Cheap Canoe Kit

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
wseibert
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Cheap Canoe Kit

Post by wseibert »

In the free canoe plans, it mentions that you sell a kit that "contains all of the epoxy and fiberglass needed to build the boat, not the plywood. The kit comes with a 55 page book describing step by step how to use epoxy and fiberglass. The kit includes the dispensing pumps, gloves, and mixing cups, needed to work cleanly Get the kit from www.boatbuildercentral.com"

I can't find this kit anywhere using the search functionality. Would you please link it? I think I am going to finally jump and build a boat. It's not the boat I want by any means, but I've never worked with resin and epoxy and I want to start with something small.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheap Canoe Kit

Post by jacquesmm »

The kit may have disappeared when moving to the new web site. I don't remember a 55 pages manual.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wseibert, not sure what that reference was as we have not had a kit with those items in three years. Again, not familiar with a 55 page manual either but Jacques did have a Stitch & Glue Boat Building Guide. Let me know if you want it and send me your email and I will email it to you. Happy to put together a kit, just let me know what you want to build!! Jeff

wseibert
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wseibert »

It is from an old bookmark that I had saved.

It is here: http://bateau2.com/free/ccanoeUS.PDF
What I referenced is on page 18.

I am going to build it. I am trying to find a local source for BS1088 Okoume.
I am new enough that I had to google how to pronounce that so I could tell them what I needed :help:

I am having absolutely no luck in finding it in where I live.
So, I believe I am going to have to bite the bullet and order 2 sheets of 1/4" Okoume and have it shipped.

Yes, if you could please put together a kit based on the referenced plans, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Last edited by wseibert on Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

With the information in that PDF you linked, the tutorials at https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/tutorials-2/ and the forum here, I think you have all the tools you need to build a very nice first canoe.

It is a fun, challenging, and rewarding experience. Welcome to the fun :)

wseibert
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wseibert »

Actually, I don't really need a kit made up, if you could just tell me what type of fiberglass I need for it, I can order it all. I'm just not sure what fiberglass type to get. It calls for: Fiberglass Tape at 4" wide, 9oz, 50 yards. Is that woven or biaxle? Woven is the only one sold in 9oz, but my choice is 2" or 6" wide.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Can you get biaxial tape in 6oz?
I haven't used woven tape before, but I can imagine it is harder to work around rounded corners. (the biax conforms to compound curves very nicely)

My HC14 only required 6oz tapes, so perhaps you could use that on the cheap canoe as well.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Reach out to a local, high end, cabinet maker as they source all kinds of ply, including Okume. Then check the price from ordering here. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Also, be sure you get epoxy compatible fiberglass - some has a binder that isn’t compatible with epoxy. I think this is more of an issue with mat but go to be sure.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

wseibert
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wseibert »

I plan on ordering everything from here. It's just they don't carry what the plans specify. Besides, I'm not really sure if it's supposed to be woven or biaxe. Honestly, I just need to know what to get instead :)
Alternatively if they want to put together an epoxy fiberglass kit I'll just buy that too. I'm happy either buying a kit or buying it individually. I just need to know which fiberglass to get as 9oz, 4inch wide doesn't appear on the site.
4 inch wide is available in biax but not in 9oz weight.
9oz weight is available in woven but only in 2 or 6inch width.

The plans just say, "Fiberglass Tape. 9oz. 4" width. 50 yrds"

Which means I'm not exactly sure which to purchase.

I think I may see the confusion.... I do not intend to go running off somewhere to buy it locally. Plywood being the exception, because the shipping was more than the cost of the 2 sheets of plywood. It would be cheaper to drive and pick it up. I've been a member of this forum for a long time and have been studying a lot of the builds here. I've got three sets of purchased plans from Bateau. I'm going to purchase everything here. Everything I've learned so far is because of these guys and the amazing builders here. I'm just not confident enough to tackle what I want to build yet which is why I'm jumping in with the free canoe plans (which is also a bateau design).

I just need a bit of guidance as to WHAT to buy :)
I know EXACTLY where I'm buying it.