Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:32 am
by RomanVilgut
Hello,

at first I want to thank Ruben and Jacques for the Answers to my Questions in

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p452326
and
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=170

It´s getting serious. Since I live in the city (Graz) i am working in the barn of my father in Law. I thought it would be big enough, but it´s getting tight...

Build the jig and molds. After cutting the molds I realized, I forgot the camper. So I used some of the wood, to "make" cambers. I hope, this will work...

Also did some cutting already. I have two weeks vacation in September, where I want to make as much progress as possible - with the help of my wife. I want to finish all the pre-work before September, e.g. cutting and glueing the pannels. Should I cut all parts before I start, or should I cut them, when I need them?

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 am
by glossieblack
Welcome Roman! :D

I am not familiar with the build plans for the OB15, but I strongly suspect that you build the hull as wide joining curving planes first, epoxy then glass tape them together, then glue on' what you're calling 'camper' or 'camber' external strips (strakes) latter.

Others with more knowledge of the OB15 design will no doubt chime in.

Enjoy your build - I'm looking forward to following it. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 am
by Rtorres2411
Hello Roman
It’s nice to see you have started the OB. The jig and mold looks good, but be careful with the pieces you used in the molds for the lack of camber. Since you don’t have a complete camber those pieces of wood could create hard spots and prevent a nice fair hull bottom.
Don’t cut your bulkheads yet, wait until you flip the hull and measure the hull where the bulkhead goes. I used cardboard to make bulkhead half sections, then transfer the measurements to the wood.

Happy building
Ruben

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am
by jacquesmm
Don't worry too much about that camber, you can build without it.
The idea is that when bending the plywood close to the bow, the ply will assume a conical shape.
That works well with Okume plywood, not so much with stiffer ply. In all cases, do not worry if the plywood does not fit perfectly to the molds close to the bow. Let it take a natural shape. Try for fairness first.
Your jig looks good, keep posting please.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:04 am
by RomanVilgut
Thanks! I will remove the camber and see what shape the plywood will take. Next step for me is glueing the transom and the side panel. My first time with epoxy... I will make a testrun on some of the wood that is left over from cutting...

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 am
by RomanVilgut
Yesterday I made the bottom. I am using cotton and fiber as putty filler. Works out good for me.

I think i am going to lower the jig about 10 centimeters (4 inch). I am 1,8 meters (6 feet) tall and really had to stretch, to epoxy the keel.

Wanted to do the side too, but when i was cutting the panels, I was a little stubborn and wanted to do all on one day without a break. The result: I somehow made an error with the side panel, lost five centimeters (2 inch). So I had to order a new plate. It will be delivered next week. So my tip to myself and all builders: Make breaks and simply stop working, when you lose concentration...

I also developed a tennis elbow, so I am going to make a little break (2 weeks) from building.
ob15_bottompannel.jpg
But I am very happy with my progress. One Question though. I use clamps to hold the panels in place, but I will have to remove them, when I do the side. Can i use zip tie to connect the panels to the jig? And when should I remove the zip ties at the keel?

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:44 pm
by joe2700
RomanVilgut wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 am One Question though. I use clamps to hold the panels in place, but I will have to remove them, when I do the side. Can i use zip tie to connect the panels to the jig? And when should I remove the zip ties at the keel?
Once you attach the side panels to the bottom with zip ties the weight of the side panels will do a lot of the work to hold the bottom against the frames. Where it doesn't you can use temporary screws to pull a panel in to the frame. Just don't make them very tight or you get a flat spot, just enough to pull the panel lightly against the frame.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 am
by RomanVilgut
Thanks, never though about temporary screws. But I really think, this will help.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:07 am
by RomanVilgut
I spent some time of my vacation for the boat and made some Progress. After cutting and glueing the side-panels i could strap them to the molds. I did not need screws for the bottom pannels, after two weeks with screw clamps, the pannel was nicely fitting in place. I straped it to the molds with zip-ties.
1909_boot5.jpg
1909_boot6.jpg
I then did the chine with epoxi and used cotton and fiber as filament. With the help of my wife, I could get the nicely flat, using an dough scraper.
1909_boot4.jpg
After that, i did the sanding and applied the fiberglass-tap (10cm). That did go ... let´s say, ok for a beginner
1909_boot1.jpg
I really tried to have no bubbles, using rolls instead of a brush and also had those metal-rolls for getting the air out. I have some bubbles on the flat surface. I figure, that i can sand them and put a batch of new fiberglass-fabric over it.
1909_boot3.jpg
But especially at the chine, i had no chance. There are bubbles all around the sharp edge of the corner.
1909_boot2.jpg
I am not sure, what to do about them. When I sand the area, then the fiberglass-tape will literally be cut in half and the tape should add more stability, which is imho impossible, when cut in half. On the other hand, how should i patch the corner. The Tape will not bend around the edge without bubbles, neither will the fabric. Is there a possibility to fill the bubbles with an injecton of some kind, the optics do not bother me? Or should i just put another layer of epoxi over it?

