Privateer roamer skiff project

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Privateer roamer skiff project

Post by fallguy1000 »

Straight mat will not perform well with epoxy. Use 1208 instead. It will disfigure and clump during wetout.

Before you figure the bom, make sure to get the right stuff.

Tab transom with three layers. Assuming two layers of 3/4" ply.

Save some money and just neatcoat the sole bottom well with epoxy. Is it 3/4" ply?

Stringers should also be encapsulated with 1208 of they are ply or doug fir, etc.

Did yoi get it supported? You'll find forum responds better with photos. It is give and take. You give photos and we give you time and advice. That helps us satisfy our boat addiction.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Fallguy
Yes, the stringers, transom and deck will all be 3/4 marine grade ply from our local supply yard. In my last build I used 12 oz mat to cover the deck with relatively good results. I didn’t find that it clumped or disfigured. Also, I put a neat coat on the underside like you mentioned on my last build so I may do it to this one as well. I found the 12oz mat to be fairly cheap that’s why I figured I’d put a layer on. The 1208 will give it a little more “beef” I guess right? My goal is to make this boat strong, I’m not overly worried about the intricate finishing touches. Also, I’ll be using marinepoxy as it’s affordale and I’ve had good results thus far.
I did add 3 more photos to show the current state of the project I hope you’re seeing them on your end. If not please let me know and I’ll try and upload them again. Thanks

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

12 oz mat is really not as strong as 1200 or 1208.

Of course 1208 is heavier, but pound for pound 1200 beats mat glass afaik.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

on my previous privateer build roamer skiff I used 17-19 gallons of ebond epoxy, 35 yds maybe of 50" 1708, two big tubs of wood flour.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Slickcav
How did you determine how much material to order? I was about to place the order but I decided to double check and figure the best way to measure the amount of epoxy/glass. With regards to the fiberglass, I can go by my measurements that I posted before to come up with a rough idea on how much to order. The problem I am having is figuring the amount of epoxy. I'm going to layup everything with 1708 so I know it's going to soak up a lot of resin. Thanks again to everyone for their responses, I really appreciate it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Figure epoxy as follows:

Pounds of glass divide 9.01 pounds per gallon times 128 ounces per gallon-gives you ounces if epoxy to wetout.

Figure fillets and infills at one ounce of epoxy for 17 inches. Large fillets use more like one ounce for 12 inches

Figure a waste factor of something like 5-15 percent..waste is tricky, but it happens, bucket residues, roller residues, overages, lost batch to kick times; the bigger the job, the higher the factor

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

greymare89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 pm Slickcav
How did you determine how much material to order? I was about to place the order but I decided to double check and figure the best way to measure the amount of epoxy/glass. With regards to the fiberglass, I can go by my measurements that I posted before to come up with a rough idea on how much to order. The problem I am having is figuring the amount of epoxy. I'm going to layup everything with 1708 so I know it's going to soak up a lot of resin. Thanks again to everyone for their responses, I really appreciate it.
buy 5 gal, reorder at 2 gal used, and youll have an idea after the first 5 what you need, but will have your next shipment before you run out of the first 5 and just go from there I would say?

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

It’s been a while since I posted here last but I was able to finish the boat in the spring of 2021 and was happy with the results. Unfortunately plans have changed and the boat no longer fits the needs of my family of 4 so I will be actively looking to sell it this spring. Here’s a few shots of how the boat turned out.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

I had the opportunity to buy a 24’ Privateer in the spring of ‘22 which needs some cosmetic work but for the most part is solid. I cruised it “as is” last summer but will be doing some work to it prior to this season to get it ready. One of the ares of concern is the roof. It has many old mounting holes which have been covered up over the years as well as a decent crack on the rear lip. I plan on filling all the old holes with thickened epoxy once any rotten core is removed before placing a layer of 17oz glass over the repaired areas. My main question is how to address the crack. I thought about ripping down a piece of 3/4 marine plywood to match the inside width of the roof “lip”which would be set in thickened epoxy before running a layer or two of 17 oz or 1708 mat over the new plywood which would wrap around from underneath the roof to the top edge of the roof itself.
Is it necessary to set plywood underneath to stiffen everything up or will glassing over the crack with several layers of glass be sufficient? Here are some pictures which show the crack and the area I sanded the gel coat away to prepare for the repair.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

The photos I have of the 24’ Privateer I posted before are pretty poor and I will work on getting some clearer shots to show what I’m trying to achieve. In the mean time, here are a couple of photos which show the overall rear roof “lip”crack before the area was prepped for prepare as well as the entire top of the roof with the many holes that need to be properly repaired.