Radon Transom Replacement

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Radon Transom Replacement

Post by bigtalljv »

Look what I got! Better late than never I guess.
image.jpg
I like it. I’ve been having fun making an excel sheet… I see that most things that were original on my boat are built to that schedule plus all the additions for workboats and such. The additional work that was done, and I removed, was just stupid heavy.

I’m still confused about my stringers. Gerr just says “10”. I’m confused as most boats I see, like mine usually have 4?

Also he says the engine bed should be “roughly” centered between the keel and the chine. I set mine before (I had any idea what I was doing) so I’m off about 2” narrow on each one (4” total), 12%. 26.5” center to center instead of 30”. Think that qualifies as “roughly”?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Gerr's 10 stringer design is for solid frp, short stringers and his assumptions allow subtraction for chines, etc.

So, the stringer assumptions are all wrong for a typical boat.

And yes, you are meeting 'roughly'.

Can't put anything on Gerr's stringer calcs...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Thanks!

So my next “my brain is just spinning in circles” thought; though I probably don’t need it, but I was going to add it anyway, it turns out I can’t fit a second stringer between my big stringer and the chine. I could but then I’d have no room for fuel tanks, the tanks would have to sit on that stringer and it would reduce the height and capacity of the tanks significantly. The largest unsupported bottom section where that stringer would have gone and where
the fuel tank will be is 2.5’ x 6’. Do I look for some way to hack more support in there? I have an inch to play with, I could core that section? Would I run my mythical stringer from the transom to the back of the fuel tank and then pic it up in front of that compartment?
:doh:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, the current pic shows two large chine logs and 4 stringers. Needs to be done like that for a large boat.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

What’s a chine log?

Current picture.
01C4F4DE-EC88-4751-AC6B-0ACD18A0B866.jpeg

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Ah, I googled it. What you see is the molded hull but could be there to do that. I’m starting to see the most basic whys of how boats are designed.

So the issue I have is that the pros rebuilding and converting them to outboards only use the two big center stringers….

And……I consulted the fancy new book and my hull stringers only need to be 3.1”x1.55” with 0.17” of laminate.

I think I will do that. It reduces my fuel capacity by about 30 gallons, 180 to 150 roughly, I can live with that for proper structure
Last edited by bigtalljv on Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, the middle stringers are lower than the chine logs...where does the sole end up? Something doesn't jive in my pea brain.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can't use the book if you don't meet the stringer quantity...so the book is nonsense on stringers unless you learned something different than my interpretation.

Don't you want chine log tops to be the sole.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Sole sits on top the chine logs and some people do supports placed on top of the stringers to support the sole. Some have some frames or beams to support the sole.
696F5FD9-C521-4BFB-9D2F-82487E56DCAF.jpeg

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Excellent point about stringer quantity and book rules. Hmm, if I do 1 I could just do 3 :-)

here’s an interesting one. This is the next evolution of my hull, it’s referred to as a triple chine hull. This is a 26x8, looks to be original guts.
0D22329C-118F-43B2-861A-5A4F1E600189.jpeg