Privateer roamer skiff project

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Privateer roamer skiff project

Post by fallguy1000 »

I would sister a vertical piece of plywood or clear harddwood timber the width of the door opening plus a couple inches to the roof deck there. The wood needs to be dry and stable to warpage. The deck has sagged, so do the work in steps. Radius the edges not touching the roof and the mating corner with 3/8" router bit and leave the support shy about 1/4" for room for glass. No sharp edges will remain except the bottom and sides touching the edges Pretreat the wood with clear epoxy on the edges bonding to the deck for about an hour. Use thickened epoxy putty with wood flour or cabosil to bond it. The thickness of the final seam is best at 1 millimeter, but you might use a bit more here to takeup any voids.

Scrape away any gelcoat from the contact area or remove any chalked old materials and dirt with 40 grit and clean it with acetone.

Apply the glue with 1/8" vee trowel to all mating sides. Clamp with light pressure with a board taped with shipping tape on the inside and use some wood shims or rubber pads on the exterior.

Then lift the wood up with a 2x4 and a jack until the seam closes. Once you lift the deck up and the seam closes, add a little more clamp pressure.

Let this cure for overnite or longer if the weather is less than 65F. A week for 50F. Then remove the jack and glass over the timber with at least a single layer of 1708, or two layers of 12oz biax. The glass covers the entire timber.

It looks like the mass of the stuff above was just too much for the thing roof, so consider adding a flat piece of 3/4 inch plywood under all that crap up top. That piece would go side to side and be done similarily. This will keep the roof from breaking somewhere else under pounding or dynamic loading.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What's the story on the fenders end to ended?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Thanks for the response. I had a strong feeling I would need to sister some wood underneath to beef it up so your description is spot on with my original plan. Good call on jacking it up to close the seam, I’ll definitely take your advice on that. As far as the fenders, this privateer was in service as a tow boat by the prior owner. I’ve since removed all the fenders and will be sealing up the bolt holes from mounting the fenders along with the hundred other holes throughout the entire boat….

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I would assume the glass broke either because an unusual strain was put on it, or (more likely) it was not designed with enough strength and it just took a while to become evident. I guess the builder was trying to reduce materials out of concern for weight or cost . . .
Hank