Page 1 of 1

AR15 Denver

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 am
by Biney777
Hi Everybody, Here is the latest overall pic of my AR15 build. Just dry fitting the seat sides. I also glassed the rudder blade and Centerboard this weekend. And just from looking at these pics I can tell I will need to start keeping my shop a whole lot more organized! :wink: :wink: .

Re: AR15 Denver

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:59 am
by cape man
I thought AR 15's were now illegal in Colorado! :help: No wonder you have built it so stealthily. :lol:

Wow! She looks awesome! I'll send pics of my shop to make you feel better.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:06 am
by OrangeQuest
Looking good!

A clean shop means you are not doing anything and got bored! :D

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 am
by Bogieman
Well alright, alright, alright! NICE looking AR15 right there. I really like the shape of the boat too. She's going to be a lot of fun on the lakes. Thanks for posting!

Oh and BTW your pic is sideways but it rights itself if you click on it. Never seen that before. Some forum pics can be enlarged and some can't. I was trying to enlarge one of yours and it flipped itself the right way and enlarged :D

Bogie

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 am
by Jeff
Biney777, Looks good!!! Keep the photos coming!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 am
by Biney777
Thank you all, for the kind words. Jeff you were right about having a build thread helping with motivation. Long day at work today and I still found the energy to take some pics of what I got done this weekend. I did chat with Mauri Pro Sailing today and now have a plan for the Furling system for the headsail. Just need to get it ordered and get the spec's to Precision Sails.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 am
by Bogieman
Very nice! And thanks for posting the sail info. I need to start looking for a sail (the modified Chinese lug sail that's in the AD16 plans) before too long. That AR15 looks robust!

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am
by Jaysen
Boogie, the sail isn't the long pole right now. I think you want to make sure you want the lug over bermuda as it will change a bit of the rigging. I'm not saying DON'T go with the lug. I'm just thinking it might be worth holding off a bit before you get the sail. I have a few questions that we should discuss over adult beverages (we can summarize the discussion here once we've sobered up from the "discussion").

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am
by BrianC
Jason, most of the water here in Colorado is very cold (most is frozen right now!) so choosing a sailing rig less likely to put you in the water is the way to go if you want to maxize season length. The alternative is to wear a dry suit for all your spring sailing and whenever you go sailing on one of the mountain lakes. - Brian

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 am
by Jaysen
Bogieman and I are on the South Carolina coast (I was actually in the water over the weekend because it was warmer than the air!). The area that BM is going to be sailing in has some features that might make the sail options available in a Bermuda rig preferable to a lug. There's nothing wrong with a lug sail but I think in BM case it bares a bit of "inebriated discussion".

If I were in Denver, my biggest concern would be finding a way to move someplace warm! But I'm a sissy when it comes to cold. Hence my departure from upstate NY to the glorious SC coast.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 am
by Bogieman
Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 am Bogieman and I are on the South Carolina coast (I was actually in the water over the weekend because it was warmer than the air!). The area that BM is going to be sailing in has some features that might make the sail options available in a Bermuda rig preferable to a lug. There's nothing wrong with a lug sail but I think in BM case it bares a bit of "inebriated discussion".

If I were in Denver, my biggest concern would be finding a way to move someplace warm! But I'm a sissy when it comes to cold. Hence my departure from upstate NY to the glorious SC coast.
Jaysen! Are you now referring to me as 'BM"? Because if you are that sort of stinks :lol: You should go back to to calling me Boogie at least that's a little closer to "Bogie", which is of course the correct nickname.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:54 am
by Jaysen
Bogieman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 am Bogieman and I are on the South Carolina coast (I was actually in the water over the weekend because it was warmer than the air!). The area that BM is going to be sailing in has some features that might make the sail options available in a Bermuda rig preferable to a lug. There's nothing wrong with a lug sail but I think in BM case it bares a bit of "inebriated discussion".

Jaysen! Are you now referring to me as 'BM"? Because if you are that sort of stinks :lol: You should go back to to calling me Boogie at least that's a little closer to "Bogie", which is of course the correct nickname.
You're the one that picked a name that, when written as two words, has a very unfortunate monogram. :P

I thought you might appreciate the one time humor. I promise that lowbrow humor will continue without the need for TP.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:52 pm
by OrangeQuest
And here in I was very confused with the reference to "BM". I was thinking BatMan and didn't know BatMan was building a sail boat but then was thinking maybe he was and Jaysen doesn't want him to have a sail that looks like a bat wing. But BM for Bogieman makes sense too. :?

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:02 pm
by cape man
I'm just twerked no one bit on my AR15s being banned in Colorado... :roll: Thought it was kinda quick... 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 pm
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:02 pm I'm just twerked no one bit on my AR15s being banned in Colorado... :roll: Thought it was kinda quick... 8)
No one seem to get my BatMan comment either.

Tough crowd. :cry:

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:05 pm
by Jaysen
The AR comment sent me to w store to stock up in part for the son spawn.

I will admit that the BatMan one has me questioning my misspent youth.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:27 am
by Biney777
I am still just trying to figure out if Bogie was calling my boat fat? When he referred to it as "Robust"... :doh:

I did get the centerboard rough sanded and trial fitted tonight. It fit and pivots too. I was concerned that my tube within a tube with a bolt in the middle cb pivot design might not work. It seems to work just fine. Yay! Of course now that I think about it, I better tilt the boat enough to make sure that it will pivot all the way down. Darnit!

Bogie, i made the mast and sprit for my first boat out of Redwood heartwood. I think it turned out pretty good and has held up in winds that i should not have been sailing in(20-25mph) Actually I wasn't sailing so much as sinking...Everytime I sheeted in the sail the boat heeled and the leeward rubrail went under the water. By the time i figured out how to balance the boat, sheet in the sail, and hold onto the tiller at the same time the boat was easily 3/4 full of water. Not having any more hands available for bailing I then thought the prudent choice was to sail back toward shore. :D

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am
by Bogieman
She looks great. I'm really enjoying these pics. There's just not enough sailboat threads on here so thanks for starting up your thread. By robust I meant that she looks sturdy / stout / tough /rugged... :lol: I like the way Jacques designed the frames and how nice everything flows.

I'm sort of new at this sailing business; can't wait to get out there. What kind of sail is that? The modified Chinese Lug sail I'm planning to use also wraps around the mast and boom like that.
Build on,

Bogie

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 am
by remedy32
Great looking build. Nice to see a sailboat as others have said.

Not sure whether you have sourced your spars yet but keep your eyes open for suitable donors at all times. I'm guessing that rigs from Vanguard 15 , JY15 or others would be a decent fit. Cost of a full NEW rig will give you chills! Post more pix as you move along!

Bill
CT

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 am
by OrangeQuest
That center board reminded me of one I had made to put on my kayak. I also built a mast that plugged into a Scotty rod holder that was on my kayak. Never could get myself to cut the slot in the hull.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am She looks great. I'm really enjoying these pics. There's just not enough sailboat threads on here so thanks for starting up your thread. By robust I meant that she looks sturdy / stout / tough /rugged... :lol: I like the way Jacques designed the frames and how nice everything flows.

I'm sort of new at this sailing business; can't wait to get out there. What kind of sail is that? The modified Chinese Lug sail I'm planning to use also wraps around the mast and boom like that.
Build on,

Bogie
Ha, no worries Bogieman. I actual thought "Robust" was a great word. But I did look it up just to be sure. :wink:

It is a sprit sail and from my very limited sailing experience works great! I only have maybe 10 hrs of total sailing time under my belt though. So I know that I don't know what I am talking about. :D

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am
by Biney777
Here is a pic or two of the sprit rig. I do know of one drawback to the sprit rig. I have already been told by a passenger that my sail was the wrong shape! Now, I am not an angry person, but that comment along with several other suggestions she had made on how to fix my boat. (I hadn't known it was broken) Had me sorely tempted to make her walk (swim) back to the dock! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 am
by Biney777
remedy32 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 am Great looking build. Nice to see a sailboat as others have said.

Not sure whether you have sourced your spars yet but keep your eyes open for suitable donors at all times. I'm guessing that rigs from Vanguard 15 , JY15 or others would be a decent fit. Cost of a full NEW rig will give you chills! Post more pix as you move along!

Bill
CT
You are correct Sir. Chills were definitely experienced when pricing the spars and sails. I did also get chills though when unboxing the new mast and boom from Dwyer Mast and Rigging. As much as I would have liked to have saved some money, with my very limited sailing knowledge I didn't want to risk it.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am
by Biney777
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 am That center board reminded me of one I had made to put on my kayak. I also built a mast that plugged into a Scotty rod holder that was on my kayak. Never could get myself to cut the slot in the hull.
Yep, I hear that. It took a solid 2+ weeks of measuring and eyeballing it over and over before I was able to make the first cut! And it was barely more than boat shaped at that point.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 am
by Jaysen
Wrong shape? Meaning cut wrong or underway the sail was improperly trimmed resulting in poor shape to sail?

Typically the peak is higher than the throat but I’ve seen both. I would recommend a bit more tension in peak via shortened snotter but I tend to sail loose too.

Take a look at http://bateau2.com/howto/sprit_rig.php as a start for sprit rig. The plans should have given you sail dimensions ...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm
by Biney777
Ha, no she thought it should be pointy on top like the other sailboats had... She also told me that her other friends sailboat could sail in any direction you pointed it. The only thing i could think of was maybe they have only ever let her "steer" when the engine was running??? Either way, I am sure that she is absolutely "clueless" and was just really really trying to impress me with her knowledge of sailing. (She didn't)

Anyway, I gotta believe that anything with "Snotter" as a technical term has gotta be good! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm
by Jaysen
I find it fun to go to "the big" sailing group and talk sprit rigs with the "old guys" while watching the faces of the "racers". They clearly think we are all senile. But then I don't think any of them know that their bermuda rigs are actually "new technology".

And talking about the snotter around kids is a TON of fun. nothing but giggles.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 pm
by OrangeQuest
I always tell parents with teenagers that come on our kayak tours we have an option: for $200.00 non-refundable, we give them a big anchor with a short rope and no questions asked. Sounds like you could make that option handy Biney! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm
by Bogieman
He said Bogus :lol: Nice looking boat and rig. I've always been partial to red boats for some reason.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm
by Biney777
Darn auto correct! I just now figured out what you were talking about! :oops:

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:45 am
by Biney777
Jaysen wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm I find it fun to go to "the big" sailing group and talk sprit rigs with the "old guys" while watching the faces of the "racers". They clearly think we are all senile. But then I don't think any of them know that their bermuda rigs are actually "new technology".

And talking about the snotter around kids is a TON of fun. nothing but giggles.
In all the research I did in deciding which boat to build first, then in how to build it. Everything I read said that Sprit sails were very efficient and easy to handle. Only real drawback is the sprit getting in the way on one tack. I have been really happy with it. It sails really close to the wind. I haven't tried it with a reef in it yet. And I still need to figure out how to rig the brail eye line? And I know I am not tyeing or is the word lashing it "correctly". When this next sailing season gets here I will be asking lots more questions! That tutorial link did have a lot of good information! Thank you.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:58 am
by Jaysen
Lashing when the mast is out if the step OR you use a line other than the braile line. If you have a braile line you’ve brailed the sail.

I gave up in the braile for now. I just use the sheet and toss a quick wrap around the sail/mast with a slip hitch. The one thing I feel is important is having the snotter be easily adjustable. I have a block possitiined just above where the snotter should meet the mast. I then run the snotter from the sprit through the block to a cleat just above thebmast partner. This allows me to adjust the sprit easily (bit not underway). When it’s tume to drop sail I just release the snotter (hitch it to sail lacinging) and roll the sail on the mast.

If I had a larger sail I’d probably work on a braile line ....

I’ve been extremely pleased with how my Lil Bit sails. I think the sprit sail keeps me out of trouble compared to a Marconi or Bermuda. I keep trying to get in trouble be ...

Looking forward to more pics of your build.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:37 pm
by Biney777
I really like the Red as well. Here a couple shots of my last trip out on 10/29 and one of what the lake looks like today. I have the build bug bad. I am out of town for the weekend and am bummed that I can't work on the boat this weekend! :help:

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:21 pm
by Bogieman
Nice pics! And holy cow, is that a folding / two-part boat? I've never seen that done before w/ a Bateau designed boat. Bet that makes it easier to travel / store. Pretty cool.

Bogie

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:07 pm
by Biney777
Shush Bogie.... :wink: It isn't a Bateau design. :oops: It is a good design, BUT the one time I reached out for help from the designer his response was "I am not in a place that I can provide any builder support. I will send your money back if you want?" Because of that response and these blog's/threads. The incredible helpfulness of Jeff and Reid and Jacques. I looked exclusively at Bateau designs for my second build!

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm
by Biney777
Yay! It does swing all the way down to vertical. Now I just have to figure out the mechanism for lowering and raising it.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:47 pm
by Bogieman
That looks great! Can you use a painter with a knot in it?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am
by Biney777
That is the plan, per the tutorial page/photo that I found. My plan is to fair it and prime and paint it before I drill the hole for the painter. I still have to do some sanding inside the centerboard trunk to clean-up some runs in the epoxy. I am hoping I can minimize the rub marks on the centerboard when lowering/raising it by using some nylon spacers.

How does it stay lowered though? I do have it weighted with lead it just seems like the water pressure would push it backwards???

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:51 pm
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am That is the plan, per the tutorial page/photo that I found. My plan is to fair it and prime and paint it before I drill the hole for the painter. I still have to do some sanding inside the centerboard trunk to clean-up some runs in the epoxy. I am hoping I can minimize the rub marks on the centerboard when lowering/raising it by using some nylon spacers.

How does it stay lowered though? I do have it weighted with lead it just seems like the water pressure would push it backwards???
If it's anything like the Adelie's swing keel / centerboard the weight of the lead inside will keep it all the way down when underway. So I guess it sort of hangs there when it's fully down. When it's not all the way down then tension would be on the painter itself. The Adelie centerboard can be locked with a pin thru the CB/ CB case when it's halfway down or fully up.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:11 pm
by Biney777
The plan for this evening and weekend:
Friday night
1. 1 coat of quickfair/microballoons/bondo??? On the inside of the remaining lockers, 3 done 3 togo.
2. Cut backerplates for the 6 hatches. After some thought i think I will only install 2 hatches before launch. I mean how much gear storage space could I possible need??? But i do want to install the backer for all possible locations. It will firm up the seat sides a lot and doesn't add much weight. And wayyyy easier to do with the seat sides laying on a table. :D
Saturday morning ha, the rest of the weekend...
3. Rough sand all the lockers just to knock down any sharp edges or jagged epoxy mistakes...
4. 1 coat of primer
5. Epoxy backer plates to seat sides
6. 2nd coat of primer
7. White bilge paint all lockers and centerboard pivot space
8. Epoxy last floor section in place.
9. Start to look at seat sides and tops for fairness

I think that is optimistic but possible if i can stay after it!

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:11 pm
by Bogieman
She's looking really good!

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:05 am
by Biney777
Thank you.

So far I have one coat of total fair on all the compartments (6). I have 3 compartments sanded ready for primer. I have most of the sharp edges rounded off. I am going to need to order more total fair and I don't even want to guess how much more i will need for the exterior.

I got started on the template for the hatch backing I want to install but just barely started.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:15 am
by Biney777
I managed to get the last "future" gear locker space sanded down this evening. And I only had to buy one additional detail sander to do it. :wink: We'll see how it holds up. The guy at Lowes said it had a 2 yr manufacturers warranty. I laughed out loud, and said if I get 60 days out of it I will be happy! :D

I got a nice surprise in the mail today! My Harken roller furler got here already!
Harken 434 roller/furler for small boats! From "Mauri Pro Sailing"
Harken 434 roller/furler for small boats! From "Mauri Pro Sailing"
I also got an email from the sail maker "Precision Sails" that "they are going to build the headsail as a zipper luff.  I will need to get a cable for between the furler drum and swivel.  The sail will have a zipper luff with SR-14 cringles for me to lash to the furling unit.  As the sail stretches I can readjust the lashings so the sail will always fit."
That sounds perfect to me and I think I even know what most of the words mean. :doh: I already have the luff wire/cable here from Dwyer Mast and Rigging and I am hopeful it is adjustable. I will dig into the rigging bag tomorrow and find out!

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 am
by Bogieman
You have some good stuff going on there.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 am
by Jaysen
I wouldn’t have thought to use a roller on an ar15. But for pleasure sailing it makes perfect sense. Does this mean you aren’t demasting end of the day?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:02 am
by OrangeQuest
The interior does look good!
Good thing you posted pictures cause most of your words are over my pay grade! :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:36 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Guys,

It was tough to spend so much time and energy on areas that nobody will ever see unless they are digging around in a locker. Which means I know them well enough to not care that it looks rough or they are stealing from me where I really don't care what they think. :wink: Ultimately I did aim for smooth and easy to clean over pretty. And the thought "just shut up and sand it" kept me making progress all weekend.

My plan is to always de-rig it after use. My primary reason for the roller/furler was because I will be mostly single handed. And never having hoisted a jib in my life this seemed much easier. Also the deck isn't very big and I am considering a spinnaker chute (pic attached) and an anchor locker at the bow which would make the bow deck very tough to stand on. I am using the same primary reason for the spinnaker tube as the roller furler. What are people's thoughts on the launch tube?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:46 pm
by Bogieman
I agree with you on the sanding. I'm planning to just sand smooth and then paint my two coffin berths, but I'll spend a lot more time and effort working in the cabin.

BTW I have no idea what that thing in the picture is or what it does :D

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:46 pm
by Biney777
:help: :help: :help:

I have managed to install the starboard frames D and E incorrectly. Frame E the first one in front of the transom is installed 1" closer to the centerline than the port side. Frame D the second frame in front of the teansom is installed 1/2" closer to the centerline than the port side. I realized this as I was attempting to install the seat sides and make the cockpit square. I will attach pics of the issue.

It doesn't appear to be twisted badly, just that the starboard hull is flatter thru those to frames. They were 2 piece frames, when i installed them.

Thanks to Bogieman for helping to talk me off the ledge about just burning it and starting over. :oops:

Ideas suggestions on any possible fixes???

Thank You

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 pm
by Jeff
Biney, check your email!! Jacques responded back to you on email!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Jeff!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm
by Biney777
Here is Jacques response:
"When you write "closer to the CL", what does that mean? Are your frames or molds not symmetrical or did you not properly set up the middle of the molds/frames with the CL? I think the 2nd one is the most probable one.

What is off? Are your frames assymetrical? For example, at E, is the boat wider on one side? How much and where? At the sheer or at the chine? 

Let's understand that first."

Thank you Jacques for your quick response!

The frames are symmetrical, it is I believe that the starboard chine panel is at a steeper angle than the port side, allowing the starboard sheer and chine to both be flatter with the issue being more extreme at the sheer line. I have attached pictures above. The measurement from the centerline to the chine/sheer panel seam is 3/4" shorter on the starboard side at frame E. Let me know if you need any other angles or information?

Thanks again!

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am
by Bogieman
How's it going Biney? Did you come up with a good solution to the problem?

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 am
by jacquesmm
Something twisted during the assembly but it's not the end of the world.
3/4" at the sheer may only be 3/8 at the chine and should not affect the sailing performance. Except for plain downwind, you always sail on one side and the boat does know that it is asymmetrical.
Correct it at the benches and deck level and keep building.
As I wrote in my email, I have seen asymmetrical hulls often in production boats and nobody ever knew except for the designer and some people on the assembly line.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 pm
by Bogieman
Well, that sounds like a simple fix. Build on Biney!

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 am
by Biney777
Thank you Jacques. Just so I am sure that I understand. My plan is to cut the D and E frames on the starboard side free from the side panels. I marked where i am planning to cut the frames free with black tape. Then insert a 1/2" and 1" spacer respectively to make the gunwales be symetrical w/ the port side. I think that is ultimately the simplest way to correct it at the bench and deck levels. Also i can just tape over the cuts/spacers w/ biax glass and it should not lose any strength? Please let me know if that plan is in line with your suggestion? If not please let me know what you are suggesting I do to fix the issue at the sheer and deck levels?

Thank you.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:38 am
by Biney777
Hi, my name is Biney and I am an overbuilder.... :D spent the weekend working on backing plates for future hatches that I most likely will never need or install. Also got the seat sides trial fitted and put one coat of bilge paint on the centerboard pivot compartments. And while the Daytona 500 was finishing up I worked on the centerboard and rudder blade.

I also took the plunge and ordered a Hepa Vacumm. I had an appointment with an allergist on Monday and she was not a fan of my working with epoxy and wood etc... in my basement! She actually asked: "Should we test your lung function now or wait until you are symptomatic?" Which I thought was a bit persumptious... :wink: Either way I have wanted a better vacumm for a while and now it is on its way! :!:

Btw, I think I have the interior frames trued up pretty well and am hoping that I can fix some/most of the symmetry issue by just splitting the difference and having the gunwale vary in thickness under the seat top.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:54 am
by OrangeQuest
Looking very good!

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 am
by Jeff
Nice work Biney777!! Hope you are staying warm out there!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 am
by Bogieman
:lol:

I did't realize you were building in your basement. That's pretty cool actually. We don't have basements in South Carolina because of the clay / watertable and I'm a guy from the north who misses having a basement!
Must be nice to grab your morning coffee and head down there without having a about what happening to the outside world.

Good to hear you are working out the problem on your starburd side.

Bogie

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 am
by pee wee
The boat is looking great, and making some good progress!

My view on the HEPA filters and dust control is that it's cheaper to buy the best equipment you can get than to pay for one medical problem, and that's without assigning a value to good health. It's the finest dust that causes the most trouble, the stuff that floats in the air and gets deepest in the lungs. I think even with good vacuum equipment you want to have an exhaust fan if possible, or at least one of those ambient air cleaners. Probably the best approach in a place like a basement is to wear your dust mask from the time you begin sanding until you leave the space, because the dust that harms the most doesn't settle for a long time.

