Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

I have marveled at the beauty of a Panga for years. I'm now building one.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 am Fallguy the original Panga was developed by Yamaha as part of a project for a World Bank project for 3rd world countries. They were designed to be seaworthy, easily powered and easily built. The narrow beam resulted as part of the seaworthy and easily powered part. The first ones were about 22' long and others developed from about 19 - 28' long. Wikipedia has more info.

Tom
Cool. I had no idea and will read up on them.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Looks are a somewhat subjective thing - the Panga looks have grown on me over time - but maybe it is because Form follows function!! You absolutely can not beat a Panga as the most versatile and capable offshore fishing boat for its size. It punches so far above its weight class.

The ability to troll lures at any speed you like, with no planing hump to get over, a very small prop wash so u can fish your lures really close, and do all this on half or a third the fuel of a similar sized planing hull is what makes them so great.

Here is a well kitted out yamaha Panga 23 that regularly outfishes everyone all on about 12 gallons of fuel a day!!

It has a canvas dodger and they have raised the rod holders at the back and added thin sheets of fiberglass to keep it drier. The free board is pretty low and these ones are not self bailing - though the hulls are foamed so they don't sink. Not a lover of their looks but they work great.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I think I made a mistake with applying the marinepoxy to the transom. I ordered and used slow hardener. My garage want get above 65 for a week. It will probably range from 55 to 70 for the next week. Is the transom ruined, or will it eventually harden?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Should not be a problem. I used Marine epoxy with slow hardner on my transom. I keep my work area at 60f and it was hard as a rock overnight. If it has been over 24 hours and it is still not hard I would be wondering if I mixed it correct. Now if it is 40f overnight and only warms up to 60f during the day it could take some time for it to set but it will with a little warmer weather.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Thanks, I was hoping I didn't mess it up. I'll check it tomorrow and see if it's hardening. I guess I could add some heat with maybe a warning light.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I screwed up one batch on my build. Forgot to stir enough. Took me 8 hours to remove the glass.

It was cold, too, so lost some days thinking it was the cold.

Those halogen heat lamps work well, but keep em back far and don't use them unattended.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I hope I'm stirring enough. I put 2 parts resin in one cup then 1 part hardener in another. I pour the resin from one cup to the other then stir for a minute. I then pour that cup back to the other cup and stir for another minute. I do the same another 2 times. Might be a little overkill.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

One minite 12 oz or less
Two minutes bigger...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FluidDynamic, Maybe a little overkill on mixing, go with guidance from FallGuy. What is your current day-time and night-time temps in your area? Jeff