Page 1 of 1

Lm18 madison wi

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 pm
by Cbuf
Made some progress before a work trip. When I get back I will be gluing up the seems.
Thanks cbuf.

Re: Lm18 madison wi

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 pm
by Fuzz
Nice looking work. I love it when it goes from a bunch of flat sheets of plywood to a boat looking thing :D

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Very nice. You'll be in the water before you know it

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 pm
by Cbuf
I plan on getting the outside glassed up this weekend. Here is where I'm at. I need to learn some tricks of the trade from Capt ub as his glass is neat and mine is a mess. I guess it is part of the learning process. I'm planning for a better job on the inside, and dealing with hours of fairing on the outside.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 pm
by fallguy1000
Peel ply
Masking tapes lifted on the drip side.

Pull tapes after gel time plus a bit.
Acetone wipe drips at the end.

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:08 pm
by Cbuf
I finished the glass schedule on the bottom. I started fairing a small section to make sure I was doing it correctly. After the holiday weekend I'll be back at it. Based on the plan there are 2 strips on the bottom with one ply of fiberglass. I decided to fill that in with more fiber glass. It was that or a bunch of fairing to bring it level. I also made a cool flexi le sander, I'll post those pics in my next post.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 am
by Cbuf
next batch of pics.
20190708_192302.jpg

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 am
by piperdown
You've got some solid progress going on :D

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am
by Jeff
Really nice progress Cbuf!!! You are moving really fast!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:54 am
by Cbuf
Continued Fairing
Forgot to clean my tools
Sharpened the edges

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:36 am
by pee wee
Cbuf wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:54 am Continued Fairing
Forgot to clean my tools
Sharpened the edges
Nice progress! 8)

One thing about hardened epoxy, it can't take extreme heat. Thus, if you have a metal tool coated with hardened epoxy you can use a torch or heat gun and it will soften the epoxy to remove it more easily.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:02 pm
by Cbuf
About 30 minor low spots to fill for my last pass. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have primer on.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:10 pm
by Bogieman
She's looking good :D

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:37 pm
by Cbuf
Started rub rail and skeg before final fairing before primer.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:26 pm
by Cbuf
My wife and daughter were in Florida this weekend, so I made lots of progress. Sanded. Primed 2 coats, faired again, sanded. Sides ready for 2 more coats of primer and the bottom is ready for graphite. Unfortunately, I have a work trips this next week. Bummer.

Cbuf

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am
by fallguy1000
Will you beat the ice in November to launch is the question. I am guessing no?

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:37 pm
by Cbuf
Luckily, the ice doesn't start until December, but I would love to have it finished for when I go to florida over Thanksgiving. I'm prepping everything so that when I get back I can start right into the graphite epoxy bottom.

In my head I have the rest of it designed. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the color. Either a safe choice of cobalt blue or florescent lime green.

Thanks
Cbuf

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:46 pm
by Cbuf
The bottom turned out great and I'm happy so far.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:48 pm
by Cbuf
Pics of graphite bottom

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:20 am
by Cbuf
Big night last night. With the help of some buddies we did the interior in one shot. 4 guys makes it fly.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 pm
by Cbuf
Pics

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:11 am
by Cbuf
After lots of travel for work and family, I finally had a bunch of hours to spend on the boat. I managed to tack down and then radius all bulk heads. This was a major task. I borrowed a buddies laser level, man was it awesome. I have a couple older ones but this thing was awesome. It made the task pretty easy. The pictures are 8 hours of work. My process was level, tack (like your would for welding), then final gluing. Hopefully, I can get glass on it tonight. If not, it will have to wait for the weekend.

Thanks

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:24 pm
by Cbuf
Finished all the floor cleats this morning. Next is foam.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:58 pm
by Bogieman
8)

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 am
by fallguy1000
Coming along nicely!

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm
by Cbuf
Getting ready for foam. I cut the deck and gunnel long, so that I can set them after I have fully designed the console.