Okay, done with the soap box! Your doc was kind of snarky but trying to make a point.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:56 pm
by Biney777
pee wee wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 am The boat is looking great, and making some good progress!

My view on the HEPA filters and dust control is that it's cheaper to buy the best equipment you can get than to pay for one medical problem, and that's without assigning a value to good health. It's the finest dust that causes the most trouble, the stuff that floats in the air and gets deepest in the lungs. I think even with good vacuum equipment you want to have an exhaust fan if possible, or at least one of those ambient air cleaners. Probably the best approach in a place like a basement is to wear your dust mask from the time you begin sanding until you leave the space, because the dust that harms the most doesn't settle for a long time.

Okay, done with the soap box! Your doc was kind of snarky but trying to make a point.
Thanks Pee Wee, I didn't think soap box at all from what you said. But I was once called a "white devil" by somebody standing on an actual soap box in Central Park. So my bar may be a bit high... :D

I agree with you completely and appreciate the point about the finest dust being the biggest problem. I have always tended to just ignore that which I can't see or feel. I do have a box fan that runs pretty much constantly(not looking forward to my gas bill) venting air out a window and one of the dust filters from WEN which as you can see from the picture I don't run nearly enough.

I have gone from wearing just a dust mask to wearing the charcoal filtered vapor mask that Home Depot carries. I have gotten accustomed to just putting it on when I go downstairs. It may not be necessary but the Dr's "snarky" comment did get the point across!

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm
by Bogieman
[/quote]
Thanks Pee Wee, I didn't think soap box at all from what you said. But I was once called a "white devil" by somebody standing on an actual soap box in Central Park. So my bar may be a bit high... :D
[/quote]

:lol: The same thing happened to me and some of my fellow Navy sailors when we were in Manhattan for the ticker tape parade following the gulf war in 91, except the guy added "blue-eyed". And-um- I have green eyes

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm
by Bogieman
I see I messed up the quote thingy. Oh well

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:51 pm
by Biney777
Thank you for the kind words Orange Quest and Jeff. With my redneck venting system I do sometimes have to wear a stocking cap in my basement and worst case I fire up my auxilary heating system for a few minutes. :D

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:36 pm
by Bogieman
Hey Biney! Just wondering how you're making out with your seat top/ sheer/ frame correction? Hope you got her all figured out.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:19 am
by Biney777
Hey Bogie, I think i have the cockpit alignment figured out. I just got the last pieces of the sole glued down. I put the frames on the seat sides for future hatches tonight. My plan tomorrow is to epoxy in the seat sides and dry fit the curve of the seat and the seat tops. Once that is all done i should be able to see how much of a symmetry problem i have at the sheer.
FedEx came today and I hate to admit it but I got a bit giddy with excitement...

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:38 am
by pee wee
That sander/vac combo looks great, I understand the Rotex is a sanding beast! 8)

Let us know how you like using it.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am
by Bogieman
Nice!

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 pm
by jacquesmm
That Festool is great. Expensive but worth it. The company loaned us one years ago to test it and it reduces dust to almost zero.
Dust is the most important health hazard in boat building followed closely by table saws.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm
by Fuzz
The 150 RO is a great tool and not having to deal with dust is simply marvellous :!: I have found the 150 to be a little heavy and aggressive for some uses so I bought the 125 also. Sweet thing is the 125 is the cheapest sander and still does a good job on the lighter work.
Warning Fesstool is boat builders crack. You will want more and more :roll:

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm
[/quote]

:lol: The same thing happened to me and some of my fellow Navy sailors when we were in Manhattan for the ticker tape parade following the gulf war in 91, except the guy added "blue-eyed". And-um- I have green eyes
[/quote]

I don't believe his primary focus was the color of your eyes. ;-) I was in New York 93-94 after being in the Air Force during Desert Storm I was stationed on Okinawa during the conflict.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:45 pm
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm I see I messed up the quote thingy. Oh well
Is there a tutorial anywhere for it? I have been looking and haven't found one. Cause I wanna be more like Jaysen. :wink: just don't tell him I said that... :oops:

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:54 pm
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:45 pm
Bogieman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 pm I see I messed up the quote thingy. Oh well
Is there a tutorial anywhere for it? I have been looking and haven't found one. Cause I wanna be more like Jaysen. :wink: just don't tell him I said that... :oops:
Haha! Yes there are some instructions in the 'how to's" but I don't remember how to do it and keep putting it off.

Yeah, if his head gets any bigger he's gonna need new glasses

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm
by OrangeQuest
If you click the Quotation mark in the post you want to quote you get this!

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm
by Jaysen

Code: Select all

or you can manually construct using BB code using the start tag [quote] and the end tag [/quote]. You can extend the quote with additional data elements but that’s work.  

I constructed this post in a [code] [/ code] block so you see the tags. 

I’ll post it below so you see how it looks. 

And yes... I’m that kind of a nerd. Deal.

or you can manually construct using BB code using the start tag
and the end tag
. You can extend the quote with additional data elements but that’s work.

I constructed this post in a

Code: Select all

block so you see the tags.

I’ll post it below so you see how it looks.

And yes... I’m that kind of a nerd. Deal.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm
by Jaysen
Bogieman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:54 pm
Haha! Yes there are some instructions in the 'how to's" but I don't remember how to do it and keep putting it off.

I hinknof it as adding additional floatation...

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm
by Biney777
Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm The 150 RO is a great tool and not having to deal with dust is simply marvellous :!: I have found the 150 to be a little heavy and aggressive for some uses so I bought the 125 also. Sweet thing is the 125 is the cheapest sander and still does a good job on the lighter work.
I hear that! I started with the Festool 125 to address the hand tingling I was getting from the cheap RO's That was 6 months ago when I still thought I had my sander addiction under control. Now that I am hitting the hard stuff I know I am in Trouble! :help:

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:29 pm
by Bogieman
Jaysen wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm
Bogieman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:54 pm

I hinknof it as adding additional floatation...
:lol: Yeah, but there's a bunch of smarts in there too. Hate to admit it

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm
by OrangeQuest
Biney777 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm
Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm The 150 RO is a great tool and not having to deal with dust is simply marvellous :!: I have found the 150 to be a little heavy and aggressive for some uses so I bought the 125 also. Sweet thing is the 125 is the cheapest sander and still does a good job on the lighter work.
I hear that! I started with the Festool 125 to address the hand tingling I was getting from the cheap RO's That was 6 months ago when I still thought I had my sander addiction under control. Now that I am hitting the hard stuff I know I am in Trouble! :help:
Are you saying that getting a Festool is to correct a medical condition similar to carpel tunnel syndrome? So a Festool sander could/should be covered by med ins? 8)

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm
by Biney777
OrangeQuest wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm
Biney777 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm
Are you saying that getting a Festool is to correct a medical condition similar to carpel tunnel syndrome? So a Festool sander could/should be covered by med ins? 8)
Ha! I like how you think Orange Quest. I was told by a physician that the lingering tingling was nerve damage I was causing by the prolonged exposure to the vibrations from the cheap RO sanders. While I was not able to use that for insurance purposes. It was surely a good enough reason for me to get my first Festool(fix)...

