GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by cape man »

The other thing that might help if it's marginally high is switching to a 4 blade prop. Doing so on my OD18 allowed me to raise the Jack plate all the way while running at WOT. You can hear the slight cavitation but the pump is still picking up water and the prop is grabbing well. Could not do that with a 3 blade.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

cape man wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:59 am The other thing that might help if it's marginally high is switching to a 4 blade prop. Doing so on my OD18 allowed me to raise the Jack plate all the way while running at WOT. You can hear the slight cavitation but the pump is still picking up water and the prop is grabbing well. Could not do that with a 3 blade.
Thanks for the tip Cape man. I've had a quick look and all I can find available are 2 blade 9"x9" and 3 blade 9"x7". A 4 blade prop for a 1979 outboard doesn't look like something standard and would probably have to be custom made. Since I need to drop the prop by about 65mm cutting the transom seems much easier and cheaper. Cars are back in the garage and work is a bit crazy so I'm waiting for a good weekend weather window to cut the transom and get the cuts stained and varnished.

Waiting for trailer parts at the moment, need to get it transportable before I can splash so no big hurry on the cut.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Been a while since the last post, slowly and steadily. Trolley now has suspension and trailer couplings added to make it a proper trailer. Mudguards fabricated and fitted, cables are pulled for electrics. Only things left to do on trailer are fit and connect the lights. Hopefully I can get that done one evening this week.

After that all that remains on my list is:
  • Trailer inspection and registration
  • Make oars
  • Drain and replace gear oil in outboard.
  • Free up siezed shaft in the mechanism that locks the outboard down when in reverse.
Worst case scenario is that I need to strengthen up the drawbar on the trailer and replace wheel bearings. Hopefully splashed by Easter.

Was too dark when I finished last night to take photos. I'll take some photos and post them after I fit the lights.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is good to hear from you. I have been wondering how this project was coming along.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Got all the wiring done and lights fitted. It will be going in for inspection tomorrow afternoon.

Left to do:
1: Make oars
2: Finish work on motor

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice! Very interested in how it runs for you.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Go baby go!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Failed the inspection. Nothing major though, just need to replace wheel bearings. I was worried they would have issues with the structure but they didn't find anything wrong. Will try and get new bearings today, fit tonight and try again tomorrow.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Got the bearings sorted and re-inspected. I'm now road legal.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Good deal! Now you can move on to the next step.