FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by Fuzz »

Clamp a 8 foot 2x4 across the joint to keep it from cracking when you flip it.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Will do as well as get my wife involved in these minor flips.

Thanks to all for the advice.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

How long should I wait before carefully turning over a long panel fiberglass/epoxy butt joint to glass the flip side of the joint.
75 degree high, 60 low, 70 at mix time. Used medium speed hardener. Found the cure speed chart detailing minutes to gel and recomends 24 hours to sanding.
Attachments
22529049-98D8-4B3D-A0B2-7E192FC73727.jpeg
F3281623-7C0E-4338-AB02-412DA91AEAC7.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

GuyP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm How long should I wait before carefully turning over a long panel fiberglass/epoxy butt joint to glass the flip side of the joint.
75 degree high, 60 low, 70 at mix time. Used medium speed hardener. Found the cure speed chart detailing minutes to gel and recomends 24 hours to sanding.
I'd go by how hard the epoxy has set up- if you can barely make a dent in it with your fingernail, or not at all, be careful and proceed.
Hank

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

pee wee wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am
GuyP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm How long should I wait before carefully turning over a long panel fiberglass/epoxy butt joint to glass the flip side of the joint.
I'd go by how hard the epoxy has set up- if you can barely make a dent in it with your fingernail, or not at all, be careful and proceed.
Yep, same here. Usually, when it's during summer temps, I was able to flip the next day.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Thanks fellas. Lyn and I got it flipped and side two is curing. Cutting out its mirror image currently.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Next week I’ll be stitching the panels around the molds and transom.

Questions

Should I temporarily screw the panels to the transom until putty has been applied and set?

If the transom is not lining up exactly to the panels should I detach the temporary screws holding it to the motorwell sides as I screw it to the panels?

I think I could adjust the frames holding the stringers and motorwell but believe his way is easier and should result in good alignment as long as port/starboard panels are mirror images.

Thanks in advance.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Based on what I did and what others have done on their builds attach it loosely with a screw to the transom and work forward to the bow.
I used one screw in the top of the side panel to the transom and then used some stitches moving to the bow on each side. Fiddled with it for a bit until I was satisfied both sides were fair and everything lined up.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

A break from boat building. My largest, released!
Attachments
BDEB2F35-5C28-4306-AA47-738E8997A6E8.jpeg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Nice cat! 8)