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:25 pm
by Biney777
I was making some progress yesterday. Just got the sest side front panels epoxied in when "real life" happened! ER trip x2 for a friend of mine. She is doing ok. Just needed some IV pain meds to manage what is "hopefully"recovery pain from a "minor" procedure on Friday... headed home again now. Hopefully get some more work done this afternoon.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:24 am
by Biney777
A quick update.
Spent most of Saturday cutting the strips for the seat radius, but I really like the plan and my first of 4 real pieces turned out excellent.
I also got the back of the seat sides glued in and filleted all the inside angles. I was hoping to be able to wet on wet the tape too but just ran out of energy. My fillets are textured enough I don't think I need to worry about the tape/epoxy bonding to it later, just would have liked to get it all done today.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 am
by Bogieman
She's looking really nice. Glad you got the kinks worked out.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am
by Biney777
Thanks Bogieman, sadly it isn't so much that i got the "kinks" wotked out, but that I got tired of banging my head against the side of the hull, bemoaning my decision to ever build a boat and cursing George Bueller's "Backyard Boatbuilding" bedevilment! :wink: I figure that either my mistakes will all balance out and it will sail straight, or I will have to find the correct size lake that people think I am sailing in circles on purpose! 8)

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 am
by jacquesmm
Your boat will sail straight, don't worry.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:49 pm
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am Thanks Bogieman, sadly it isn't so much that i got the "kinks" wotked out, but that I got tired of banging my head against the side of the hull, bemoaning my decision to ever build a boat and cursing George Bueller's "Backyard Boatbuilding" bedevilment! :wink: I figure that either my mistakes will all balance out and it will sail straight, or I will have to find the correct size lake that people think I am sailing in circles on purpose! 8)
Hey Biney! For what it's worth there have been segments of my build that didn't go togther quite right. It ticked me off at first but then I was like 'the heck with it, got to build the boat around my mistakes". And besides there's boats out there that were carved out of tree trunks or slapped together in a fashion nowhere near precise as what we're doing and they work just fine. In the end I don't think anyone besides me will ever know, except Jacques, maybe if he was standing next to her and eyeing all her lines :D

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:28 pm
by Biney777
jacquesmm wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 am Your boat will sail straight, don't worry.
Jacques, thank you for the vote of confidence. I have no doubt that you designed a boat that will sail straight! We may be vastly over estimating MY ability to sail in a straight line tho! :wink: :D

Could you throw some suggestions my way on my question about accessing the bow area? If the answer is just that I will always need to sail with a petite woman, I am good with that. I hear Jaysen's wife is looking for a boat with AC so if you can tell me where to install the AC unit in an AR15 problem solved! :wink:

Thanks

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:49 pm
Biney777 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am Thanks Bogieman, sadly it isn't so much that i got the "kinks" wotked out, but that I got tired of banging my head against the side of the hull, bemoaning my decision to ever build a boat and cursing George Bueller's "Backyard Boatbuilding" bedevilment! :wink: I figure that either my mistakes will all balance out and it will sail straight, or I will have to find the correct size lake that people think I am sailing in circles on purpose! 8)
Hey Biney! For what it's worth there have been segments of my build that didn't go togther quite right. It ticked me off at first but then I was like 'the heck with it, got to build the boat around my mistakes". And besides there's boats out there that were carved out of tree trunks or slapped together in a fashion nowhere near precise as what we're doing and they work just fine. In the end I don't think anyone besides me will ever know, except Jacques, maybe if he was standing next to her and eyeing all her lines :D
No worries, Bogieman. It is all good. My friends busted me the other night when I said. "The next boat I build...."

You and I do think a lot alike tho, I have used the carved out of tree trunks comparison before to keep moving forward.

I did manage to get the cockpit to sole seams taped last night and the epoxy was still tacky from the night before Our cold snap here worked in my favor!

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:15 pm
by Bogieman
There weee gooooo! That thing looks great. You've got her licked now

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:54 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Bogieman.
The spinnaker chute is being shipped. Now I just have to figure out how it works and what the rigging for it looks like! :help:

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:58 am
by Biney777
Not much energy tonight. But I did get one more section of the seat edge glued up. And I used the shrink wrap that was suggested in the tech thread. It looks like it worked well. I will know tomorrow!

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am
by Jeff
Really well done Biney!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:31 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Jeff, I know it is gonna be a push but I would really like to be sailing her by the 4 of July. Yes, this year. :wink:

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm
by Jeff
Just keep working!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:53 am
by Bogieman
Can't wait to see that once you taken the plastic off. Good work Biney

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:58 am
by Biney777
I got the radiused seat edges complete, they came out ok. I found that the stretch wrap was too thin and if epoxy squeezed thru I would have to cut the shrink wrap out. So I tried to put 6 mil plastic down first then stretch wrap the entire piece. The plastic came off much easier but the 6 mil left wrinkles/bulges of epoxy underneath it. I am not sure which way worked better. Probably the shrink wrap and just wipe off the epoxy before you let it set up. The pieces are really straight and seem plenty strong. They get two more layers of glass. 4" Woven tape to cover the gaps and then a layer of woven over the seat tops for wear resistance per the plans.

I still have to install the 2 chain plates and figure out how to rig the retractable spinnaker pole. I have the tube in just haven't found anything that shows how the spi pole rigging works yet. And until I have that figure out I can't put the seat tops on. :help:

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am
by Jeff
Nice Biney, good work!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 am
by Bogieman
Wow! Really nice Biney.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm
by Biney777
Jeff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am Nice Biney, good work!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!
I have been trying to understand the retractable spinnaker pole rigging. Is/are there any plans with perhaps a more detailed drawing or a build thread that shows how it works? From the pic which I will attach it shows a line going thru an in deck fitting to the aft end of the pole tube, where I assume it attachs to the spinnaker pole end. :?: There are 2 bulkheads between the thru deck fitting and the aft end of tube. :?: Albeit heavily fiberglassed overbuilt bulkeads too btw... :D The best pic I have found that shows how one of these is rigged I will attach as well. It has taken me more than several hours to find this pic but I think I am getting closer to understanding it now! Unfortunately with our "bomb cyclone" all the sailboats in my area are under 7+" of snow right now. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions!

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:32 am
by Biney777
A lot of measuring and leveling and straightening and I THINK I have the symmetry issue narrowed down to exactly 3/4" on frame E. My plan is to just add that to the gunwale on the starboard side. I don't think it will be visible at all and no way you could feel the difference either. Yay. :D

I have been doing a ton of reasearch and am starting to get a grasp of the rigging hardware I need and almost understand it enough to be able to ask questions! Somebody suggested the book "Rig Your Dinghy Right" great book but most of it is over my head. There have been some really nice pictures tho. :oops:

I did get the chainplate backing and the bow and stern eye reinforcement epoxied in.

I still have some rigging questions I need answers for and I have 2 more reinforcement areas I already know about that need to be installed.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:55 am
by Biney777
This is what we call "Good Sanding weather in Denver!".

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:37 pm
by Bogieman
Glad to hear you got it all worked out. She's looking great too. I don't know about all that snow though...

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:39 am
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie! It is Denver tho, so the snow is already gone and it is back to spring like temp's already!

My sails have been Shipped!!!

They are due to arrive Wednesday. I have only checked the shipping status 3 times so far....I think I am going to stay home from work just to make sure I am here to sign for them! :oops:

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 am
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:39 am Thanks Bogie! It is Denver tho, so the snow is already gone and it is back to spring like temp's already!

My sails have been Shipped!!!

