Privateer roamer skiff project

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Privateer roamer skiff project

Post by greymare89 »

Ok that makes sense. I originally thought the cut out was best to do first since I will be able to access the hard to reach areas on the inside once the console is cut open.

Question on the epoxy. I used marinepoxy on my last build with good results, at least I think they were good. The price difference between marinepoxy and epoxies from system3, west system and sliver tip are pretty significant. Is any one epoxy superior to the other? Marinepoxy is almost half the price of the other three in gallon size.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Over the years I have used a bunch of different epoxies. For my needs Marine epoxy is as good or better than the others 90% of the time. If you are building with a foam core JM says to use either System 3 or West System. System 3 is great because it is not supposed to blush at any speed. Marine epoxy at medium or fast and West system both must be watched for blushing.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am either at 130 or 145 gallons of System 3 Silvertip. Probably 25% waste rate with wet bagging; so not all in boat.

So far the only issues have been human error.

It hasn't blushed once.

If I could go back, I would have learned panel infusion, bit that would be useless on your job.

I am planning to build my console as a hybrid between foam and ply. Foam sides for weight and a plywood face to easily change if I lose a device or want to change it. Maybe even a plywood front for a door. The only trouble is my star side is getting a bit heavier than the port (livewell and pumps, helm, captain). I digress. Anyhow, the idea of an easier to modify and screw into helm seems smart to me. I need to mount the autopilot pump; so even the bottom needs some plywood...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Greymare,
Hi there. Just wanted to give you a quick shout - Privateer fan also. I remember your other build well. I have looked at it and several other retriever builds for help. I look forward to watching what you do with the roamer.

I'm sure you've seen this one: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-bo ... build.html.

The build thread was never finished, but what was shown was good to see.

Keep up the good work.

-Bogue

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

It's been a while since I last posted but I finally got the chance to dig into the boat this past week. I'm going to take some measurements so I can hopefully get some insight on how much epoxy and 1708 I will need to complete everything. I'm doing the tansom first then moving onto the stringers. It's going to be a slow process so bear with me with the infrequent and spiradic updates :?

The old tank would be great if I could salvage it but I did discover some spots of deep pitting. It isn't the original tank and I was told from the previous owner it was about 10 years old. I should probably play it safe and install a poly tank if I wind up going with the below deck option. :|

Winter project 95% complete. I took out 6" from the center of the console and glassed it back together. Then I filled in all the holes and filled the large holes from the previous controls/ gauge dash with multiple layers of 1708 and finished it off with thickened epoxy and fairing material . I also replaced the shelf inside. It could use a final touch up but it's close to done.

I want to raise the tansom to accommodate a 25" shaft. I was going to mount a board with peel ply or plastic on the outside, layup a few layers of 1708 against it to fill in the transom well and create an outer skin. I plan on tapering the existing skin but grinding it back about 20 or so inches and laying up the 2 or 3 overlapped layers of 1707 to do this. Than I'll cover the whole inside skin with a large piece of 1708 before lathering in the thickened epoxy for the transom core which will be 2 pieces of 3/4 marine ply. Thoughts?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Your plan for the transom cut out should work just fine. You could use a cheap piece of hard board and coat it with pva also. Clamp or screw it to the outside and do your lay up.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Glad to see you are back at it! I think Bob Maes did a similar conversion from 20 to 25" on his transom. He reached out in my Privateer thread and we have spoken on the phone a few times. Super nice guy and he may have some photos of that renovation that may be useful.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Question about supporting the hull and taking out the stringers.

Before I started cutting into the boat I took it off the trailer and placed it on leveled out 6x6's - two under the chines and one under the keel. Everything felt solid until I removed the deck, wet transom, tank and foam between the stringers. Now, there is an approximate 1/2 gap between the chine at the transom and the 6x6 support. When I walk around the inside I can feel the back of the boat bounce and hit the 6x6. The boat is still sitting perfectly level but I'm worried there shouldn't be gaps anywhere between the hull and beam supports. There must be a "rake" in the hull so I think it's impossible for the hull to make contact with the beam every square inch along the chine.

Also, I noticed issues with the boat sitting solid on the chine beams once I attempted to support the keel. If I lose the keel beam I think the hull will sit flatter on the two chine beams. Is that a good idea or is the keel support very important? I never supported the keel n my last build but it was a smaller boat. I might be over thinking it but I don't want to royally screw anything up once I install the new transom and start removing the old stringers.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am pretty sure you want support at the chines to keep things straight. When you put support under the keel it raised up off the chine support and now there is some rocker if I am reading correctly? What happens if you remove the keel support? Or better have it touching but not taking much weight?

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

I made some more headway grinding and prepping. All the foam has been removed and the gel coat has been ground down on the gunwales to prep for the deck to be tabbed in when the time comes. I'll leave the stringers until the transom is finished. They're shot!!! I measured everything out to get an idea of how much material I will have to order. I plan to use a layer of 12 oz mat on the stringers for waterproofing then tab each one in with two layers of 6" 1708 tape. Obviously the transom will be 1708, I'm thinking at least 4 layers for strenghth. Again that will be tabbed in by two layers of 1708 also. Lastly, I'd like to coat the underside of the sole with one layer of 12 oz mat for water proofing then a layer or two of 1708 on the topside. I want to create a thick layer of glass on the topside since things will be banging around like scallop dredges, etc. It might be a waste of epoxy to put down 1708 on the topside so I'm open to alternatives that will create a thick, tough deck. Anyway the rough measurements are as follows:

Transom- 80" wide by 30" deep
Outside stringers- 7" tall by 10' long
Inside stringers- 8" tall 13' long
Center stringer- 12" tall by 15' long
Deck Beam at transom- 78" wide
Deck Beam midship- 76" wide
Overall length of deck- 17'

Given the layup schedule I just proposed, does anyone have an idea of how much fiberglass, epoxy and filler material I will need to order? id like to put one large order in to avoid paying shipping costs multiple times. Thanks in advance, the pictures of the boat as it currently sits are below to help get an idea of how everything looks.