Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by jacquesmm »

FluidDynamic wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:10 pm What is the point of placing the stringers on now if I'm going to remove all of the frames when it's flipped?
Does that mean you are thinking of planking without the stringers? The stringers will help guarantee a straight run on the planing area. Without them, there could be a hook or a hog that you don't see.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I believe they will keep the hull panels in line as they are being stitched and tacked together. Let’s see what the veterans say.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Oops. Jacques beet me to it.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Never built a boat before so I didn't really know what the point was. I see now. Thanks. I have the plywood, but not the epoxy yet. It was supposed to come today, but I saw the ups truck drive right by.

I know I've read not to use patterns to cut out the plywood, but I use microstation on a daily basis which I used to recreate the plans. I then have been printing the patterns out on mylar so there is no shrinkage. I'll have to put the patterns back on the frames so I can mark where the notches need to be cut out. Although I have been using patterns, I have been checking all of the measurements which have all checked out. I did catch a printing error which could have messed up the frames.
Attachments
IMG_20190104_192551.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am really happy to see a panga going together. I have a soft spot for them :wink:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 pm I am really happy to see a panga going together. I have a soft spot for them :wink:
I want to like them, but can't get used to the narrow beam or what I perceive as narrow beam.

Anyone know why they are narrow?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:41 pm Never built a boat before so I didn't really know what the point was. I see now. Thanks. I have the plywood, but not the epoxy yet. It was supposed to come today, but I saw the ups truck drive right by.

I know I've read not to use patterns to cut out the plywood, but I use microstation on a daily basis which I used to recreate the plans. I then have been printing the patterns out on mylar so there is no shrinkage. I'll have to put the patterns back on the frames so I can mark where the notches need to be cut out. Although I have been using patterns, I have been checking all of the measurements which have all checked out. I did catch a printing error which could have messed up the frames.
You might need to bevel forward edges of the last two frames. I did on mine and some similarities; despite being a very different hull. Oops, already mentioned.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

What frames are you talking about beveling? E and F or A and B?
The narrow beam is what I want in a small boat. I have a 28 foot McKee Craft with a 10 foot beam. This boat draws 30 inches of water and I can't get it in narrow places for inshore fishing. I wanted a boat that can take Bay chop and also float in less than a foot of water. I know that it has it's limitations, but so does my McKee Craft. It will be used for me and one of my kids. No more than two people in boat. Anymore than that, we will take the other boat out.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:14 am What frames are you talking about beveling? E and F or A and B?
The narrow beam is what I want in a small boat. I have a 28 foot McKee Craft with a 10 foot beam. This boat draws 30 inches of water and I can't get it in narrow places for inshore fishing. I wanted a boat that can take Bay chop and also float in less than a foot of water. I know that it has it's limitations, but so does my McKee Craft. It will be used for me and one of my kids. No more than two people in boat. Anymore than that, we will take the other boat out.
Frames toward the bow is all.

I don't know if Mertens already figures that in or not. I just had some trouble with the issue in a different build.

Thanks for the feedback on the Panga. They are neat boats and I love the lines or I wouldn't be cheering you on.

They use them a lot fishing around Mexico and I think they use them nearshore in deeper water. This may be the confusion for me.

Perhaps they do so for the versatility to fish beach edges?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy the original Panga was developed by Yamaha as part of a project for a World Bank project for 3rd world countries. They were designed to be seaworthy, easily powered and easily built. The narrow beam resulted as part of the seaworthy and easily powered part. The first ones were about 22' long and others developed from about 19 - 28' long. Wikipedia has more info.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978