Stich vs screw .

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Stich vs screw .

Post by Reklus »

I was browsing through the plans ... just a curious thought ... most call for screwing the boats together in some fashion or another ... is there any reason the stich and glue couldnt be used instead? Judt curious

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Stich vs screw .

Post by fallguy1000 »

Screws are typically used in plank on frame construction or to temporarily hold wood planks together while epoxy is curing.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm Screws are typically used in plank on frame construction or to temporarily hold wood planks together while epoxy is curing.
Well that makes sense ... just didnt know if the two could be substituted in certain applications...

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm Screws are typically used in plank on frame construction or to temporarily hold wood planks together while epoxy is curing.
Well that makes sense ... just didnt know if the two could be substituted in certain applications...

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

Ahhh perfect thank you...

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Reklus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:24 pm
The thing to really avoid is leaving anything that can corrode exposed to seawater or water. All my fasteners are 316. We have some aluminum beams and some aluminum backers inside and some 304 stainless angle in the build. The aluminum requires paint.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Reklus wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 am
Ahhh perfect thank you...
I forgot that I wrote that 15 years ago.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

15 years! Where did the time go? There's been a whole lot of good in there. :)

I've got I think 2 SS screws and 4 bronze screws embedded in epoxy, and 4 bronze nuts that are partly exposed (the threads). The exposed threads are still fine after having saltwater slop around them for awhile. I don't recommend it unless one is keeping a good maintenance eye on them.

Stitch and glue, has several generations of technique. If one is building a S&G that is engineered to have its main structural panels 'floating' in epoxy and glass fillet structures, to avoid stressful hard spots, then consider that a mechanical screw is going to be a hard spot. I've used other screws in building S&G, but they were used to temporarily hold things in place, and then the screws (like stitches) were removed. Didn't matter much on my CV16, but it can on high stress planing hulls. BTW, some screw assembled boats certainly do use screws :doh: , but the entire structure is engineered to work with that method. Some flex, some do not, but the intentional use is usually (hopefully) accompanied with the proper engineering for the build, and the inspection and maintenance practices that will be periodically necessary. If one is building a boat designed to be stitch and glue... stick to stitch and glue. When in doubt, ask. At Bateau, it is easy to ask. :)