GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting »

Well, I usually set up a build blog, but I haven't had time so I guess I'll just start a thread here. Put in 12 hours on the boat today to set up the stations for the jig and lay out the bottom and side panels. Weather was beautiful! Best of all, we managed to get 'er 3D, minus the bow and stern transoms.
_DSF4278.JPG
_DSF4276.JPG
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by piperdown »

Well damn! This was a pleasant surprise! Moving right along and you've got 2/3 already going on, that's some serous progress! :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good luck Wes. Slow at the start friend.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Allright! I'm looking forward to this build. The GT27 is on my list of possible future builds.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Got the bow transom in today, plus trimmed all the lines down flush. Hoping to install the stern transom this week and then she's ready to have her seams taped...
_DSF4285.JPG
_DSF4286.JPG
There are a few gaps I could eliminate by planing the bottom panels a tad more, but at the moment they're perfectly symmetrical and the curves are all fair, so I don't think I want to mess with it.

I found that driving screws through the side panels into the stations works better than wire stitches/ties. If you leave the screw heads standing proud by 1/2" or so, the panels can float up and down the shaft and find a perfectly fair curve. With wire ties, I had to tighten them so much just to support the weight of the panels that they were clearly causing a kink at each stitch, which spelled trouble. With the screws, everything can just flow as it likes, which is how it should be.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Nice work Wes! Looks great.

When my wife met yours yesterday, she learned that you are both into building boats, and tackling this as a team project. Her response to me.... “don’t get any bright ideas” :lol:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

I discovered I had the bow transom set at too aggressive of a forward angle, due to a cutting mistake that exaggerated the flair at the leading edge of the side panels. That meant I also had a 4" gap at the rear where the side panels were too short. So, it set me back a little, but I spliced in the missing side panel length and also corrected the angle at the bow to get everything back to proper spec's.

Subsequently, I installed the transom... wow, she's big and heavy! Everything fit nicely, so after a little more tweaking of the lines to get everything fair, I went ahead and spent today evening everything up and then filling gaps with thickened epoxy to bond the chines and the transoms into place. She's really looking good now!
20181021_180455.jpg
20181021_180430.jpg
Nice running into you at the carnival, Will! Maybe when we get to flipping this hull, you and your wife can come help. We can make a boat builder out of her yet... :)
Wes

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That thing looks huge!! Hope you don't need to flip it more than once!

Glad you got the measurement sorted out, looking good.
Hank

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Nice work Wes! It's always hard to tell from pictures, but make sure to put a straight edge on the planing surface (last 1/3 of the length of the boat). It almost looks like you may have a small dip in the picture from stern transom forward. If so, better to fix it now than to add a pile of fairing material later! Ask me how I know that :oops:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Okay, many hours of sanding and planing later and all seams have been rounded and taped...
_DSF4316.JPG
_DSF4318.JPG
_DSF4320.JPG
Having seen how much work is involved to wet out three layers of 12 oz. biaxial tape per seam, I'm sort of dreading wetting out three layers of 12 oz. biaxial cloth to coat the hull. It's going to take a lot of epoxy...
Wes