AR15 Denver

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AR15 Denver

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice, Chris!

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thanks Fuzz,
I started with the Festool 125 too, after going thru 3+ "affordable" 5" ro's. The 125 is my goto sander for most everything, even the bow area is too small for the 150. I was using the 150 on some initial hull smoothing yesterday. Just trying to knock down the fg tape edges before I start fairing.
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Bogieman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am Very nice, Chris!
Thanks, Bogie!

It was your "fault" I was in the basement sanding last night. The pics of your progress and that you are just ahead of me on the build progression is a huge motivator!
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Biney777 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Bogieman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am Very nice, Chris!
Thanks, Bogie!

It was your "fault" I was in the basement sanding last night. The pics of your progress and that you are just ahead of me on the build progression is a huge motivator!
Yes, I can be a bad influence :D

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Bogie, btw I do appreciate your "bad" influence on me! :D

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

I have been making progress on several fronts with the build. Although the fairing/smoothing of the bow has been a motivational killer. When my plan was for it to be a closed bow I had just knocked down any sharp/jagged edges and called it good. So having to go back and sand off primer etc. then fair up the uglies has been a drag.
Covering the bowsprit launch tube.
Covering the bowsprit launch tube.
First coat of fairing second effort on bow cmpartment.
First coat of fairing second effort on bow cmpartment.
I also have added a piece of oak to the bow "stem???" So that the forestay chainplate and bow eye have something real solid to grab onto. Probably overbuild but it also made fairing that front inside angle a lot easier. Too bad I spent so much time trying to get it right before I put the piece of oak in there. :oops:
Solid oak stem glued in with wood flour.
Solid oak stem glued in with wood flour.
I did a mock up of the bow deck because I was struggling to visualize it with the off center lightening hole in frame A and the cover over the bowsprit launch tube.
Open bow mock up.
Open bow mock up.
I think it should give plenty of room for the spinnaker to launch/recover, and also leave enough area around the edge to step or kneel if/when necessary. I think I am going to install maybe a 1/2" tall × 1" wide bumper around the bow area. My plan is to rig it so that I never have to go up on that area while moving but "never" rarely comes true.

Because my back had given up on sanding in the bow I did glue up the bowsprit finally yesterday. I am just using 9 strips of clear straight grained Douglas Fir that I found in the salvage pile at HD. These strips had damage at 9' 4" I primed all the strips with straight epoxy then used Milled Glass fiber and epoxy for the glue up. It did not go smoothly. I am glad I did this solid piece glue up as a practice run before I try to do a hollow glue up for the oars that I got the Douglas fir for originally. Once I had everything as gooped up as I could get. Including me... I wrapped it in shrink wrap and then laid it on some 2x2 I had leveled out on the floor. Sorry no pics of the middle steps as I am not kidding I had epoxy on everything. Not my skin but went thru several pairs of gloves and all the trowels etc. were just coated.
9 strips w/ grain turned 90° from each other.
9 strips w/ grain turned 90° from each other.
There is a shrink wrapped straight bow sprit under that 2x6 I swear!
There is a shrink wrapped straight bow sprit under that 2x6 I swear!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You know it was a rough glue up when you see a random bar clamp, on the floor, and a chip brush with the handle broken off next to it! 8O

:D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Looks really good. I like the bow mock up. And the idea of adding that oak piece in the bow was a good one.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 pm You know it was a rough glue up when you see a random bar clamp, on the floor, and a chip brush with the handle broken off next to it! 8O

:D
Lol, and that freakin chip brush broke on the first stroke! Ya gotta hate it when that happens...

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Bogieman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 pm Looks really good. I like the bow mock up. And the idea of adding that oak piece in the bow was a good one.
Thanks Bogie!