AR15 Denver

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AR15 Denver

Post by Biney777 »

Ok, so I lied... the glued up bowsprit was not perfectly straight. :oops: in all my stumbling around trying to get epoxy on the strips I tripped over the 2x's i had leveled out a bunch of times and must not have put one back exactly right. I made the blank oversized so a bit of creative table saw work and I have it trued up. (I hope anyway.)
Shrink wrapped bowsprit blank.
Shrink wrapped bowsprit blank.
I also got the end started to the correct diameter
As far as the hole saw will get me.
As far as the hole saw will get me.
Here is a pic of the tool idea I came up with when making the mast for my first build. Fingers crossed it works as well on this bowsprit as it did on the mast.
Bottomless hole saw!
Bottomless hole saw!
Getting the bowsprit to fit into a drill chuck is going to be the tough part. :wink:
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Biney!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is a really slick trick for cutting the bow spirit. Amazes me the things guys here can come up with when they need to.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Yes, very nice!

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thanks, Jeff, Fuzz, and Bogie!

It is working really good. I think I darn near fried a Milwaukee cordless drill tonight tho. And then I pushed a corded Milwaukee drill to the edge too! Gotta bring my 1/2" single speed drill home tomorrow!
Half way on the first pass! After using my 13" planer to get as close as I dared.
Half way on the first pass! After using my 13" planer to get as close as I dared.
Final size, gonna need a bigger drill.
Final size, gonna need a bigger drill.
HF 3" sanding disc is working so far!
HF 3" sanding disc is working so far!
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Wow! That is a work of art. Very nice, Chris.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thanks Bogie!

I went to HF looking to buy a 2" lathe chuck to turn the bowsprit. It is online only and the reviews were poor with shipping being slow. So I grabbed a 4$ disc holder. The disc holder is working great. Takes a moment to get it centered well but compared to the contraption that I used to turn the mast it is great!.

That being said I found myself this morning looking on the Rockler site and thinking about buying the 65$ 2" lathe chuck that may or may not work and will for sure require some engineering to use in a drill chuck. I definitely should have adult supervision.

Chris, "who is not going to Rockler today."

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

This is my favorite kind of posting on our great forum. One of our previous builders--I'll have to look for it--made a lathe by attaching a hand drill to his mast and then strapping the drill to some plywood on the floor. He supported the length using dolly wheels and tooled it just like you would on a normal lathe. It came out great.
Tony

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thank you Tony.

That is basically how I made the sprit on my first build. My home made 12' lathe worked ok, but mine was REALLY dangerous. I had hole drilled a couple chunks of 2x4 to support the length. I hadn't been able to engineer any type of wheel system to support the middle. I figured if things went bad the 2x4's would keep the sprit from killing me at least. And then from those support 2x4's got the idea for the bottomless hole saw!

I am not saying this method is safe, but compared to wrapping a piece of sandpaper around a spinning 12' long piece of wood.... The problem with this technique is that it doesn't true up the wood like a proper lathe would. I am making the bowsprit a touch undersized because of that. And I am planning on wrapping it in the fiberglass sock that bbc sells for added strength.

I ordered plans for long hollow sculling oars. I really hope this works for them as well. And I have gotten soooo spoiled by Amazon. I ordered the plans over the weekend (not from Amazon) and they haven't even been shipped yet!!!

Chris "who is not patiently waiting for oar plans." and "who stole this way of signing his posts from "Dougster"". :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yep. I remember when Bezos started his weird online book sales site and everyone wondered how it would work.
Tony