They are due to arrive Wednesday. I have only checked the shipping status 3 times so far....I think I am going to stay home from work just to make sure I am here to sign for them! :oops:
Good stuff right there. You have every right to be excited

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:56 am
by Jeff
Nice Biney, hope they arrive safe & sound!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:36 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie.

Thanks Jeff, and Thank you for all your help and Jacques and Reid too! Your willingness to help and either provide me the answers or provide direction as to where I can find the answers has been Great! I really do appreciate it!

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:57 pm
by OrangeQuest
Just cause you get the boat on the water and sail away, don't forget to come back and post pictures of your beautiful boat on the water! :D

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 am
by Biney777
Thanks for the reminder Orange Quest, but I am still a long ways from splashing this one.

My total lack of sailing and rigging knowledge has been a much bigger obstacle than I expected.

I mean it when I say that Jeff taking my calls and Jacques willingness to address my myriad of questions mostly caused by my total lack of sailing knowledge has been a a very big deal! Shoot, Jeff has done everything but read me a bedtime story to help me over this hurdle!.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:31 pm
by Biney777
They Arrived!!!

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:46 pm
by BB Sig
That's cool! :D

:doh: What are those funny sheets for? :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm
by Bogieman
:D

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:23 am
by Biney777
:doh: What are those funny sheets for? :lol:
[/quote]

I am not completely sure myself, but I am told that of I take this stack of wood...
Plywood aka oh wait...
Plywood aka oh wait...
These shiny sticks...
Shiny sticks aka mast and boom
Shiny sticks aka mast and boom
And the funny sheets...
Funny Sheets aka Sails
Funny Sheets aka Sails
And do what Jacques tells me to do, in the end I should have something that floats on water and moves by itself when it is windy. :?: . :?: . I know Right! I don't entirely believe it myself! :D

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:31 am
by OrangeQuest
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 am
by topwater
Nice looking set of sails are they Mylar :?: What did you get for head sails a code O and a screecher :? Red one looks like a spinnaker.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:15 am
by Jeff
Nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:43 am
by Bogieman
Well alright, Biney!! She's really coming together now.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:06 pm
by Bogieman
Happy birthday, Biney!!

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am
by Biney777
Thank you Bogieman!

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:21 pm
by Jeff
Biney, sorry for being late, Happy Birthday!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:54 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Jeff!

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:00 pm
by Biney777
topwater wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 am Nice looking set of sails are they Mylar :?: What did you get for head sails a code O and a screecher :? Red one looks like a spinnaker.
Hey Topwater. Sorry for the slow response, I was not ignoring your question. I don't actually know. I can't find my original order form so I had to reach out to the sail maker for your answer. Here is a close up of the sail itself tho to hold you over. :wink: Oh, and yes the red one is the spinnaker.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:31 am
by Bogieman
Wow! That's a neat looking sail. It looks fast!

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:00 am
by Biney777
topwater wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 am Nice looking set of sails are they Mylar :?: What did you get for head sails a code O and a screecher :? Red one looks like a spinnaker.
Hey Topwater, I heard back from the sailmaker and now I know something about my own boat that I did not know before. Thanks for the question!

The sails are made from Contender Sailcloth's ZZP06 Black Polyester Racing Laminate.

The Red Spinnaker is made from Challenge Sailcloth's Fibermax Spinnaker Nylon .75oz.

Re: Oars for the AR15

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:23 am
by Biney777
I spent all morning today vacumming up Sawdust and all afternoon making more!

I ripped the salvage douglas fir 12' 2x12 into square strips today. It took some doing to make space in my basement for the 24' open area I needed. And the first few cuts were a bear. It was one big chunk of straight grained clear wood tho. A forklift driver did me a huge favor!

Re: Cradle for the AR15

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 am
by Biney777
I slapped together a cradle/stand for the AR15 today. I needed to make it more mobile and I was really tired of running my knees into the ends of the sawhorses I have been using. I still need to get some casters/wheels for it from HF tomorrow morning tho. Wasn't planning on casters but I might as well do it right before I put the boat on it. I just used the dimensions from the frame specs.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:12 am
by Bogieman
Man you've been busy! The shop, boat and rub rail pieces look great!

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:03 am
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie!

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:16 am
by Biney777
I think I have the retractable bowsprit figured out! Well not so much figured out as, I finally found somebody willing to talk slow enough for me to understand. A great big shout out and Thank You to the guys over at Dwyer Mast and Rigging!!!

It was a busy weekend, but I managed to get a couple coats of epoxy fairing material on the transom.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 am
by Bogieman
That's some good progress! The boat is looking great too.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am
by Jeff
Nice progress Binny!!! Really looking good!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:28 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Jeff!

Just one night with the longboard on the easiest surface of the entire boat to fair and my shoulders hurt! I am going to HF on my way home and pick up a straight line air sander to see how well those work!

I used epoxy with micro balloons and silica thickener for the first couple fill coats. I may try just one coat of the epoxy cause it was kind of a bear to get the second coat levelled out. Or maybe just use it to fill low spots? I basically skim coated the entire transom twice then sanded. Most of the second coat was unneeded it had just made the high spots higher. It did fill the lows but took a lot of work to get it sanded to where that mattered.

With the sailing season here I am definitely going for an "ok" finish. I have all next winter to polish and paint. I am not going to be building another boat for at least one winter! I swear!!! :D

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am
by Biney777
I had my first official epoxy fail! Thankfully it was a very small batch that would not cure/harden. I was able to remove the 2 pieces and scrape off the resin. I wiped the area clean with acetone and after it dried put a coat of straight epoxy on top to seal the wood again. I am not sure if I maybe did 2 parts hardener to 1 part resin or maybe just 3 parts resin. Doesn't matter I tried heating it up (a lot) and had given it 3 days. It was still soft and sticky. :oops:

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am
by Bogieman
Yikes! Hate when that happens. I did it once on each of the previous 2 boats I built. It's a PITB cleaning it up.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 am
by pee wee
Biney777 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am I am not sure if I maybe did 2 parts hardener to 1 part resin or maybe just 3 parts resin.
Best idea I've seen came from Cracker Larry (like a lot of great boat building practices): he estimated the amount of epoxy he was going to need and measured all his resin and hardener into Solo cups before getting started. He bought two colors of cups, red and blue, the red = resin and the blue would be the hardener. The nice thing about that practice is you are measuring and designating the two parts to be used before you have any time pressure, so you're much less likely to goof up. Once you're in the job, all you have to do is mix a red and a blue together, and if you have a batch that doesn't set up right it's more likely that it didn't get mixed well instead of using double resin.

This practice is especially useful when you're laying big areas of glass and will need several batches one after the other, but the red/resin blue/hardener step is helpful for smaller quantities, too.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:34 am
by jacquesmm
Yes, the colored cup is a great tip. I have, like many, made mixing mistakes: the phone rings while you mix and you pour hardener two times etc.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 am
by Jaysen
Do not underestimate the value of visual separators and physical separators. Knowing the unique level of dumba$$ I bring to the table, CL recommended that I use colors AND keep them separate side of the table. Then just make sure the same number on each side. You can do it just by counting he colors but it became a mechanics thing too... pour left, pour right, stir. Using the CL method I managed to escape mixing errors.

Knock on my head (wood) for next build...

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:35 am
by Biney777
Thanks Guys for the tips and suggestions! I am really glad it was only about 3 tablespoons worth. Which was probably a partial cause of the problem, it doesn't take much of an error at that size to miss the 10% window. :oops: It is all cleaned up and reglued now tho.