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 am
by pee wee
Hi Roman; the regular way to do the chines is round them over after gluing but before the glass tape goes on; the tape won't go around a sharp corner, as you found out. After the fiberglass is all on, then you can build the corners up again to be sharp. For most of these designs the tape is an important structural part of the hull.

I know you're itching to make lots of progress, but I think you should wait until someone familiar with the plans can advise you on where to go from here.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am
by piperdown
jacquesmm wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am Don't worry too much about that camber, you can build without it.
The idea is that when bending the plywood close to the bow, the ply will assume a conical shape.
That works well with Okume plywood, not so much with stiffer ply. In all cases, do not worry if the plywood does not fit perfectly to the molds close to the bow. Let it take a natural shape. Try for fairness first.
Your jig looks good, keep posting please.
JM, hopefully you will see the pictures of the tape on the chine and weigh in.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:13 pm
by Jeff
I sent Jacques a note. I am sure he will review and comment soon. Jeff

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:13 pm
by jacquesmm
12 oz, (400gr/m2) biaxial should take a turn around a radius of about 12 mm. You need a bubble roller like this:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/prodd ... _1%2F2_3in
or use plastic squeegees like this:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/prodd ... E_spreader

It will take time and patience but it should work.
You will have some air bubbles, grind them off. If there are two many, add a 2nd layer of tape.

It is important to start with a radius around all corners, fiberglass will never make a sharp turn without bubbles.
Later, you will build a sharp chine angle with a putty made from resin and milled glass or silica.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 pm
by narfi
Here is an example from my project,

After gluing the panels together, and sanding the excess glue off, the corner was too sharp, much too sharp for glass tape or wide cloth to lay over without creating bubbles and problems,

So I rounded the corners down to about a 1/2" radius,

With it rounded over like that, the tape laid down nicely (except in the corner where it is folded over which I expected to have to sand anyways)

Here is another good picture of how it is rounded over and how the tape and wide cloth laid over it smoothly,

I rounded over the chines as well, even though I wanted them sharp when done,

So once the tape and wide cloth was on, I was able to build the corner back up to a sharp point like I wanted using thickened epoxy,

And here is the final result after the graphite coating has been applied, you can see the edges are sharp, even though I started with very rounded edges for the glass to lay over,

hopefully that makes sense?

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 pm
by piperdown
That's a fantastic example narfi!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 pm
by narfi
It is important to do the same thing on the inside as well, but instead of sanding down to a radius, you have to add a 'fillet' of thickened epoxy to create an inside corner with a 1/2" radius so that the tape and wide cloth will lay nicely into the corners.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:22 pm
by Fuzz
Narfi your last post should be a sticky on how to form the chines!

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 pm
by OrangeQuest
Very nicely done Narfi!

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 am
by RomanVilgut
Ok. I see the mistake I made. So my next steps should be sanding away the bubbles, make a round corner and then glass the corner of the chine with a second layer of tape?

Then I can glass the whole outside and after that, i rebuild the sharp corner of the chine. Right?

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:29 am
by narfi
RomanVilgut wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 am Ok. I see the mistake I made. So my next steps should be sanding away the bubbles, make a round corner and then glass the corner of the chine with a second layer of tape?

Then I can glass the whole outside and after that, i rebuild the sharp corner of the chine. Right?
Correct.

I have made lots of mistakes and it can be frustrating, but you figured it out early and when you are done it will just be a good story to tell, no one looking at your boat will ever guess any mistakes were made.

Post lots of pictures and share your journey here with us. The people on this forum are great and can help with advice and learning along the way.

This method of construction is great because any mistakes can just be sanded off and corrected. When done you will have a great boat you can be proud of.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:44 am
by RomanVilgut
Thanks for the Answer. We are voting here in Austria, that means a lot of work for journalists like me. So I have to wait until the beginning of october, when i have another week for the boat. I hope, that the weather will be nice, usually we have 10 to 20 degrees celcius (50-70f) in october, but it can get colder...

So there will be a pause in winter at least with the epoxy-work...

What is the lowest temperatur to work with epoxy?

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:53 pm
by Fuzz
With fast hardner you should be able to work down to 50f

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm
by narfi
Like fuzz said, but it also depends on the brand of epoxy you are using. It would be good to read the manufactures recommendations.
What epoxy are you using?

