. Yours looks very nice at this point.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm
by Dougster
I like that spray well color setting of the hull and also think the strap is a good idea. It may be worth checking to see if it "necks" the sheer out of fair any. I'm sure you would have already noticed that though. It did on my LB22 but was a quick fix by putting a springy board around the sheer and using 3 straps.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:14 pm
by David516
Yes once the hull is turned over there is a lil bit of flex so i put the strap on for peace of mind it help big time but you dont really

That is a great idea! I’m going to do that way when I finally flip mine.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:57 pm
by joe2700
Fuzz wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm The strap is a good idea. Lots of boats let the sides spread out at this point and that gives them the droopy bow look. Yours looks very nice at this point.
I know some boats get a droopy bow somehow, but I would think the the sides spreading apart would actually pull the tip of the bow towards the transom making it higher, not droopier. Keeping the sides close to the original shape is still a good idea to fit the frames, I'd just be surprised if it helped the bow shape.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:24 pm
by narfi
I built a small scale model of the fs19. Pulling the sides out drooped the bow, squeezing them together raised the bow.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 am
by joe2700
narfi wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:24 pm I built a small scale model of the fs19. Pulling the sides out drooped the bow, squeezing them together raised the bow.
Interesting, the interaction there is different than how I can picture it then. Guess I should build a model since I'm past being able to push the sides in or out on my build.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:53 am
by fallguy1000
narfi wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:24 pm I built a small scale model of the fs19. Pulling the sides out drooped the bow, squeezing them together raised the bow.
This is really interesting. Not wanting to threadjack, but I wonder how many builders have had this happen.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 am
by Salty F17
joe2700 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 am
Interesting, the interaction there is different than how I can picture it then. Guess I should build a model since I'm past being able to push the sides in or out on my build.
[/quote

That's because the sheer holds the weight of the bow when the side are not allowed to butterfly but the weight of the tape and epoxy that is put on the seam is heavier then the sides so when they are not supported the weight and angle of the bow pulls down on the hull causeing the tip to drop giving the funny shape of a droopy bow

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 am
by Salty F17
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:53 am
This is really interesting. Not wanting to threadjack, but I wonder how many builders have had this happen.
I have seen a few boat with a droopy bow i think is all about how the hull is supported when it is flipped. I believe its all about supporting the weight support the bottom like it is centered on a trailer with bunks or your strongback with bunks and droopy bow won't happen

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:46 am
by pee wee
Salty F17 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:53 am
I have seen a few boat with a droopy bow i think is all about how the hull is supported when it is flipped. I believe its all about supporting the weight support the bottom like it is centered on a trailer with bunks or your strongback with bunks and droopy bow won't happen
I don't think there's enough weight involved to be making the bow droop, I believe it's caused by not keeping the bow pulled back until it's locked in position with glue, fiberglass, foredeck . . I'm not sure at what point the shape will be locked in. I think the ply in the area of the bow doesn't naturally take the flare that the design calls for, it wants to stay flat, so the sides pull in and the nose sticks out, looking like a droop from the side. It does make as much of a curve as it's forced to, but if the bow is pulled back the sides flare out and the tip of the bow comes up, forming more closely the shape that's drawn on the plans. I know we're told to let the ply take a natural shape, but this is one area that I believe needs to be coerced and tortured to conform. I saw one build where they used cable to pull the bow toward the transom, perhaps spreaders could be used, but however it's accomplished I think the bow should come back and the hull panels near the bow need to flare out more.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:08 am
by narfi
Now I am starting to doubt myself..... my memory just isnt that good. I know I needed to hold the sides together, but maybe that's because when pushing up/back on the bow they wanted to spread out.

Either way... I think it's good to support the sides for getting in and out before the gunwale and bulkheads are in place.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:21 pm
by Browndog
On the FS 19 a bow frame is attached to Frame A to provide support to the hull & bow so that it won’t droop when stitching together the hull. Once the hull was flipped and all the frames were removed, the bow was already shaped. The sheer line can be trimmed after flipping to whatever style is desired and that can accentuate a droopy bow or deemphasize a droop in the bow. On the FS 19 that I built the bow is not droopy at all. In fact the bow is so high that fitting the fore deck and installing the lifting cleat took some modification to make everything fit right and mate the threaded rod with the bow eye underneath.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:23 pm
by Salty F17
So we layered the tape for the inside just need to cover the hull with the last layer of fiberglass but in the mean time also did some dry fitting of the frames below the floor and also the rod holders and console now we can get a feel of how everything is going to layout

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 pm
by Bogieman
8)

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:53 pm
by Fuzz
Dang that is a big 17 foot boat :!:

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:48 pm
by fallguy1000
I seem to recall a builder that made those rod holder frames and they broke, but I can't recall the boat.

If they are structural; best to glass em.

Not sure, maybe one of the more experienced guys can remember the boat or tell me I'm full of it.

I like the vertical rod holders when I'm fishing and the horizontals when not. I made the verticals with pvc vac lines.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am
by Salty F17
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:48 pm I seem to recall a builder that made those rod holder frames and they broke, but I can't recall the boat.