I got the two transom access hatch holes marked and cut out tonight. Sealed the edges with epoxy. Tabbed in a cover for the bowsprit tube in the bow.

Question. Should everything be thru bolted? Like blocks and pulley's or are stainless steel wood screws into plywood with a plywood backer going to be plenty strong enough?

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 am
by Biney777
I got some sanding done tonight on the front compartment. Now that the bow deck is going to be open I needed to clean it up some. Fyi, the Festool 150 6" sander is a beast! Seriously the first sander that I have used that scares me!

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:24 am
by Fuzz
Fesstools are spendy but it is sure nice to sand and have little or no dust. And when you have to work indoors the no dust thing is a biggie. I bought the smaller, $200, 125 also and find it is much easier to use in a lot of different spots.
Your boat is looking good. It is always good to be able to see the results of your labours.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am
by Bogieman
Very nice, Chris!

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:45 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Fuzz,
I started with the Festool 125 too, after going thru 3+ "affordable" 5" ro's. The 125 is my goto sander for most everything, even the bow area is too small for the 150. I was using the 150 on some initial hull smoothing yesterday. Just trying to knock down the fg tape edges before I start fairing.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am Very nice, Chris!
Thanks, Bogie!

It was your "fault" I was in the basement sanding last night. The pics of your progress and that you are just ahead of me on the build progression is a huge motivator!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 am
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Bogieman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am Very nice, Chris!
Thanks, Bogie!

It was your "fault" I was in the basement sanding last night. The pics of your progress and that you are just ahead of me on the build progression is a huge motivator!
Yes, I can be a bad influence :D

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm
by Biney777
Bogie, btw I do appreciate your "bad" influence on me! :D

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 pm
by Biney777
I have been making progress on several fronts with the build. Although the fairing/smoothing of the bow has been a motivational killer. When my plan was for it to be a closed bow I had just knocked down any sharp/jagged edges and called it good. So having to go back and sand off primer etc. then fair up the uglies has been a drag.
Covering the bowsprit launch tube.
Covering the bowsprit launch tube.
First coat of fairing second effort on bow cmpartment.
First coat of fairing second effort on bow cmpartment.
I also have added a piece of oak to the bow "stem???" So that the forestay chainplate and bow eye have something real solid to grab onto. Probably overbuild but it also made fairing that front inside angle a lot easier. Too bad I spent so much time trying to get it right before I put the piece of oak in there. :oops:
Solid oak stem glued in with wood flour.
Solid oak stem glued in with wood flour.
I did a mock up of the bow deck because I was struggling to visualize it with the off center lightening hole in frame A and the cover over the bowsprit launch tube.
Open bow mock up.
Open bow mock up.
I think it should give plenty of room for the spinnaker to launch/recover, and also leave enough area around the edge to step or kneel if/when necessary. I think I am going to install maybe a 1/2" tall × 1" wide bumper around the bow area. My plan is to rig it so that I never have to go up on that area while moving but "never" rarely comes true.

Because my back had given up on sanding in the bow I did glue up the bowsprit finally yesterday. I am just using 9 strips of clear straight grained Douglas Fir that I found in the salvage pile at HD. These strips had damage at 9' 4" I primed all the strips with straight epoxy then used Milled Glass fiber and epoxy for the glue up. It did not go smoothly. I am glad I did this solid piece glue up as a practice run before I try to do a hollow glue up for the oars that I got the Douglas fir for originally. Once I had everything as gooped up as I could get. Including me... I wrapped it in shrink wrap and then laid it on some 2x2 I had leveled out on the floor. Sorry no pics of the middle steps as I am not kidding I had epoxy on everything. Not my skin but went thru several pairs of gloves and all the trowels etc. were just coated.
9 strips w/ grain turned 90° from each other.
9 strips w/ grain turned 90° from each other.
There is a shrink wrapped straight bow sprit under that 2x6 I swear!
There is a shrink wrapped straight bow sprit under that 2x6 I swear!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 pm
by OrangeQuest
You know it was a rough glue up when you see a random bar clamp, on the floor, and a chip brush with the handle broken off next to it! 8O

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 pm
by Bogieman
Looks really good. I like the bow mock up. And the idea of adding that oak piece in the bow was a good one.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:15 pm
by Biney777
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 pm You know it was a rough glue up when you see a random bar clamp, on the floor, and a chip brush with the handle broken off next to it! 8O

Lol, and that freakin chip brush broke on the first stroke! Ya gotta hate it when that happens...

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:15 pm
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 pm Looks really good. I like the bow mock up. And the idea of adding that oak piece in the bow was a good one.
Thanks Bogie!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 pm
by Biney777
Ok, so I lied... the glued up bowsprit was not perfectly straight. :oops: in all my stumbling around trying to get epoxy on the strips I tripped over the 2x's i had leveled out a bunch of times and must not have put one back exactly right. I made the blank oversized so a bit of creative table saw work and I have it trued up. (I hope anyway.)
Shrink wrapped bowsprit blank.
Shrink wrapped bowsprit blank.
I also got the end started to the correct diameter
As far as the hole saw will get me.
As far as the hole saw will get me.
Here is a pic of the tool idea I came up with when making the mast for my first build. Fingers crossed it works as well on this bowsprit as it did on the mast.
Bottomless hole saw!
Bottomless hole saw!
Getting the bowsprit to fit into a drill chuck is going to be the tough part. :wink:

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:39 am
by Jeff
Nice work Biney!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 pm
by Fuzz
That is a really slick trick for cutting the bow spirit. Amazes me the things guys here can come up with when they need to.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:49 pm
by Bogieman
Yes, very nice!

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 am
by Biney777
Thanks, Jeff, Fuzz, and Bogie!

It is working really good. I think I darn near fried a Milwaukee cordless drill tonight tho. And then I pushed a corded Milwaukee drill to the edge too! Gotta bring my 1/2" single speed drill home tomorrow!
Half way on the first pass! After using my 13" planer to get as close as I dared.
Half way on the first pass! After using my 13" planer to get as close as I dared.
Final size, gonna need a bigger drill.
Final size, gonna need a bigger drill.
HF 3" sanding disc is working so far!
HF 3" sanding disc is working so far!

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:52 am
by Bogieman
Wow! That is a work of art. Very nice, Chris.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:57 am
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie!

I went to HF looking to buy a 2" lathe chuck to turn the bowsprit. It is online only and the reviews were poor with shipping being slow. So I grabbed a 4$ disc holder. The disc holder is working great. Takes a moment to get it centered well but compared to the contraption that I used to turn the mast it is great!.

That being said I found myself this morning looking on the Rockler site and thinking about buying the 65$ 2" lathe chuck that may or may not work and will for sure require some engineering to use in a drill chuck. I definitely should have adult supervision.

Chris, "who is not going to Rockler today."

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:38 am
by terrulian
This is my favorite kind of posting on our great forum. One of our previous builders--I'll have to look for it--made a lathe by attaching a hand drill to his mast and then strapping the drill to some plywood on the floor. He supported the length using dolly wheels and tooled it just like you would on a normal lathe. It came out great.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:01 pm
by Biney777
Thank you Tony.

That is basically how I made the sprit on my first build. My home made 12' lathe worked ok, but mine was REALLY dangerous. I had hole drilled a couple chunks of 2x4 to support the length. I hadn't been able to engineer any type of wheel system to support the middle. I figured if things went bad the 2x4's would keep the sprit from killing me at least. And then from those support 2x4's got the idea for the bottomless hole saw!

I am not saying this method is safe, but compared to wrapping a piece of sandpaper around a spinning 12' long piece of wood.... The problem with this technique is that it doesn't true up the wood like a proper lathe would. I am making the bowsprit a touch undersized because of that. And I am planning on wrapping it in the fiberglass sock that bbc sells for added strength.

I ordered plans for long hollow sculling oars. I really hope this works for them as well. And I have gotten soooo spoiled by Amazon. I ordered the plans over the weekend (not from Amazon) and they haven't even been shipped yet!!!

Chris "who is not patiently waiting for oar plans." and "who stole this way of signing his posts from "Dougster"". :D

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:35 pm
by terrulian
Yep. I remember when Bezos started his weird online book sales site and everyone wondered how it would work.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 am
by Biney777
I know for me i would say it is working "Well!" My oar plans have still not been shipped. :( And now that we have an Amazin distribution center in Colorado (at least I think we do) there is a LOT of stuff that they will deliver the same day you order it.

I requested the books Fallguy mentioned in his blog."survive the savage sea" and "The last voyage of the Lucette." Hopefully I will get them before the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Chris

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:58 pm
by Biney777
Still no books or oar plans either! :-(

The shrink wrap worked really well. I did not perforate it like I have seen others do. I had several reasons for not.
1. The fiberglass sock was very heavy maybe 12oz???
2. I had not pre-applied any epoxy to the wood first
3. I only put enough on to wet out the fiberglass
4. I didn't want to have to go back and fill the weave later

I did have to put a light coat of epoxy on after a quick rough sanding to fill out the weave. So I think I made the right call by not perforating the wrap.

I then sanded it about 90% smooth.

I then used TotalBoat topside primer which ia a high fill primer.

And right there is when things went awry!!!

I put the primer on Saturday and as of this morning 4 days later I can still dent it with my fingernail. It is supposed to be sandable in an hour... I have been working on removing the primer as much as my patience allows since Sunday. At this point I have about 90%+ of the primer removed. I have spoken with Tech support at Jamestown distributors a couple times. The current theory is that I put it on wayyyy to thick and that if I am patient it will dry out eventually. I don't know that I buy that theory completely as most of the primer has been removed. It did seem a bit harder last night tho. So my goal is to wait till the weekend before I take extreme measures...

On a good note, I have decided to put a very basic electrical system in the boat now while wire runs are simple and easy. Just enough for bow and stern and a masthead light. With an easily removable battery for when I am trying to go fast! During the day. :D

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 pm
by terrulian
Mast looks great.
Very aggravating about the paint!

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm
by Netpackrat
Sounds like another one part alkyd primer/enamel that doesn't play well with fresh epoxy. What you describe sounds exactly like what happened with the Interlux one part primer I used last year. I had to remove all of it, and start over with an epoxy primer as my base layer.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 am
by Biney777
Netpackrat wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm Sounds like another one part alkyd primer/enamel that doesn't play well with fresh epoxy. What you describe sounds exactly like what happened with the Interlux one part primer I used last year. I had to remove all of it, and start over with an epoxy primer as my base layer.
Thanks Netpackrat. That is what I was thinking too. The primer is still soft today, I can dent it with my fingernail. I have the bowsprit sitting in the sun now. With visions of sanding/scraping the rest of it off this weekend. Or tonight depending on my patience. Fingers crossed that the sun does the trick today!

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 am
by Biney777
Thanks Tony.
I am really glad I put a neat coat of epoxy on before the primer. That will have saved me a ton of headache getting the primer removed. I should be able to sand "most" of it off, and only have to clean a few spots with xylene or whatever product I can find that will remove the primer. Xylene is nasty stuff and I hope I can find something else that will work.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:18 pm
by Netpackrat
I used a citrus based stripper that didn't seem to hurt the underlying epoxy. Got the rest with Interlux's "fiberglass wash" solvent that was recommended for prep with their paints.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:58 am
by Bogieman
There is some real craftsmanship going on in your build. Very impressive!

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:28 pm
by OrangeQuest
Bogieman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:58 am There is some real craftsmanship going on in your build. Very impressive!
I agree with Bogie! Very impressive indeed.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie and OrangeQuest. Most of the time between my inability to understand the plans and my lack of rigging knowledge I feel like a total hack, and that I should stick to putting Ikea furniture together!

I gave the TotalBoat topside primer a week to cure and it was not changing at all. Once again my fault for trying to save money. It does not say anywhere on the product that you can NOT use it over epoxy. BUTTT it also does not say that you can either. Surprise surprise they do have a primer that says it will work over epoxy it is just a lot more expensive and is not a high build primer.

Thanks to Netpackrat I went to HD and got their citrus based gel stripper. I smeared it on heavily Friday night and then wrapped the bowsprit and let it soak in overnight. Saturday morning with a bit of elbow grease and persistance I was able to remove 99.9% of the failed primer. I then scrubbed it with denatured alcohol and set it out in the sun to dry. I have two coats of "epoxy" two part primer on the bowsprit now and am ready to sand it smooth and paint it.

Couple things of note. 1. The HD paint guy said the product would not work for what I was doing... Thanks again Netpackrat! It worked great!
2. The two part primer goes a longggg way. I had to mix enough to know my ratio's were good. I did not want to strip the bowsprit again!!! I ended up with 2 costs of primer on my transom and every other part of the boat that had been faired at least halfway good. At over $100 a gallon I was not going to let it cure in the cup!

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 pm
by Netpackrat
Right on; glad it worked out for you!

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:16 pm
by OrangeQuest
That is really a nice looking piece of wood there.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 pm
by Biney777
Look Ma! I made a bowsprit!
Look Ma! I made a bowsprit!

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:31 am
by Bogieman
Nice! And you made good use of the signs too.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:11 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie!

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 am
by Biney777
Here is a pic of Last Winter's Project!

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:39 am
by Jeff
Beautiful work!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:34 pm
by Bogieman
Wow that’s a work of art! Very nice

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:37 pm
by Biney777
Thanks Bogie, Thanks Jeff!

I did get the oars finished last Fall as well. I could not find any long enough. Hopefully these will work at least to get me away from and back to the dock when necessary.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:47 pm
by Jeff
Very nice work!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 pm
by gstanfield
Beautiful oars! I see you're not too far away, we'll have to have a Bateau builders meet next summer, Rocky Mountain version.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:39 pm
by Biney777
That sounds great! And another good reason to keep plugging away at the AR15!

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:46 pm
by gstanfield
Biney777 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:39 pm That sounds great! And another good reason to keep plugging away at the AR15!
You’re definitely getting there! I’m planning on heading down your way this summer and take a few days of sailing school. It’s something I’ve always wanted to learn and I know a lot of theory, but some hands on would be great

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:04 pm
by Biney777
Ahhh summer, I remember the days of warm weather and bright sunshine....probably cause that was Saturday!
20201026_105501.jpg
I have taken an intro to sailing course at the Victoria sailing school on Chatfield Reservoir near my house. It was pretty good. I was planning to do more this last summer. Between the sailing school being shut down in early spring and then the lake being crazy crowded all summer didn't do any sailing at all this year.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 pm
by gstanfield
That’s good to hear that you were pleased with Victoria. That’s who we are planning on using. My wife and I are thinking of doing it together as a getaway and to see if sailing is something we want to do.