Fast hardener in cooler more humid environments will cause anemia (incorrect spelling. .. I'm not sure how its spelled) blush when cured and during the curing process the surface will feel like it has kind of a oily/slimy residue on it. This isnt an issue as long as you understand it and prepare accordingly.

The epoxy will still cure fine, but you need to wash the blush off with warm soapy water and a sponge or scotch brite and rinse off. You do not want to put fresh epoxy over that layer without cleaning it off or it can cause bonding issues. It is also very difficult to sand as it will clog your sand paper very quickly.

I am facing cooler temperatures myself and probably wont be able to finish this fall. Here is what I saw from my backyard this morning........
20190921_103403.jpg
Termination dust :(

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:35 pm
by Fuzz
Here is a link http://bateau2.com/howto/cure_times.php
Got this from JM himself. That is service you don't get just anywhere.

Dang Narfi keep that over on your side of the mountain ! I ain't ready to see it yet :help:

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:00 am
by RomanVilgut
Nice Mountain-View. My epoxy is a noname Produkt. It is written on, that it beginns to harden after 45-60 Minutes at 20 degrees celcius (68f). So it is a medium hardener. When I read the table right, I can work down to 13 degrees Celsius with it. That is good. Then I still got most of october before the winter-break.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:33 am
by RomanVilgut
So next Week, I have another 3-4 days reserved for the Boat. A friend of mine is going to help me. He has some experience, because he has already build a 14 feet dory.

My plan is: Sanding the edges of the chine to a curve and repeat the taping - this time hopefully without bubbles. Then I want to go on with the fabric. Here I would like some advice. I am using 6mm-wood for the side and therefore will also glass the inside, like explained in the plans. But how many layers should I do on the outside? Since the chines and the keel are held together with glass-tape, is one layer of glass-fabric enough or should I do a second layer?

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:08 pm
by narfi
The plans should show a lamination schedule.
x layers and weight of tape on each seam inside and out (could be 1 or more)
x layers and weight of wide cloth and where (could be 0 or more)

It should look something like this in the plans (my plans are for a different boat, but shows what section you are looking for) find that section in your plans and apply it to your specific boat.
lamination schedule.PNG
lamination schedule.PNG (18.57 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:45 pm
by jacquesmm
The plans should show the that.
The latest version of the plans specify 6 mm with one layer 12 oz. (400 gr) each side.

There are some very old plans out there that show a 10 mm ply as an option but that is overkill.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:24 am
by RomanVilgut
Thanks for the Answer. Then i will make one layer. I have seen Rubens pictures. I will do it the same way, with the overlap at the keel.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 am
by RomanVilgut
We had really good weather for October, 13-18 degrees celicius (55-65f). So I had three good building days.

On the first day, I sanded the chine, made round corners and then taped it. I still had some smaller bubbles and used an injection-needle to fill them up.
1910_boot1.jpg
1910_boot2.jpg
On day 2 I had help from a friend. Together we could put on the fabric. It took 10kg (22lb) epoxy to get it really soaked in.
1910_boot3.jpg
Since we had under 10 degrees celsius (50f), it did not really dry up during night. We found 5 bubbles and filled them with the needle. Then we put a second coat of epoxy on the boat.
1910_boot4.jpg
On the next day it was still a little bit sticky. So I really think, that´s it for now. I will have to wait until spring, to start working on the boat again. So I bought a boat cover,as uv-protection which I will put over the boat, when everything is really dry.

So in winter I will have time to think about the layout. I am not a fisher, the boat will be a pleasure craft for my wife and me, I want to drive it in alpine lakes, the danube and the adriatic see. So I want to make benches, that can somehow be transformend to sunbeds. I also don´t have decided, if I want a central console or a side console ...

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:53 am
by Bogieman
She is looking very nice! Good luck as you dream and plan during your boat building off season.

Bogie

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:59 am
by narfi
RomanVilgut wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 am I am not a fisher, the boat will be a pleasure craft for my wife and me
The later may change the former....... it's hard to know the future :)

Your boat is looking great!

Edit: I am not awake yet, I read "I am not a father"..... my comment was funnier in that context but could still be true about fishing :)

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:26 pm
by Rtorres2411
Nice looking boat 8), it brings me memories of when I started my OB.

Ruben

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:51 am
by RomanVilgut
Wintertime in Austria. No Chance to work on the boat. But then I found a used motor on the internet, just 30 kilometers (18 miles) from home. The vendor thought a cylinder was gone and wanted 250 Euro (275 USD). It is a Johnson 50VRO, 2-stroke from 1987 with remote control.

Together with a friend of mine we drove half an hour to the place. The Motor was mounted to a rubber boat. The vendor said, it starts, but in the water, it did not have the power it used to have. So we started the motor, there was no problem, we checked the ignition, no problem, we even checked the compression - 125 and 130 psi. And although I wanted a motor that is not that heavy (85kg/190lbs), I took it. The price was to tempting.

Our first impression: We think it is the fuel pump. The motor looks good. So we are going to clean the carb, exchange the oil, the old tubes etc. So I found myself something to work on in the winter...

I hope we get it running again. It would save me a lot of money.
johnson50vro_1.jpg
johnson50vro_2.jpg

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 am
by Jeff
Good find!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:11 pm
by Fuzz
The VRO system on those motors are a known weak point. Most people will remove it and go to premix gas. Lots of info on the net.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:10 pm
by RomanVilgut
Yeah, we also think thats the main Probleme, hopefully!

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 am
by RomanVilgut
Winter brought nearly no snow so far. But the temperatures are still cold. But I still could use the days after christmas for the boat and made some sketches with ideas for the flor-layout.

My ob15 will mainly be a pleasure-boat for the summer in croatia, carinthia and the danube river. So my idea is, to make it comfortable. I really would like to make it possible to create a flat surface between two benches for lying in the sun using some kind of flaps mounted on the bench-frames with a hinge.

I have made 4 different designes. I am not good at sketching and my handwriting is ugly, sorry for that.

Layout 1
BootLayout1.jpg
This layout very much sticks to the plan. After the engine bay comes a bench with two fuel-tanks and a center-console with the battery inside. In front of the center-console is not a seat, but a bench. The Bench and the forward-seat provide a lot of storage-room. There are aprox. 68 centimeter (2,2 foot) between bench and forward-seat. If I manage to create a flat-surface with some flaps, it would be nearl 190 centimeter (6,2 foot) long. This layout has the advantage, that I would not neet much tubes for cabels from the console to the engine. But I have some doubts about the weight. The engine weights about 90 kg (200 pounds), the full fuel-tanks will add another 40 kg (88 pounds), I also weight 90 kg (200 pounds). This adds to 220 kg (488 pounds) at the rear. Is this to much or can the ob15 carry this weight on the rear?

This in mind I made Layout 2

BootLayout2.jpg
Here i put the fuel-tanks under the forward-seat and reduce the rear-bench to a seat. This way I can reduce the weight at the rear to 180 kg (400 pounds). Negative effekt: I will need a tube from the forward-seat to the engine-bay for the fuel pipes and 180 kg still sounds alot.

So I tried to think outside the box and came up with another idea, that I really like. But I don´t know, if it can be done on the ob15

Layout 3
BootLayout4.jpg
Here I put the console (and myself) to the front. I raise the forward-seat, to make a complete forward-deck from frame B to the front. I combine the console with frame b. I even could install a wind-shield. I still have two benches and hopefully can create a flat surface with flaps. The fuel-tanks are under the rear-bench, the large forward-deck provides a lot of storage. I put the console in the center for the balance. Since I am on the front of the boat, I can reduce the weight on the rear to 130 kg (288 pounds) which sounds reasonable. But I wonder, can this layout really be made? Or is there some problem, that I don´t see?

I really would love to read your opinion.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:29 am
by RomanVilgut
So, spring has finally come and I had some time for the OB15. It was time for the first coat of primer. But first, there was filling and sanding. Lots of sanding ...
2003_primer1.jpg
2003_primer2.jpg
2003_primer3.jpg
When it looked ok to me, I painted it with 1,5 Liter (0,4 gal) primer. It lasted for two coats.
2003_primer4.jpg
It looks really nice from the far view. But when I look closely I can clearly see, there has to be a little more filling and sanding and then at least another coat of primer.
2003_primer5.jpg
When I am finished with priming, it would be ready for turning. But I wonder, should I not also paint the hull before I turn it? Of course, there might be some damage to the paint, while doing the inside. But is correcting those damages later not easier, then painting the hull when flipped?

Also regarding the rub rail. What wood should I choose? And how is it fixed to the side, with screws or glued with epoxy?

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 pm
by Capfish1
Looking good!

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 pm
by Rtorres2411
Looking great. The fairing of the hull is a tedious process, sand on.

Just to give you an idea of how the boat floats here is a picture of mine on the first float test. The engine weighs 230 pounds and the 12 gallon fuel tank is under the front bench.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:49 am
by RomanVilgut
Thank you for thr picture. It realy helps.

Since the boat is in the barn of my parents in law, building is on hold for a longer time. Our government encouraged us to stay at home, so I am in homeoffice right now. We also would never endanger my parents in law, both above 60.

I am a journalist by profession, so I also read alot of US-media. When I read about young people partying at springbreak, I think you are making the same mistakes, we made. Through february here in Europe we were thinking, it is a chinese problem. Even with first cases in Italy, there were still Apres-Ski-Parties. And one infected barkeeper at one bar infected many Partyguests, tourists from all over europe. I fear the same could happen to the US.

So be prepared - mentally - for what there is to come. Protect the elderly people, help each other but keep the distance. The good thing in free societies: In times of crises we stand together. The sun always sets, evev after a dark night.

best wishes from Austria

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:24 pm
by RomanVilgut
Things are getting normal here in Europe. So the last few weeks I could go back on working on the boat again. I did more sanding and filling. But I had to realize, that I am not the prefect craftsman. There are some spots, that are not perfectly even. But as I see it: It is my boat, build with my own hands. That´s something to be proud of.
2006_ground.jpg
2006_ground2.jpg
After sanding priming it the 4th time, my wife said, I developed a strange passion for sanding and priming. So I decided, the hull is ready for some color. In the city near the house of my parents-in-law is a color-factory, where I could buy my colors. It is ivory (RAL 1014) for the bottom and brown-red for the side (Ral 3011). I had 4 layers of primer, 2 layers of ivory and for the side another two layers of brown-red.
2006_color.jpg
2006_color2.jpg
So, the next big step is turning the boat. My idea is keeping one of the molds (nr. 4) in the boat and securing the side with straps.

The next step would be glassing the inside. Here I have a question. The OB15 has horizontal stringers. Should I glue them on before glassing the inside or after glassing?

Stay safe!

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:38 pm
by narfi
Glass the entire inside before tabbing in your stringers :)

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 pm
by RomanVilgut
I could manage to work four days in a row on the boat. On one day a friend of mine came to help me with the glass.

But first I had to turn the boat. It lies on some old mattresses. had help from my nephew and father in law. I turned it with the molds inside, mainly because I glued the molds to the boat at some places 8O :lol:
2007_turn1.jpg
Once turned it was no problem to get rid of the molds and i could start glassing the keel and the inside of the chines.
2007_glass1.jpg
2007_glass2.jpg
I had very view bubbles, which i filled later with a syringe.

I also startet glueing the rubrail and protected the outside with a foil.

Friend of mine came and we did the main job: Glassing the Inside.

Working together, we could do it in five hours.
2007_glass3.jpg
2007_glass4.jpg
2007_glass5.jpg
After cutting the edges, I could not help it and boarded my boat for the first time. It was a really great feeling!
2007_glass6_1.jpg
In september I have another week reserved only for the boat. I hope I can do the stringers and the two constructive frames on some weekends. In september I will make the foam. Since I decided to do a middle-bench, i can put all cables above ground and won´t need tubes.

But regarding the foam. For me it is difficult to find out, which one is the right one. In Europe they are not really labeled "flotation foam". After reading a lot about foam and how water can get into it, it did become sceptical. Then I found a foam, which could work. But I would like to hear your opinion

https://www.yachtshop24.com/epages/6329 ... ts/126.338

It is a german website. But I have a pic of the description.
schaum.jpg
Is this the right foam?

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:08 pm
by Fuzz
Congratulations on the flip! That is always a big step to get done. Having help for the big glass jobs sure is nice.
You boat looks good as does your glass work. From what you posted the foam seems to be the right stuff but it is hard to know for sure.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:37 pm
by Jaysen
The first sentence in the GB section indicates that it is correct. Specifically
* closed cell
* floatation
Jeff might ask Jacques to weigh in on the density specifications but I’m pretty sure that foam will do the job.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:45 pm
by Rtorres2411
Looking great. It’s nice seeing another OB being built.

Ruben

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 am
by RomanVilgut
Thanks a lot! Your positive reactions really motivate me!

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:22 am
by cape man
That foam would be listed as 3 pound foam here (50kg/m3 = 3.2lb/ft3). Perfect for what you are doing.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm
by RomanVilgut
I could carve out 5 days for the Boat. So it was time for the foam - I bought the one, I´ve shown before. It was not cheap, but delivery was quick. So for all the European builders: you can buy this one from yachtshop24.