Not sure, maybe one of the more experienced guys can remember the boat or tell me I'm full of it.

I like the vertical rod holders when I'm fishing and the horizontals when not. I made the verticals with pvc vac lines.
They will be glassed just test fitting thing before the final glass work and they are made to the specs on the plan they should be fine they are pretty solid no as the template

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 am
by Jeff
Nice progress Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 pm
by David516
I’ve been off for a few days but I see you’re making amazing progress! You really do excellent and fast work !
I wish you were my next-door neighbor !!!!
Looks beautiful. Love the rod holders. Was thinking of something like that . Of course mine will have to be a shorter version because I have the two benches one On each side and the forward cabin. Where we go off Sandy Hook, NJ ( shortest way to ocean from PA) I like to have the cabin to get out of the weather. I was actually thinking of attempting to make the helm station inside the cabin however then I would not be able to stand up at the helm if I wanted to So I guess I’m going to build it exactly as designed on the inside.

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:42 pm
by OneWayTraffic
Salty F17 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:48 pm I seem to recall a builder that made those rod holder frames and they broke, but I can't recall the boat.

They will be glassed just test fitting thing before the final glass work and they are made to the specs on the plan they should be fine they are pretty solid no as the template
Fallguy is right. The boat was PangaRons PG25.

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63093

The side frames are primarily there to stiffen the sides. If you cut into them halfway they lose 7/8 of their stiffness at those points. If you fall off a wave wrong there is the chance that cut could focus the bending force on the sides and they will hinge around that point. The C17 is a smaller boat than the PG25 and there is the overlapping side panels giving stiffness.

I would at least run it by the designer but if it were mine I'd look at alternative designs, like doubling or tripling the thickness around the cuts, and making the cuts no deeper than required to hold the rods. If possible I'd drill holes instead. More work to put the rod in but more secure.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 pm
by Salty F17
OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:42 pm
Salty F17 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am

Fallguy is right. The boat was PangaRons PG25.

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63093

The side frames are primarily there to stiffen the sides. If you cut into them halfway they lose 7/8 of their stiffness at those points. If you fall off a wave wrong there is the chance that cut could focus the bending force on the sides and they will hinge around that point. The C17 is a smaller boat than the PG25 and there is the overlapping side panels giving stiffness.

I would at least run it by the designer but if it were mine I'd look at alternative designs, like doubling or tripling the thickness around the cuts, and making the cuts no deeper than required to hold the rods. If possible I'd drill holes instead. More work to put the rod in but more secure.
We are planning to thicken up the rod holders and also glass them over i've been work on the console fitting the gas tank hoses and cutting cleats for the floor

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:21 am
by Eric1
Your boat is looking good! 8)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am
by Jeff
Good progress Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:25 am
by Salty F17
Getting some dry fitting done starting to really see the end of the tunnel :D

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:51 am
by Rmarsh
You have made good progress on this part of the build....a lot of planning and pondering coming together now!

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:37 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:51 am You have made good progress on this part of the build....a lot of planning and pondering coming together now!
Just the man I wanted to talk to what size tubes did you use want to make sure I have the right size

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 am
by Rmarsh
Hey Salty here's what I did.....From left to right in this picture....1 1/2" chase tube for the fuel line exclusively, a 2 1/2" for steering, and shift and throttle cables in the same tube to the starboard side stern locker. On the port side another 2 1/2" for the wiring harness to the outboard and power from the battery in the port side stern locker back to the console.
I ran another small chase tube 1" from the console forward to the anchor locker for the bow light.
Bob
450.jpg

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:44 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 am Hey Salty here's what I did.....From left to right in this picture....1 1/2" chase tube for the fuel line exclusively, a 2 1/2" for steering, and shift and throttle cables in the same tube to the starboard side stern locker. On the port side another 2 1/2" for the wiring harness to the outboard and power from the battery in the port side stern locker back to the console.
I ran another small chase tube 1" from the console forward to the anchor locker for the bow light.
Bob
450.jpg
[I'm using 2inches u think that's to small ?and what size sweeps are those 45 or 90

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 am
by Jeff
Nice progress Salty, good to hear from you!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 am
by Rmarsh
Salty F17 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:44 am [quote=Rmarsh post_id=459482

[I'm using 2inches u think that's to small ?and what size sweeps are those 45 or 90
90 to come up through the sole up into the console...45 to go through the stringer to another 45 then back to the stern locker....use the ones electricians use with long sweeps, they make it easier to snake things. For the fuel..which needs to be in its own chase
you can go smaller than 2".
For the steering cable and electrical harness....you should check to make sure they fit through..especially at the bends

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:43 am
by mohrscott
Salty; did you glue the motorwell side pieces to the stringers before taping them in? The sides seem to fit snugly against the stringer.........

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 am
by Salty F17
mohrscott wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:43 am Salty; did you glue the motorwell side pieces to the stringers before taping them in? The sides seem to fit snugly against the stringer.........
No I did the tape for the stringer first the board for motorwell is just resting on the clamping broad not glued or taped yet I did change my chase tube to what rmarsh used 2 1/2 ,1 1/2, and1 inch electrical case tubes 90 degrees for turn ups and 45 for turns

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 am
by Jeff
Nice Salty, very clean work!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am
by Salty F17
Finally was able to mud the frames and set the chase tubes

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am
by Rmarsh
Looking good Salty!

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 am
by rbecker08
I like the fishing rods ready to go :)

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:59 pm
by Fuzz
Hows the boat building coming along? By the way happy birthday :D

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm
by Salty F17
Fuzz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:59 pm Hows the boat building coming along? By the way happy birthday :D
thanks fuzz we are getting close to being done to what i now would call a boat and not a hull lol

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 am
by Jeff
Nice progress Salty!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 am
by Salty F17
Here are some long over due pics of the progress guy's finally foamed (4gals) and set the floor and front deck just need to tape down and finish console and gun wales :D it is definitely all down hill now

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 am
by Jeff
Salty, great to hear from you and nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am
by OrangeQuest
Yes, nice to see you are working on the boat! You guys have been hit really hard in La. Hope all is well!

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 am
by fallguy1000
Glad to see you back. I thought maybe we made you mad. Looking good. Maybe you'll be fishin soon.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am Yes, nice to see you are working on the boat! You guys have been hit really hard in La. Hope all is well!
Yea we just stay away from others and with all this free time may as well get some work done

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 am
by Salty F17
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 am Glad to see you back. I thought maybe we made you mad. Looking good. Maybe you'll be fishin soon.
Lol na ,hope to be finished with all the last of the glass work next week but with the shut down I still need to find my motor

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 am Salty, great to hear from you and nice progress!!! Jeff
Same as always Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pm
by cape man
I think we are going to see a lot of boat building going on during all this... 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 am
by Rmarsh
Thanks for the updates. I see you got your steering system roughed in.....and the very important beverage holders laid out 8)

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am
by Salty F17
Inching closer

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am
by Jeff
Nice Salty!! Great progress!! Always good to see your father working with you!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:20 am
by Salty F17
Finally finished covering the gunwales with glass installed the hinges for the hatches, now she is on her way to get the motor mounted 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:52 am
by Aripeka Angler
Nice work, looks great! That is a roomy boat. 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:26 am
by OrangeQuest
Boat is looking good!! Hope you guys are staying safe!

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 am
by Jeff
Great progress Salty!!! Stay safe & healthy!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:00 am
by Rmarsh
Wow! You must be getting excited, especially with your boat getting its outboard motor hung. Everything looks great!
I've followed along since you started Salty...you guys should be proud of yourselves for all the hard work you have done.
I've probably said this before but........You are going to love how well this boat performs!
Bob

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:28 am
by Salty F17
Jeff wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 am Great progress Salty!!! Stay safe & healthy!!! Jeff
Will do, Same to you guys o and ps.it about time for that boat builder title now! wink wink 😉 lol :doh:

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:29 am
by Salty F17
Rmarsh wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:00 am Wow! You must be getting excited, especially with your boat getting its outboard motor hung. Everything looks great!
I've followed along since you started Salty...you guys should be proud of yourselves for all the hard work you have done.
I've probably said this before but........You are going to love how well this boat performs!
Bob
can't wait also we wanted to say thanks for all the info you have provided for me your boat is the reason
We picked this build

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 pm
by Rmarsh
can't wait also we wanted to say thanks for all the info you have provided for me your boat is the reason
We picked this build
[/quote]

You are very welcome......It's been a pleasure watching you guys.
My reward will be seeing you guys enjoying the good times ahead.
Wish we lived closer!

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:02 pm
by Salty F17
So I have a few pics for you guys finally splashed

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 pm
by narfi
Awesome!
The kids like it or just you and pops?

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm
by Salty F17
narfi wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 pm Awesome!
The kids like it or just you and pops?
haven't taken them out yet but they are dying to take a ride

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looking good on the water!! I bet you feelin good too!!

Very nice!

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm
by GuyP
Looking good on the water. What material is on the sole. I like that plank look.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 pm
by Salty F17
GuyP wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm Looking good on the water. What material is on the sole. I like that plank look.
Just some non skid waterproof foam I found it on ebay

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 pm
by Salty F17
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 pm Looking good on the water!! I bet you feelin good too!!

Very nice!
yes I am cant wait till I take her out again i'm still waiting on my tags but I had to put her in the water lol

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:56 pm
by Fuzz
I had been wondering how you were doing. It is great to see the boat in the water. It sure looks good.
When you get to run it some you will have to give us all the details :D

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:14 am
by mohrscott
You beat me to the water! Great looking boat and what a great day, looking forward to launch day for mine! Go get some fish!

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:28 pm
by TomTom
Congrats on the Splash! Awesome to see another C series hit the water...

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:30 pm
by Jeff
Great stuff Salty, she looks great!!! The kids are going to love her!!! Jeff