Next steps
Foam compartments
Install floor panels, but not main sole, or decks.
Finalize each compartment. Sand, fair, and paint front and rear hatches. I might gel coat them white but not sure.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 am
by Cbuf
Lots of small things getting figured out.
1. Gas tank figured out and ready for final install.
I have 1/4 neoprene rubber for underneath and 1/2 neoprene foam on top for expansion. I will also put 1/2 foam on sides.
Cut 3 inspection areas into the front hatch for tightening hose and check for leaks after the deck goes on. 1 near the overflow, 1 in the middle, and one on the fill side. I'm hoping not to put an inspection hatch in the top deck. I will use lexan as covers with gaskets.
2. Electrical is 98% figured out.
1 Small starting battery for the merc 40 . It is the size of a motor cycle battery and weighs 13 lbs. Its sole function is to start the motor.
1 Gel cell group 31 (more like 80 lbs) mounted in the front. This will be the house. It will run everything else including the trolling motor. Number
2awg wire will carry current to the back of the boat via case tube, and can be used to start the motor if needed.
1 65 amp ACR and Switch combiner. So once the little starting battery is charged back to 13 volts the ARC will kick in and start charging the house.
I have a much larger version of this on my big boat. It ensures that even if I kill the house battery with the trolling motor the main battery will
start motor and push enough juice to run a dead house battery.
I have also mapped out the majority of the wiring except for the console. I also found a 3 bank battery charger I had laying around that will be installed.
I found these little marine nav lights that I will post in a picture.
I have most of the terminal blocks, but am still waiting on a 60 amp fuse for the trolling motor and a 140 amp fuse as a "just in case fault switch"
from those #2 wires crossing.
3. I figured out the bucket system I talked about.
I'm a bucket guy. This boat will eventually be parked on a lift, and at the end of the day, I need to pull most things out for cleaning, and put away. So things like cast nets, anchors, coolers, garbage, fit nicely in 5 gallon buckets. So attached was my design I sketched up, and pics of the start of that build.
4. Sole Deck Drain System
I think I have spent 4-5 hours thinking and designing one single piece of wood. It is a channel of 1.25" cut into a cleat, that will catch water and direct it to the drains using cedar shims. The sole will stop 1.25 from the last frame so that any water on the deck will be trapped in this area and drain out 2 1.5" gemlux drains. Additionally, I cut one of the drains in half to separate the duckbill section from the flange. This is because I want my live well over flow to drain out the same hole.

Pic to follow

Cbuf

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:03 am
by Cbuf
Here are the pics.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 am
by Jeff
Great progress!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:41 pm
by Cbuf
Cut fittings, I will move the duck bill into a tee value so the livewell can drain out the same hole.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:36 am
by Cbuf
Dry fit all the hatch frames, and got 1 glued up. I had to go with a rectangle hatch in front vs trying to match the contour of the boat, so that the trolling motor would not interfere with the hatch.
Cbuf

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 am
by Jeff
Nice hatch!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 pm
by Cbuf
Another big night. 4 hours worth of work.
1. Cut the final rear deck
2. Installed the final clothing for the rear hatch
3. Used white epoxy coloring for the frames to play with pigments
4. Both hatches are build and ready for instal.
5. Used total boat bilge paint on the front hatch
Hopefully by the end of the weekend I complete inside of the rear hatch so I can get the rear deck on.

Next steps
1. Install drain tube
2. Install livewell pump
3. Fair the rear hatch
4. Install bilge
5 final install of gas tank
6. Front hatch electrical.

It seems to never end but feel good. I have 1 month before ice up and freezing temp.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:26 pm
by Cbuf
Time to pick up the pace. Put in 8 hours today.
Bilge painted, main wiring leads are in, sole drains are roughed in, automatic charging relay is in, bilge and livewell pumps wired. So much done today.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:28 pm
by Cbuf
More pics

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:55 pm
by Fuzz
That is a lot of very nice looking work you have been doing!
What is all that white stuff on the ground :doh: :help:

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:10 am
by Cbuf
That white fluffy stuff is what I’m trying to beat. I have about 20-30 days before ice up. I need to float the boat with the motor to get a good reading on the water line, so I can finish the boat. We have had a couple good snows about 6-7 inches. I need to get the boat out of the garage or some how make room for the snowblower.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:40 am
by Jaysen
How is it that Wisconsin has to explain snow to Alaska? I bet Narfi knows what that crap is.

I had to get out my parka yesterday. It was 54. People here die at temps that low.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:26 am
by fallguy1000
Lakes are making ice here in Minnesota-twin city area.

We might get a warming spell, but been cold.

Sure wish I could fly south for winter.

Once the whitefish spawned; I'd eat then take wing.

Boat looks good.

Not sure why you left part of the gray wire chase open. Other than that, work looks great, and you probably need access there, what do I know.

Don't understand the waterline need.

