Privateer roamer skiff project

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Hull support off trailer

Post by Fuzz »

I would say that boat is big enough and will need enough power to justify a built in tank. Just a guess but I think 40 gallons or more would be needed and that is too much for portable tanks.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Thanks for the replies. I've been prepping everything lately and I think I'm going to start with repairing the console since it's winter and I'll be able to glass in my basement. I was digging around today and I found some left over marinepoxy from 2013 when I rebuilt my 18' privateer. I know this stuff has a shelf life but since it's only small 6" holes in the console and nothing too structural, do you think I'll be able to get away with using it? It's 5+ years old now.... Also, I should add that it has been opened and there is about a quarter gallon of the epoxy left and about half the container of hardener..... Any input would help, thanks

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

greymare89, We have had many users of MarinEpoxy that they have used some that had been in storage for 10 years. Just test a small batch to to ensure!! Jeff

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Thanks Jeff. Does it make a difference if it's been opened vs storing it in a sealed container? I will definitely test a small batch to be sure. If it hardens and isn't tacky, then I should be good or are there certain indicators which will tell me it has gone bad? Thanks again!!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

By "open" do you mean without any cover? Or just that the jug has been opened and then the cap put back on tight. If the latter, like Jeff says, I've used really old epoxy that has no issues.
But like you say, a little test run will confirm it's ok.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have used epoxy that was so old the bottom half of the jug had solidified. I just put it in a hot water bath and let it heat soak. Took a couple of tries but 98% of it went back into solution and worked fine. This was system 3 epoxy. I am using some 20 year old west system epoxy now and it has been fine. I have never let marine epoxy to set around for very long so I do not know how it would do but I have every reason to think it would work also.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Privateer roamer skiff project

Post by greymare89 »

I started prepping the console. I tried to bevel the large holes the best I can so I can build up layers of glass and regain some strength integrity. Unfortunately the holes cut out by the previous owner are very close to the console edge so I can't create a gradual bevel. As it sits now, the beveled edge I ground down is approximately 45 degrees. My plan is to fill the existing holes with some 12 oz mat that I've had laying around since my last project. I'll plug the holes with cardboard wrapped in peel ply or plastic from the outside and glass in a sheet or two of the 12 oz mat from the inside. Once that dries, I will then build up the layers inside the beveled holes on the exterior of the console. If all goes well, I then want to find the center line down the middle of the console and measure out 3" inches on either side and remove a 6" strip from the console to make it narrower. This will make it easier to walk around since It's just a bit too wide for the boat as it sits right now. I'm trying to figure out if I should cut the 6" out first or glass the large holes and then cut out the 6" "strip". What do you guys think?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I think I would cut the console down first. If not you might spend time and material working a spot that gets cut out.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:54 pm I think I would cut the console down first. If not you might spend time and material working a spot that gets cut out.
Bulldozer method.

Biggest change first.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

:D I like that. Might have to steal it :wink: