horizon 204 transom rebuild...where to cut?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
amoler821
New Poster
New Poster

horizon 204 transom rebuild...where to cut?

Post by amoler821 »

hi everyone. newbie here. i have found a ton of info on this site, i'm really excited to get my project started. but my first question...where do i start? i know every boat is different, but i havent found anything similar to mine at all.
i posted a picture in the gallery,(the title is horizon 204 transom).im curious where i should begin cutting when rebuilding the transom. should i cut starting at the top about 6-12 inches from the back of the boat, across the storage box on one side, down the side of the box to the floor, across the floor and over the other side? and also, do i go all the way across the back or just where the outboard sits, as long as its solid...looking at the pic you'll see what i mean. any help would be appreciated! thanks in advance.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: horizon 204 transom rebuild...where to cut?

Post by OrangeQuest »

Welcome to the forum. If you could post some pictures and some info as to were you see damage then the repair/rebuild guys will help guide you to the correct way to start. Looks like from your picture you still need to get the motor and everything out of your way. Good luck and have fun!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

He can't post photos here. :doh:

Is it a fiberglass boat or wood composite?

Looked at your photo... I got nothing...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ok. Sorry, I didn't know that.

I see a picture but then again I carry on conversations with myself when I need expert advice. :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

How did you post that photo?

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Got it!!!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Are you pretty sure the transom is bad? If so I think I would cut it 3-6 inches ahead of those boxes on the side.
You are going to need working room and if you cut it too close you will end up cutting it twice. That will make putting it back together a real pain.
You are going to need to cut the stringers back 12-18 inches to be able to glass the new transom in the right way. This is why I say cut a bigger piece and not a small one. Think about how you will glass it back together. you do not want to be trying to glass corners. flat spots will make it much easier.

amoler821
New Poster
New Poster

Post by amoler821 »

thank you everyone and thank you for getting the pics on here. i was able to upload the pic to the gallery, but not insert in the forum..im probably doing it wrong.Am i correct that i cant load pics on here since they arent saved on another site? or am i doing it wrong?
i have more pictures of the damage on the topside and can get pics of the transom and stringers under the floor line via the access port at the back of the boat. maybe it would help?

the boat is fiberglass.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I up load my pictures to my gallery here and the copy and paste them to my threads. You need to make sure they are not too big of files. Try to upload pictures no more than half of what the site says you can. At least that works for me.
Click on the mountain with sun looking icon. You will see two imp with your curser blinking between them. On another tab open your gallery and select the picture. Right click and select copy image location.
Back to your thread and right click and paste.
I am sure there are better ways and someone can explain it better than me but this works for me.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Don't cut anything until you talk to guys here.

We'll save you lotsa headache. The exterior skin should not be cut!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495