Use the design waterline and paint 3" above it. Done.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:30 am
by Cbuf
Well the lake froze. I wanted to drop it in the water before I drill the deck scupper drains to understand exactly how high to put them. I spent 6 hours between getting and rebuilding the trailer. The trailer is perfect. Bought it for 300 then did below.
New tires and trims from the clearance center of cabelas.
New bearings
New bunks 12'
New wiring.
New winch.

I will try to build the livewell corners today.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:03 pm
by cape man
Your deck will define the scuppers, not the water line. If you built it light, it should self drain with a reasonable load and when empty. However, when over built, and over loaded (like my OD18), I pull the plugs while on plane to drain the deck, and count on the bilge when anchored or docked.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:40 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Cbuf wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:30 am Well the lake froze. I wanted to drop it in the water before I drill the deck scupper drains to understand exactly how high to put them. I spent 6 hours between getting and rebuilding the trailer. The trailer is perfect. Bought it for 300 then did below.
New tires and trims from the clearance center of cabelas.
New bearings
New bunks 12'
New wiring.
New winch.

I will try to build the livewell corners today.
Trailer looks great. I raised my sole 1 inch from the design and with the 230# 40hp yamaha and 25# backplate on the transom I'm glad I did. Those duckbills really work though. If you want me till measure anything on mine or take any pictures that might help let me know.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 am
by Jeff
Nice trailer!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 pm
by Cbuf
Hatch build.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 pm
by Cbuf
The glass corner came out well but it think they need one more lay up.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:43 am
by Jeff
Cbuf, looks good and I agree you need at least one more lay up!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:36 pm
by Cbuf
Holidays and work travel are eating into my build time. I managed to get the console framed, so far I like it but I have a million little details to work out.
Luckily I was done in Florida for Thanksgiving and managed to fish a couple days. Red fish were everywhere, also caught a bunch of medium snook. We went out 40 miles and caught a couple.keeper grouper, and snapper. The pic is my son and father in law holding up a baby.

Cbuf

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:47 pm
by Cbuf
Holidays and work travel are eating into my build time. I managed to get the console framed, so far I like it but I have a million little details to work out.
Luckily I was done in Florida for Thanksgiving and managed to fish a couple days. Red fish were everywhere, also caught a bunch of medium snook. We went out 40 miles and caught a couple.keeper grouper, and snapper. The pic is my son and father in law holding up a baby.

Cbuf

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:41 am
by cape man
I sent you an email...

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 am
by Eric1
Time well spent! Time for a grouper sandwich!! :D

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:48 am
by Jeff
Nice CBUF!! Glad you enjoyed Florida!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 am
by Cbuf
Capeman I didn't receive an email, but I assume after rereading my post it made it sound like we kept the Goliath grouper. We didnt, we safely released the baby back into the water. Most of the big ones of those we catch we don't bother taking out of the water, but since we was only like 60 lbs we picked him up took pictures and released him unharmed. A couple keeper grouper on the other hand were grouper sandwiches.

thanks cbuf.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 am
by Cbuf
Cape man I found your email in my spam. I delete the baby picture.
Here are the rules according to the web.
What to do when you’ve caught a goliath grouper?
Harvest and possession has been prohibited in both state and federal waters off Florida since 1990.

Must be immediately returned to the water free, alive and unharmed.
Photographs can be taken but only during the active act of release. Photographs or any other activities such as measuring the fish should not delay release in any way.
Large goliath groupers should be left in the water during release. The skeletal structure of large goliath grouper cannot adequately support their weight out of the water without some type of damage. If a large goliath is brought on-board a vessel or out of the water, it is likely to sustain some form of internal injury and therefore be considered harvested.
Removing smaller goliath groupers from the water to remove hooks is not necessarily a bad practice, but this process must be done with care, using proper fish handling techniques, and the fish must be returned to the water as expeditiously as possible.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:33 am
by cape man
Yeah...that was it. There are some real nasty people out there just looking for an issue, and a whole unit within the state that spends all day searching for web postings to make an issue out of. Better safe than sorry. The fish looked fine and I'm sure he survived the few seconds it took to hold him up and snap an awesome picture, of an awesome day, with a bunch of happy people spending big bucks fishing.

Those are some awesome red grouper!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:30 pm
by Cbuf
Tons of progress.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 pm
by Cbuf
Floor is in. Console is faired working on gunnels.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:00 am
by Eric1
That's some really nice work. The boat is looking great!