Before I began with the foam, I put in the frames and the horizontal stringers. But especially the forward stringer did not bend completely down to the hull. When I used heavy weights, they slid of. At least, the forward stringers made enough contact to hold. But I decided to use also use some foam in the forward section, to fill the gaps.
2009_schaum2.jpg
2009_schaum3.jpg
2009schaum6.jpg
I must admid, I would not have thought, that the foam worked this good. I put aprox. 10 KG (2,6 Gallons) in the boat. At some spots, that was a little bit too much. So I had to cut some of it away. Since i am using a bench in the middle section I desided, to hide all the cables go under the side-deck or with a cable trough on the side. So the foam will be covered in full by the floor and there will be no penetration, that could give way for water to get under the floor.

After foaming I had some time left, to build some "interior" and cut the floor in the right dimensions. I have to admid, my meassuring was a little bit sloppy. So there are some spots, that do not quite fit yet and need some further attention and I will raise the console a bit. But overall I am quite happy with the way, the boat looks.
2009schaum4.jpg
2009schaum5.jpg
2009schaum7.jpg
In October I have another 4 days reserved for the boat, where I will make all the taping and the hatches in the forward seat and the motorwell. I read a lot of stuff in English and also think, that I am also good in speaking English (not in writing though). But I tried to read the Seaslug's Hatch Making Method https://forums.bateau2.com/app.php/page ... 30fc42d724 - and I don´t really understand, what to do.

Does somebody have kind of a photo-documentation? It would really help, thx.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:27 pm
by BB Sig
Boats looking good! :lol:

That is a tough read! :? Coach followed Seaslugs instructions and posted pictures:

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... ng#p476284

See if that helps!

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm
by Fuzz
Just to make sure did you glass the stringers and bulkheads in before you poured the foam?

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm
by RomanVilgut
I glassed the stringers... thought the bulkheads get glassed when the floor is in, since only a small part is under foam. 8O

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:35 am
by Fuzz
All of that stuff should have been glassed in before the foam. The foam sticks like a tiger but I am not sure it will make up for not glassing in the bulkheads. I think I would run this by JM in the top section. That way he will see it as he does not always monitor the threads here.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 am
by jacquesmm
NO! Please, do not think the job of the glass tape is to glue parts together. It does that but the tabbing is part of the structure. For example, the glass tape along the stringers creates a long fiberglass beam. Without it, the boat will fall apart.
The fiberglass tape and the overlaps are the skeleton of the boat.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:34 am
by RomanVilgut
Ok... How should i proceed. As said, the stringers are glassed. Is it now necessary to remove the foam at the bulkheads? Or will taping the side-parts of the bulkhead and the part where the foam is give enough strengh to the boat?

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:15 am
by jacquesmm
I may have misunderstood because of some replies.
The outside looks superb, great job.
Let's talk about what must be done before the foam, just as I describe on the plans:
- all inside tabbing must be done along the chines, transom and bow. I think I see that in the pictures, it looks fine. No problem there.
- you installed a layer of wide fabric on the inside: not necessary, not on the plans but not a bad option but it should have been done after stringers installation. It will be a little heavier but stronger. Still fine.
- in the next picture, I see parts of the stringers under some foam. You asked about the stringer not being in full contact with the hull and that worries me. Those stringers must be properly glued to the hull. It should have been done before the inside fiberglass. It is easy to fiberglass over them but that is why I do not specify inside glass: it is difficult to do it properly.
If the stringers are properly epoxy glued over the inside glass, it will be almost as good as glued to the plywood of the hull.
You say that there is a gap forward. I could explain better if we had pictures before the foam.
I am almost certain that the rear part of the stringers is properly welded to the hull skin. For the forward part that tries to lift, you should have used weights to push them down.
Keep in mind that the tabbing of the sole to the stringers, all around, is important for the hull stiffness. If, in some place, that sole is welded to a stringer that wants to move up and down, the foam will break etc.

What do we do now?
We should fill that gap with epoxy putty, not with foam.

It is not difficult to do. You can cut the foam where you know there is a gap , remove the foam from the gap with a saw blade and pour epoxy putty in it.

I am guessing at this point because I don't know how larger that gap is, how deep, how long, where?
Tell me were that gap is and how deep is it?
Do you have pictures of the gap?
Besides that, your construction is great and maybe I worry too much about your sentence:
But especially the forward stringer did not bend completely down to the hull. When I used heavy weights, they slid of. At least, the forward stringers made enough contact to hold. But I decided to use also use some foam in the forward section, to fill the gaps.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:25 am
by jacquesmm
More for Roman:
- please tell me as much as possible about that gap . If it is just a 10 cm tip of the stringers lifting up, we can live with it but not if the gap goes all the way to the mid seat frame.
- is it the first layer or the 2nd one? Probably the 1st layer but I want to be certain.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:34 pm
by RomanVilgut
Wow, thank you for the long answer. First the good news: The Gap is aprox 2-3 cm at most. It is at the first layer of the stringer. on the forward section between frame a and b - but nearer to frame b. Sry, I have no picture of it. There were no gaps on the rear part, so the rear stringer should be fine

So, next time will remove the foam under the gap and fill it with epoxy putty. And then I will make shure, the floor i properly taped to the stringers, bulkheads and the hull.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 pm
by jacquesmm
Do you mean 2 or 3 cm long between A and B? That is nothing, I am relieved. :D
Do what I suggested: scrape some of that foam off there and pour liquid epoxy putty in the gap.

