FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by BB Sig »

The plans should specify. If in doubt, do both sides. :D

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

my gf16 specified fg on both sides of the seam. Had to have my boys help flip so it didn't crack. Others built a frame for the flip so the seam doesn't break open. Don't forget to make sure you have thickened epoxy in the middle of the seam between the splices. I forgot that and when I flip to do the interior I'll have to grind down, fill and then retape.

Edit, unless you have the puzzle joint kit. I think that's something different where you just glue them together with thickened epoxy.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Thanks Eric. It’s not a kit. I’ll look back through the plans. In case I don’t find it do you use cloth or tape?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Biaxial tape if you have it.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

GuyP wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm Thanks Eric. It’s not a kit. I’ll look back through the plans. In case I don’t find it do you use cloth or tape?
12oz biax tape 6" wide.

http://bateau2.com/howto/long_panel.php

I'm fairly certain that JM doesn't spec out butt blocks as standard anymore. They may still be called out on older designs or as some type of extra reinforcement.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Double checked plan how tos, building notes and plans themselves. I did see to use tape not cloth. I’m not considering butt blocks. Just the tape method. Inside and out? Number of layers?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

One layer each side.

We are talking about making long hull panels from 8' sheets of ply, right? :doh:

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Barry that’s right - 8’ sheets.

Thanks, I’ll do one later tape each side.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Make sure you get some help. It's easy to cause damage by yourself. :help:

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Not to make it more complicated :help: but some folks here recessed where the glass went with a power planer. I didn't and I don't think it makes a huge difference in fairing if you get the splice right and feather the edges of the tape. It was taking off like 1/64" if I recall correctly and JM said the joint would still be as strong as needed.
Just an option.

Definitely get help on turning the floppy panels over. I tried by myself and then called for the boys to help. Didn't want to fold the panel or crack it after all that work. Once the other slice was on it was still floppy but it wasn't something I was worried about cracking at the splice. Plenty strong.
Eric (aka, piperdown)