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 am
by Jeff
Really nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:26 pm
by Cbuf
I feel that im finally over the hump. I have a much smaller lost of problems to figure out.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 am
by fallguy1000
U got hardwater now?

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:05 pm
by Cbuf
Top is on working the outer edges before taping.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:21 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 am
by Cbuf
Much work has been done to get to the finish line. Hopefully by this time next week she is painted.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 am
by Cbuf
moe pics

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:14 am
by Cbuf
more pics I didn't realize how far behind in posting I was.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:16 am
by Cbuf
3 Coats of primer

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:26 pm
by Cbuf
The green end paint has a high opacity. That required me to paint 3 coats of white then 4 coats of green. Honestly it could probably use one more coat, but I would need to wet sand first. I figure I will do it after my first couple dings. For the top I used the system three paint. It was a totally different paint than the emc. I only painted where I needed to but that came back to but me in the ass in several spots. I had changed the tape locations for the kiwi grip and that caused me to have to repaint several areas after the non skid.

Cbuf

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm
by Cbuf
Kiwi grip taping and painting

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:29 pm
by Cbuf
Making the dash panel. I was pecan and painted it from the back

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 pm
by Cbuf
Hoping to float it today. I will post the results.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:02 pm
by Jeff
Really nice work Cbuf!! That is going to be one nice looking boat!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:54 pm
by Cbuf
floating

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 pm
by Cbuf
Finished up a bunch of stuff

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:29 am
by pee wee
Cbuf wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:29 pm I was pecan and painted it from the back.
Is that a regional expression? :lol:

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:34 am
by Dougster
Is that a Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor? I have one and love the spot lock feature. It looks nice on your beautiful build and I'm sure you'll love it.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:31 pm
by Cbuf
My phones auto correct is great. I typed “it was pecan ha it did it again.

Lexan, clear lexan that I painted from behind.

As for the trolling motor I got it specifically for the spot lock and the auto compass

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:17 pm
by Cbuf
Motor is on, but waiting for a prop. Going to try a 17 pitch first. I wound up letting the dealer bolt it on, but I took it home to do the rest. hopefully it is here Monday.

Remaining tasks
1. Cushions are being made for the front
2. Still trying to figure out seating for the back. I bought one of those cool mesh seats but it was 21 inch wide and I just don’t have that kind of room.
3. Final scupper hole placement and install
4 Door for center console
5. Grab rail. I have been reviewing all the carbon fiber posts and might just make it myself. I saw they had green carbon fiber that looked cool
6. Casting platform.
7. I have all my registration paper work ready to go and will send it in on Monday.

Getting closer
Cbuf

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:24 pm
by Cbuf
On water testing going well just a few things to get dialed in.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:58 pm
by Jeff
She looks great in the water!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:03 pm
by Fuzz
The boat looks great on the water!
Did you say that the faster you went the spray moved forward? That is backwards of what would be expected. I must have missed it but what HP is the engine?

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:36 pm
by Cbuf
The pick was of my trim plate on the motor being just under the water at about 30mph. I was always told that the plate should be just above the water. Planning on raising up the motor a hole and adding wedges to give negative trim. if that fails thinking of adding smart tabs.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:37 pm
by Cbuf
Finished the plumbing, but I need to more the hole down 3/4". Such a bummer. However the drain test worked awesome. When 5 gallon is entered into the hull about 2 gallons flowed out and the 2.5 gallons are pumped out. When I flooded the boat with 20 gallons is was gone in about a minute.
The reason for moving the scupper hole down was a mis- measurement on my part, I didn't include the transom angle. So dumb, I wasn't even thinking about it. I wish it was as easy as putting the plug in and redrilling, but now I have to reglass, resand, re prime, an repaint.
I also got a set of used shims and I hope to get them installed this week.

cbuf

Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:57 pm
by Cbuf
Front seats are in.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am
by Jeff
Very nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:52 am
by fallguy1000
Curious to see what the shims do for you.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 pm
by Cbuf
I got the boat back with the shims and raise up one whole. That did the trick, no more porpoising. It ran great nice and smooth. I still need to work on getting the right prop the standard brp 17 x 13.5 had my rpms over the limit. I tried a 17 inch cupped x 14 prop and it has my rpm right at 5900. I want to give a 19x 13.5 standard prop a try or find an 18 pitch. The boat cruises nicely at 30 mph at about 4900 rpms. Max was about 35 with that big cupped prop.

My new problem is the stick is long and makes driving it uncomfortable. I was hoping it was comparable to the merc big triller but it isn’t even a contest.
1. The offset is only 20 degree on a narrow boat like the lm you need more like 30 degree so you don’t have to sit on the edge of the boat.
2. There is no locking pin like in the big tiller, so the stick just falls hard when the motor is trimmed up.
3. The steering friction on the etec is horrible and not adjustable.
4. The trim switch rotates with the handle, so at take off down is trim down, but at full throttle down it now trim up I’m sure I could get used to it, but it is a dumb design.

So I now I’m looking at rebuilding the console into a wheel boat. It will cost me about 1000 between controls steering and cables. Plus lot of work, however I think I will be happier in the long run. Additionally I could sell my tiller handle for a couple bucks to offset the costs.

Cbuf

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 pm
by Fuzz
I am glad you were able to get her to run right for you :D I hate to say this but if you did not run chase tubes for remote controls it will be a pain in the ass to switch over at this point. I built my dory as a tiller boat and after running it I went remote. I ended up making a side console to make it work but it will never be as clean of rigging as it could have been. Maybe run the boat this summer and then see if you still want to make the change.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:06 pm
by Cbuf
I have room to run the controls without much fuss. I was worried more about space to fit a wheel and binnacle mount controls. However I found an 11” wheel with a knob that should allow me the room needed.

Prop update. I tried a 4 blade stern lift prop and man was it great. Boat rides really well now. It has been rough so I haven’t been able to ride full wide open, but should be in the range.
STD 17x13.5 running over rpms
Cupped 17x 14 running at 5800 but tons of bow rise causing my ass to sink.
Switched to a 17 x 13.5 four blade. Ride is much much better but haven’t been able to run it full yet.

Today I geared up in my full rain suit and took advantage of the rough weather and driving rain. Purposely steered in 3.5 -4’ tight lake waves a couple times. Took 2-3 over the bow on purpose to flood the boat to check drainage with and without the scupper pump turned on. In both instances water drained out as designed. About 5 minutes for the scupper alone and under 1 minutes with the scupper pump. I would say that is a success. However a Nieghbor watching do this thought I was completely nuts. I would rather test it those conditions learning how the boats handles them, then to find out on accident later that it can’t.

Cbuf

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm
by cape man
Love it! Nothing like a real world test!

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:44 pm
by Cbuf
Finally got most the parts I need to put a wheel on my console. Starting mock ups to see where I like it.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:36 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Do you mind sharing what type of helm pump you got?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:35 pm
by fallguy1000
Which helm did you buy and rear mount or front mount?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 pm
by Cbuf
Well I looked at sea star and a couple different models. I went with a hydrodrive. That had good reviews and I like that the hoses and ram are fixed, and that the shaft moves. That is the opposite from a seastar, and it’s a couple hundred cheaper. Also since my console is only 16” wide I found a 11” spoke wheel. It fits perfect.

Cbuf

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:50 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Thanks. Worth looking in to. I’ve been getting sweaty looking at the Sea Star price points.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 am
by Jeff
Great news Cbuf!! She looks great!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:53 pm
by Cbuf
The first cut is always the hardest. This is the before wheel as a tiller boat.

Wish me luck.

Also I found a prop I like and also ordered a set of smart tabs.

Cbuf

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:02 pm
by Dougster
That first cut on your pretty build would be hard for me too. It would be a huge project for me 'cuz I struggle with the engine control/steering stuff but I've no doubt you'll be very happy with the console control when finished.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 pm
by Cbuf
My measurement were spot on, but I think I need to split the throttle and the wheel on to different planes. I don’t like that I can bump into the controls.

Thoughts?

Cbuf

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:44 am
by Cbuf
No going back now.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:59 pm
by Cbuf
Initial glueing in progress. While that is drying I wrapped up the controls conversion.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 pm
by Cbuf
I’ve been busy. Console formed primed and painted. Got the controls in the the steering bled. Now I just have to reword everything. Also put on the smart tabs while the paint was drying.

Cbuf

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:00 am
by Fuzz
That is one nice build! Looking forward to learning how it runs. I bet with that much power it flies!

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 am
by fallguy1000
What all went into the rigging tube and what did not?

Like hydraulic steering did not.

I am sort of confused by your rigging tubes. One is white and one black and the black looks like it is coming through the transom, but I have some perspective problem with the picture.

I have all the same work coming up. Wondering about your black and youe white tubes.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 am
by Cbuf
The black rigging tube contains the engine control cables, fuel line, shifter and throttle, and the simrad engine control wire. To the the steering I had to have a separate route. The steering line are fixed and only go up and down with the trim of the motor. I couldn't find a good way to exit from the main case tube. I also needed a route for my transducer cable. To solve for this I have a raised lip around my deck to get it higher in the air for comfort. I just put in a notice for the steering hoses, transducer, and the wiring for the water lights. I just had some left over white bilge hose to protect the cables. I will send more details pics next time I get a chance. I love the hydraulic steering. I'm thinking now of doing my deck boat. For those that are in the market I would check out the hydrodrive. Simple and easy. I will give my one the water opinion once I launch.

cbuf

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm
by fallguy1000
I bought a bleeder kit for hydraulic steering from some guy in the Carolinas. It is a manual kit, but cost like 25% of the power version.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 pm
by Cbuf
Still waiting on some parts. I clamshell for the gps wiring and some nmea 2000 t’s. However it is ready for a test tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:45 am
by BB Sig
Looks good! Have a fun test ride!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am
by Jeff
She looks great!! Enjoy the day out!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:49 pm
by BB Sig
How did the test go? :D

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:24 pm
by Cbuf
I didn't have time to run it much. The height of the console is perfect. it seemed to run great but the lake was crazy for the 4th, so I could get good stats. I'm planning on take it out tonight to get a good run in without the 1-3 foot waves. Then I'll report a back.

cbuf

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:47 pm
by fallguy1000
Rigging shot if you can? From standing inside the boat looking aft. P&T

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:46 am
by Cbuf
Did some testing yesterday. The steering is a huge upgrade, makes driving the boat fun. However when standing I have to be careful when running wakes and always wear the safety cord as I almost got thrown out of the boat with the bow down force of the smart tabs. The smart tabs have too much pressure, so I have to adjust the mounting hole on the plate to give less, I will try to run it again later in the week. The console is just about a perfect fit, however I don't like where I mounted the gps, so that will have to move back about 1". Now with the tabs, and a stern lift 4 blade prop I have to much lift. I might try to leave the tabs set where they are and try the 3 blade prop again. I'm determined to get it dialed in perfectly. It runs 33 at WOT 5700 and cruise nicely at 28-29 at about 4800-4900 rpm. The three blade prop got me 36 before the tabs but I was porpoising. I think the 3 blade and the tabs will be the ticket. I looked through my pics and didn't have the exact pic you were looking for so I will take that pic and post it.

Happy, but still determined to get the right mix of prop, tabs, and ride.
Cbuf

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:49 pm
by BB Sig
If these are the Bennett Smart Tabs, I thought I read that they had a fix for these. I think it was a different set of springs. :?:

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:24 pm
by Cbuf
The tabs are Smart tabs. They have +3 settings and -3 settings, if that doesn’t work you can drop shock size. Right now it is in the middle. It rained yesterday and I was to busy to play with it today. I did snap some pics looking back at the motor for fall guy.

Cbuf

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 pm
by Coach
Did you find the smart tabs work well to the keep the bow down? I am considering adding them to my SC-16 to flatten her out. Especially running alone.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:41 am
by Cbuf
The answer on the trim tabs is they are great. In my situation I was having trouble dialing it in. First I was proposing really bad at like 22 mph, and I didn’t have enough negative trim. For the trim I got a set of 5 degree shims, made all the difference to be able to tuck the motor. I start with a 3 blade no tabs for tons of proposing, then switched to a 4 blade prop. The four blades get youR stern out of the water by giving you lift. This worked but was still not convinced I had it right. I was struggling to get 30mph. Once I added the trim tabs I had to much lift then settled on the 3 blade ss with the 40 lb tabs on the second to lightest hole. I would say I now have it prefect. Rpms are in spec range. I have both down trim and up trim, meaning I can lift the front out of the water or push it down in the water depending on circumstances. Top speed is about 35.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:46 am
by fallguy1000
What is the red wiring running off the transom top?

How does the white rigging tube stay on the cylinder end? Can it move? What keeps water out? So many questions.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:46 pm
by Cbuf
That wiring is for the underwater lights and the stern light. The white tube is just an organizer. I hate when I accidentally hook a cable, so I ran my hydraulic lines and wiring through it. It is secured with a neoprene gasket under the hatch and the other end is just open. If it get water in it not a big deal.
Cbuf