You can also live with it. It is a very small weakness.

I was afraid that you had up to 1 meter of stringer lifted up, that would have been serious but this is nothing to worry and easy to fix.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:15 pm
by joe2700
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 pm Do you mean 2 or 3 cm long between A and B? That is nothing, I am relieved. :D
Do what I suggested: scrape some of that foam off there and pour liquid epoxy putty in the gap.

You can also live with it. It is a very small weakness.

I was afraid that you had up to 1 meter of stringer lifted up, that would have been serious but this is nothing to worry and easy to fix.
Just an observer here but I think Roman also said he didn't glass the frames to the hull, only the stringers. Haven't seen that part addressed yet. Did I just misunderstand?
RomanVilgut wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm I glassed the stringers... thought the bulkheads get glassed when the floor is in, since only a small part is under foam. 8O

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm
by jacquesmm
I thought that I saw glass tape at the frames but looking again, it is just putty.
The plans show battens, very clearly. See step 2 and 3 of the Hull assembly drawing.
This is an old but good drawing. At that time, I used vertical battens along the sides. Many builders have used tape as in most of my other designs.
Battens or tape are fine but there must be something there.
Roman, if you read this, either install the battens as on the plans or add one layer of glass tape.
I know that some designers use just a putty fillet but that is for row boats or sail boats. On a planing hull, we need something sturdier.
It is not too late. As you (Roman) wrote, only a small part of the frames is under the foam.

Thanks for noticing that Joe2700.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:01 am
by RomanVilgut
Thank's for the reminder, i was planning to do so anyway, since I will also will have to remove more excess-foam to bring the floor to the right level. And at the bulkheads, it is only a small batch of foam, that has to be removed.

So I can glass the bulkheads to the hull and later on also to the floor. I also used some battens - mainly to ensure the bulkheads are really vertical. I hope, that battens combined with glass will give the right stability.

I really don't know, why I did not think of i doing so in the first place. Maybe I was too nervous about working with foam the first time.

But I think mistakes are part the life and I always see them as a way to learn thinks

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:08 am
by RomanVilgut
Autumn has reached the alps and the temperatures get chilly - no good for working with epoxy. So I took a few days of in the first week of october to make good on the errors, that I made.

I began with pulling out the foam at the bulkheads. I tell you, it was no pleasure. The foam is sticky as f... Took me several hours to get it out
boot_102020_7.jpg
Then i filled the corners with thickend epoxy and glassed all bulkheads front and back

boot_102020_6.jpg
Since the temperatures reached only 15 degrees celcius (60 f) the epoxy took long to dry. So i took the time to try building frames from the hatches. I looked at the pictures of Fair WX Pilot (https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=470) to sort of understand, how to build theese frames. For the time being, they are only hold together by screws, since i am not pretty shure, if i made them right.
boot_102020_3.jpg
When all the tapes finally dryed up, i cut away all the rest of the excess-foam to bring the floor to the level of the stringers and refilled the gaps. The floor now lays firmley on the ground. I still did not glue it on, since i miscalculated how much epoxy i would need for the tapes. it simply was not enough left to glue the floor.
boot_102020_4.jpg
But there was enough epoxy, to make parts of the deck.
boot_102020_5.jpg
So in theory, all the major parts of the boat are now ready - but nothing is glued on yet. So I can still change a lot.
boot_102020_1.jpg
boot_102020_2.jpg
I don´t think it will be possible to work with epoxy in this year. So in winter I will try to make the motor run properly and order things like clamps and handrails and stuff.

In spring I will start with glueing everything together and then sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint and so on... And then I have to buy a new car (our small three years old hybrid city-car cannot pull the boat - my wife is not happy 8O ) I am thinking about something like ford galaxy or a voyager. So hopefully, i will splash the boat in summer.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:04 am
by RomanVilgut
Well, spring is finally here. But the covid-situation is not getting any better. Since the boat is at my parents in law, there will be no building for some time. They are both 67 years old and getting the boat finished a little faster is not worth the risk of getting them sick. They live in the countryside, with little chance of getting the virus and my wife and I live in Graz, a City from the size of Buffalo, with a high chance of getting the virus.

