MI12 S Bateau Strip planking question

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

MI12 S Bateau Strip planking question

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
My MacInnis 12 S round chine plans are still in my head and while reading the book Building Strip-Planked Boats as preparation for the actual build my next question is the following:
The bows of the MI 12 are raised by a few inches . Should I choose to overcome this with the Top-Down without Shear version of the following picture or any other possibilities ? I must say that I would like the strips in the end to be visible and therefore I tend towards the Top-Down without Shear placing of the strips or do any others look better ?

These are out of Nick Schade s excellent strip building book.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: MI12 S Bateau Strip planking question

Post by fallguy1000 »

Top down either method would be my pref.

I don't really like the idea of no sheer because the sheer doubles as a rubrail, unless I am misunderstanding.

My strip canoe rubrails take a lot of punishment.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Number one method, no cheaters. It is explained in my notes: I ask the builder to start at the sheer and explain that the sheer is coplanar, the first strip can be made from one piece, minimal twist. That is why I designed a coplanar sheer. I even give the length of that 1st strip.
You may have to "cheat " once you reach the bottom panel but that is easy and by that time, the hull is fair.
Another valid sequence is to start with the 1st strip at the sheer and another one along the keel. Progress down from the sheer until you meet the keel strip and begin to fill from there. This is shown with pictures in some of the books I recommend but it is a natural progression, you"ll see it happening as you plank from the sheer but that keel strip gives you a nicer transition.

I show three types of strip planking: foam,cedar and plywood. For each, I give different scantlings. In each case, the final material is a composite with a core. That is different from some methods described by Nick Shade.
Please see the 1st page of the notes. I write that there may be conflicts between methods showed in the books I recommend and state that the builder must follow my recommendations. Most traditional strip planked boats rely on wooden framing, not my design.
The MI12S is an ideal design for a 1st time strip plank hull. Since the whole skin is fiberglassed with epoxy, a beginner can make mistakes but his corrections will not be visible or weak.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Fallguy posted while I was typing and he makes a good point. There is a rubrail but the sheer takes a lot of abuse on many boats. If you plank with cedar, you can make that first strip from a harder wood. It will be more difficult to bend but as I wrote, there is no (or almost none) compounding in that curve.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Thank you Jacques and Fallguy. I did not know that there will be hardly any twist at the first strip from sheer to bow. I will be using plywood strips and Jacques suggestion of number one. It seems that I am thinking too far ahead on my build before I even purchased the plan.
Thanks anyway.
Karl

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

No. You are wise. Strip planking requires a plan.

On my first boat, a Gilpatrick Laker canoe, I was unable to strip to the keel and had to modify the layout. I was puzzled for about two weeks until I recalled another book talking about a football shaped bottom and how to plank it. I ran out to the library and reread that section and literally ran to the shop to continue the stripping.

Basically, I had to cheat. I had shortened the boat 3" and thinned the strips 1/16" and nothing would work.

You are so fortunate to have Mertens answering. The man is truly passionate about this stuff.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I am still pondering over building the MI12 panel or S and while I looked at the study plans the umptieth time I noticed that the MI12_building_notes_excerpts.pdf and the MI12 assembling tutorial pdf are not available any more if I click on their links.
Question arises :
If I order the digital plans will I get both these .pdf notes and does the digital download of either MI12 or MI12 S contain metric and US measurements ?
Greetings Karl