GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by Fuzz »

I might very well be wrong but it is my understanding that when run from an enclosed cabin there is no need for the kill lanyards to be worn.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No kill switch required for non-planing hulls per the CG course at the marina.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Agreed, no kill switches for displacement speeds when the boat is operated from an indoor cabin. This would not hold true if he goes witl the 50-60HP motors that can reach planning speed.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

wkisting wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:09 am Oh, I think I just found it in the ABYC S-12 Transom and Engine Well specifications:
22" on center is listed as the MAX spacing for twin outboards up to 75hp.

transom specs spacing.JPG
transom specs spacing 2.JPG

And the overall width of the transom/engine well needs to be 55" for twin motors up to that same size/hp range. But with our engine bracket, it's moot because there is full/unobstructed clearance to either side of the bracket. So, unless I'm mistaken, I think that means we may be able to squeeze on two 25s at around 19-22" on center spacing and it may *just* fit. Of course, I'm still not certain that's the route I want to go, just keeping my options open.
Wes glad you found that. My measurements were for 75HP and up and could not see how they could apply to smaller motors. Go for it if that is the way you want.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

How is this build coming along? We should be close to splash by now?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. I wish the boat were ready to splash, but it seems the work is multiplying and the weather continues to challenge us. We left off work last June when it got too hot in Georgia to do much outside, then resumed in November. Then I had to take December off for hernia repair surgery and recovery time. Now it's been too cold (unusually so) for epoxy work, so we're waiting for the weather to warm. The outside of the boat is finished, but we're insulating and sealing interior surfaces in the cabin, which also means we have to keep stopping to consider wiring, plumbing, systems, etc. The windows can't go in until wiring is addressed because the windows clamp over the exterior and interior walls, so once they're sealed in place it will be exponentially harder to run wires, etc. As with most things on this build, it seems we have to constantly imagine the end point and consider everything about the final layout before we can comfortably move forward on basic, early steps of the interior build out. But as we get into February, I think the warmer days will return so I can finish sealing hatches and foaming in insulation. I need a comfortably long interval of 70 degree weather for that, but we've been floating from the 20s to high 50s for several weeks, with only brief temps reaching the 60s or 70s--often mid-day during the week when I'm at work. Rain has also been relentless. I will never, ever, ever again build a boat that I can't fit inside of a climate controlled space. I am certain at this point our progress has been delayed by at least a year and a half, maybe two, by the weather.

But yes, we're still going. :)
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I feel your pain. Here in Mn, I had lotsa lost time in the tent.

For now, you could run a 12amp 110v radiator heater on low to take the chill off.

If you have any electrical challenges; ask away.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I understand weather delays and sorry to hear about the medical issues, hope you recovered nicely.

I also understand about the tedious planning of routing things. My little build is a lot smaller but seems never have all the fittings, electrical connectors, wires of all the correct gauge and length. Then routing can be a nightmare and headache sometimes. Hoping you guys have a short and mild winter and spring brings fair weather, and the build can speed up again.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Just started re-reading this thread the other day and enjoying the build all over again. On page 41 now.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Wes? Did u launch?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495