Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Post by jacquesmm »

Do you mean 2 or 3 cm long between A and B? That is nothing, I am relieved. :D
Do what I suggested: scrape some of that foam off there and pour liquid epoxy putty in the gap.

You can also live with it. It is a very small weakness.

I was afraid that you had up to 1 meter of stringer lifted up, that would have been serious but this is nothing to worry and easy to fix.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 pm Do you mean 2 or 3 cm long between A and B? That is nothing, I am relieved. :D
Do what I suggested: scrape some of that foam off there and pour liquid epoxy putty in the gap.

You can also live with it. It is a very small weakness.

I was afraid that you had up to 1 meter of stringer lifted up, that would have been serious but this is nothing to worry and easy to fix.
Just an observer here but I think Roman also said he didn't glass the frames to the hull, only the stringers. Haven't seen that part addressed yet. Did I just misunderstand?
RomanVilgut wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm I glassed the stringers... thought the bulkheads get glassed when the floor is in, since only a small part is under foam. 8O

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I thought that I saw glass tape at the frames but looking again, it is just putty.
The plans show battens, very clearly. See step 2 and 3 of the Hull assembly drawing.
This is an old but good drawing. At that time, I used vertical battens along the sides. Many builders have used tape as in most of my other designs.
Battens or tape are fine but there must be something there.
Roman, if you read this, either install the battens as on the plans or add one layer of glass tape.
I know that some designers use just a putty fillet but that is for row boats or sail boats. On a planing hull, we need something sturdier.
It is not too late. As you (Roman) wrote, only a small part of the frames is under the foam.

Thanks for noticing that Joe2700.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Thank's for the reminder, i was planning to do so anyway, since I will also will have to remove more excess-foam to bring the floor to the right level. And at the bulkheads, it is only a small batch of foam, that has to be removed.

So I can glass the bulkheads to the hull and later on also to the floor. I also used some battens - mainly to ensure the bulkheads are really vertical. I hope, that battens combined with glass will give the right stability.

I really don't know, why I did not think of i doing so in the first place. Maybe I was too nervous about working with foam the first time.

But I think mistakes are part the life and I always see them as a way to learn thinks

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Autumn has reached the alps and the temperatures get chilly - no good for working with epoxy. So I took a few days of in the first week of october to make good on the errors, that I made.

I began with pulling out the foam at the bulkheads. I tell you, it was no pleasure. The foam is sticky as f... Took me several hours to get it out
boot_102020_7.jpg
Then i filled the corners with thickend epoxy and glassed all bulkheads front and back

boot_102020_6.jpg
Since the temperatures reached only 15 degrees celcius (60 f) the epoxy took long to dry. So i took the time to try building frames from the hatches. I looked at the pictures of Fair WX Pilot (https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=470) to sort of understand, how to build theese frames. For the time being, they are only hold together by screws, since i am not pretty shure, if i made them right.
boot_102020_3.jpg
When all the tapes finally dryed up, i cut away all the rest of the excess-foam to bring the floor to the level of the stringers and refilled the gaps. The floor now lays firmley on the ground. I still did not glue it on, since i miscalculated how much epoxy i would need for the tapes. it simply was not enough left to glue the floor.
boot_102020_4.jpg
But there was enough epoxy, to make parts of the deck.
boot_102020_5.jpg
So in theory, all the major parts of the boat are now ready - but nothing is glued on yet. So I can still change a lot.
boot_102020_1.jpg
boot_102020_2.jpg
I don´t think it will be possible to work with epoxy in this year. So in winter I will try to make the motor run properly and order things like clamps and handrails and stuff.

In spring I will start with glueing everything together and then sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint and so on... And then I have to buy a new car (our small three years old hybrid city-car cannot pull the boat - my wife is not happy 8O ) I am thinking about something like ford galaxy or a voyager. So hopefully, i will splash the boat in summer.

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Well, spring is finally here. But the covid-situation is not getting any better. Since the boat is at my parents in law, there will be no building for some time. They are both 67 years old and getting the boat finished a little faster is not worth the risk of getting them sick. They live in the countryside, with little chance of getting the virus and my wife and I live in Graz, a City from the size of Buffalo, with a high chance of getting the virus.

So, although I am really careful - wearing FFP2-masks, getting tested twice a week - we won't be visiting my parents in law for a longer time and so working on the boat is postponed. We are waiting until the situation gets better or my parents in law and me get vaccinated. My wife already got Pfizer, she works in a hospital.

I hope that we all will get our shots until summer, so that I can work on the boat in the summer holidays.

Until then: Stay safe!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Roman, I feel you have made a great choice. You are a good man. There no use taking a chance. Wait for the vaccine.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Wow, already September... The last months were very busy. Shortly after my last posting, my wife and I found a very interesting real-estate-ad. At that point, we were still renting, which is quite usual in Austria. But we had some money on the side and this was a really nice 23-years old 2-story-apartment with a totally fair price. That's quite unusual, real estate prices are crazy these days. So we bought the apartment. The condition was really ok for the age, but there was still some work to be done. We removed one wall, new tiles, new kitchen, new bathroom.
2109_wohnung4.jpg
2109_wohnung1.jpg

We really love our new home, but that meant no time for the boat until late Summer.

Now I am back on the boat. I managed to put make hatches and put in the floor, front-seat and back-cover.
2109_Boden1.jpg
2109_Boden2.jpg

I hope, October will be warm, so I can glue the deck before Winter comes...

I´ll keep you posted

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Kitchen and boat both look great, huge congrats on the new home purchase!

Really nice cabinet/counter/shelve layout, great use of space. Don't let my Mrs see that!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie