New member: Coosa deck

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
cej2525
New Poster
New Poster

New member: Coosa deck

Post by cej2525 »

I just picked up a Delta craft skiff right outside of Mobile Al. I have been looking for one for quite a while. It's a 14'6" vessel that was built by the Melech family in Mobile. I fish there a lot and being from Ms it had some nostalgia to it. My plan is to build some basic 36" casting decks on the bow and stern. These will span port to stbd. I am basically building a single man poling skiff with the occasional passenger. My question is will Coosa Bluewater 26 be better than wood? I can pick it up in Mobile at around $120 for a 4x8 sheet. I understand that I will need to construct framework under it. Just trying to keep the weight down.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: New member: Coosa deck

Post by fallguy1000 »

The coosa won't be as stiff as the same plywood, so you want the 3/4" or 20mm coosa and you'll need to lay 1708 on each side. It'll be great.

One of my pet peeves is the area underneath getting wet.

I suggest a guttered hatch that dumps into the bilge aft of the locker.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cej2525
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cej2525 »

Thanks for the reply. Everything I read points to 3/4 being the way to go. The decks will be so small I thought about making the entire top on the bow hinged. Maybe even 2 spots in the rear. I plan on putting port and stud drain holes in the supporting bulkheads. If it gets to complicated for hatch access I'll just leave the front open. I scored a 50" x 30' roll of 1708 for $75. It's main purpose will be single man fly fishing for reds in some super shallow ponds on the Ms coast. Trying to keep the weight down to keep the draft high as possible.
It will be powered by a 2016 Yamaha 15hp.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I would strongly recommend making it waterproof, either guttered lids or side access from aft.

I hate water getting into my forward deck on my Lund 16'.

It is a mold factory. Someday I am gonna make it a dry locker with gutters.

cej2525
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cej2525 »

I will look in to it for sure. If it wasn't for the fact I need to be higher for sight fishing/poling I would leave it be. So the most direct route possible is where I'm going. I even contemplated leaving the bow and stern open for below deck access and only cover what's need for structural reasons. Thanks again for posting.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Why not just a poling platform on what is already there?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cej2525
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cej2525 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 am Why not just a poling platform on what is already there?
You have no idea how much I struggled with this before deciding on a deck. You are absolutely right, it is the most direct route to my needs. But this was my reasoning. Storing my gear and the boats needed equipment (batteries, tank, ect) out of the way. The front deck will elevate the front angler when present and a large cooler could be used if a deck was built. I have a Engel 80 that makes a roomy casting platform. The rear deck will help me have a shorter distance to climb on the platform as I'm not getting any younger(40 this month). I will use a tiller extension and sit right on the deck to drive.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

A casting deck is super right.

Do it and do it dry if you are able.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fair enough. Will you be removing the midship bench with the seat on it and then also what about the box behind the seat and the half bench the helm seat is on? The midship bench maybe for adding strength to the sides but the other two I would think are just there and would no longer serve a purpose, if you was thinking of removing them?
Also is that a capacity plate mounted on the stern? If so I believe it has to be visible so the boat can be inspected.

The deck in the front would it just be an extension of the small deck that is already there? And also what is the game plan for the aft deck? Even with the sides? Dropped down a few inches to help keep things in the boat? I am sorry for all the questions but I really like following all the builds and like what other builders are thinking.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I moved a pedestal mount to the front of the bench on a Lund 14. The boat tended to cork a bit with me alone forward, so the solution was more weight aft.

By corking, I mean heavy helm or bow running in circles with the trolling motor.

Anyhow, it worked well, but bow trolling was better with someone seated aft and the back motor down n straight.

I have a picture in an archive...