GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by Fuzz »

I have had to dodge a few things while boating but dead cows is a new one :help:
Sounds like you made a good choice to call it a day and get off the water.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah that would be a little disconcerting. The possibility that always worried me was drifting down the river in my canoe, and rounding a corner to find a bear standing in the shallows. Happened once to some fellows we knew; they about dumped the canoe and I think all needed new underwear afterward.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:14 pm Yeah that would be a little disconcerting. The possibility that always worried me was drifting down the river in my canoe, and rounding a corner to find a bear standing in the shallows. Happened once to some fellows we knew; they about dumped the canoe and I think all needed new underwear afterward.
I'm glad we don't have to worry about anything like that here.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Photos of the finished hull as promised.

While I was welding I made up a couple of handles that will be bolted onto the outside of the clamping board.

Instead of having knees in the corner between the side panels and transom I have dropped them a few inches and built them into the seat tops.

I'll stop teasing now. Here is the complete hull. I have added handles and a bow roller at the front as well as the handles on the clamping board. Looking at the sides there is a bit of a wave that I hope to take out when I install the rub rails but I did manage to remove the worst of the distortion.

Plywood seat tops to be varnished and fitted. I could have stuck with alloy but it is cold and leaves black marks on skin.

There will also be a wooden clamping board on the transom and wooden rub rails around the sides. All woodwork is cut, I just need to take to a mates place and round the edges on his router table. Not long now until it is in the water.

While I am waiting for the varnish to dry I also need to rebuild the carb on my outboard. Not running at the moment, has spark and new fuel in the tank so hopefully a carb clean, new needle valve, new gaskets, etc. will fix it.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would bet that rubrails will take that wobble out of the bow area. Good move making the seat tops out of wood. Sitting on metal can get bad in a hurry.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

It's hard for beginners to control distortion in aluminum boat building.

Here the bears actually chase you in the river. Skip to 0:25 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuuxqZZCRg
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I take it that was the Waimak? That river can go from quiet to sink your 4WD in minutes. Fortunately they record rainfall and flow. I always check it before going after Salmon. No jet boat though. Spending all my $$ on the C17.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:00 pm I take it that was the Waimak? That river can go from quiet to sink your 4WD in minutes. Fortunately they record rainfall and flow. I always check it before going after Salmon. No jet boat though. Spending all my $$ on the C17.
I was up the Waiau. It was a weird day. The Waiau was up from 50 to 655 cumecs, Waimak only up from 50 to 100 cumecs, Rakia only an extra 10 cumecs and Rangitata no change.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

I've been having problems posting photos so can't show the progress but I now have the clamping board and rub rails on, just waiting for a few coats of varnish before the splash.

I've got a week off and am heading up to the bach (holiday house) tomorrow. I'll put the varnish on up there and splash tues or wed.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I sure hope you can post pictures from the splash. We hope it goes well for you.