GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by jbo_c »

I’ve been waiting for more videos and a fresh report.

Jbo

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Sorry for not realizing you all had posed a few questions. No, we haven't launched and are still a long way from that. The GT27 is all sealed up and mostly finished on the exterior, as I had to ready it for a 1700 mile journey across the country. We moved from Georgia to Wisconsin so I could take a new job as Dean of Arts and Sciences at UW River Falls. That's had me so busy, the boat really hasn't been touched since I got her trailer ready back in June. The interior is still unfinished, except for the upper walls which we insulated and paneled over so we could install windows before the long journey. Right now, she's sitting about 3 hours away from us in storage and still needs to be brought over to somewhere closer to our house to resume work. I have video of the work we've done up to that point, but haven't even had time to compile it and update the build channel with that progress. Life keeps getting in the way, and the new job is very time intensive.

I hope you all are well and I wish you happy holidays!

Wes
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Congrats on your new job, happy holidays to you and yours. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Congratulations and Merry Christmas. Will keep watching for updates.

Jbo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I grew up in River Falls. Great schools for kids and a decent college, but not my alma mater.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Yes, we're loving it here in River Falls. Very welcoming community in a great, active little town that also offers easy access to good restaurants in nearby Hudson, all the cultural opportunities of the Twin Cities, and easy access to an international airport with many direct-flight destinations in the U.S. and abroad. I think it's the most livable place I've been, and the university is chock full of passionate faculty who really care about their students. Really lovely place.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Two of my favorite people on the planet live in RF and he is affiliated with UW and she was with the school system.

Let me know if you need any help or advice. RF is an hour away.

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Hey guys, sorry it took me forever to get to it, but I finally had time to assemble, edit, and narrate the last of my GT27 build footage. Part 9 is now viewable here: https://youtu.be/pd7s4Hrsaos
Wes

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looked like a lot of things were finished before the move, and the whole crew was helping to get her ready for it. I like that the windows came with screens and shades, very nice. Is the exterior done and just the interior left? Electrical, electronics, plumbing and so on too? Great job!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I watched quite a bit of the video. Minnesota has some incredible houseboating places. I've been on many of them.

Best fishing is in Canada, though, you'd be wise to go to Morrison to Lake of the Woods.

Otherwise, for houseboating, Birch Lake, Rainy Lake, Vermilion, or my absolute favorite is Kabetogama/Namakan. If you go there; the Ash River Landing is really pretty steep for your rig and you'll want to go to the Kabetogama landing or a private landing on the Ash River (not sure). But Namakan has really great beauty. It can get rough at some anchorages; so you'll want to make sure to avoid being dead on stern to the wind (from experience, I had to get my skiff moved in a hurry one evening or it'd been swamped. The scenery is incredible and you'll hear wolves most nites. I would not recommend bringing a firearm, though. Fishing is decent; you might want a 12' boat along with to get off the shore a bit, but if you find some deepwater near your anchorage; that'd be a good place to bobber for dinner.