So, although I am really careful - wearing FFP2-masks, getting tested twice a week - we won't be visiting my parents in law for a longer time and so working on the boat is postponed. We are waiting until the situation gets better or my parents in law and me get vaccinated. My wife already got Pfizer, she works in a hospital.

I hope that we all will get our shots until summer, so that I can work on the boat in the summer holidays.

Until then: Stay safe!

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:46 am
by narfi
Frustrating times indeed.
Stay safe!

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:05 pm
by TomW1
Roman, I feel you have made a great choice. You are a good man. There no use taking a chance. Wait for the vaccine.

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:57 am
by RomanVilgut
Wow, already September... The last months were very busy. Shortly after my last posting, my wife and I found a very interesting real-estate-ad. At that point, we were still renting, which is quite usual in Austria. But we had some money on the side and this was a really nice 23-years old 2-story-apartment with a totally fair price. That's quite unusual, real estate prices are crazy these days. So we bought the apartment. The condition was really ok for the age, but there was still some work to be done. We removed one wall, new tiles, new kitchen, new bathroom.
2109_wohnung4.jpg
2109_wohnung1.jpg

We really love our new home, but that meant no time for the boat until late Summer.

Now I am back on the boat. I managed to put make hatches and put in the floor, front-seat and back-cover.
2109_Boden1.jpg
2109_Boden2.jpg

I hope, October will be warm, so I can glue the deck before Winter comes...

I´ll keep you posted

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:59 am
by VT_Jeff
Kitchen and boat both look great, huge congrats on the new home purchase!

Really nice cabinet/counter/shelve layout, great use of space. Don't let my Mrs see that!

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:23 am
by RomanVilgut
It has been a long time, since my last update. Autumn was cold, so I could not do a lot before winter. But spring began early. But I used the winter to think about the interior and how to place it. Since I want to use the boat in the Adriatic Sea and the Danube, I need a strong engine (which I already got). But we also have beautiful lakes in the alps. But if you are no millionaire, you cannot afford the license for a motorboat (e.g. 200k for the Woerthersee). But you need no licence, if you have an electrical motor under 4 Kilowatt (6hp). So I decided to make the boat more versatile. So I used the rest of the wood for the floor and put several screw threats in, then I glued it to the floor.
2206_Fortschritt5.jpg
After that, the boat was ready for the first layer of filler and primer. Here you can also see the many possible positions of the screws.
2206_Fortschritt4.jpg
My father-in-law gave me another idea. I could use the space on the side of the front deck as compartments. So I can put cushions on them which will make them nicer to lean on. I am bit struggling with the curve, so it is still kind of in the making. I think, I can at least make it look smoother with some filler. I also put hinges on the hedges. But my wife doesn´t like them, so I am thinking to use velcro strips (hook-and-loop) instead. I have also use them in my van and they are strong as hell...
2206_Fortschritt2.jpg
With the screws in place, I also had to rebuild the bench and make it a bit wider. I wanted to use larch wood for the construction, but wood-prices went crazy, so I ended up with spruce, but I bought impregnated spruce wood, which is water-resistant and then put the plywood on the wooden construction. I know, it adds to the weight of the boat, but it is also very stable. And thanks to my versatile construction, I can change the layout later.
2206_Fortschritt1.jpg
I try to build a kind of chair on my own. But what´s bothering me, is that I am standing quite in the back of the boat. I don´t know yet, if the weight of the motor plus my ~190 pounds will bring the boat in a not so good balance. But I can still can move everything further to the front. But this will be done, when the boat is finished and I can test it.
2206_Fortschritt3.jpg
I also already bought the clamps and handrails and the anchor.
2206_Fortschritt6.jpg
The next big step is buying the trailer and getting the boat out of the stable and onto the trailer. After that, the boat gets its coating and then I can boot a small electric-motor on it and try it on one of the alpine lakes. At least, that´s the plan for the summer. Fuel-motor, stearing, lights, electric and stuff will be the job for the autumn and winter, so that I can get the certificate (which is needed for handbuild boats) in spring.

I keep you posted.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 pm
by RomanVilgut
I will start this post with an advise, that a friend of my brother gave me. Hi teaches future engineers at the local collage in Villach, the city I grew up, not far away from the place, where my boat is being build. He sad: "The first thing a technician has to think about, when he builds a machine: How to get it out of the workshop and to the place, where it should go!"

Well... I am no technician... I am a writer, so I did not think about this things, when I startet building. That´s why I needed the help of my brother and his friends from the local boxing-club.

Because it was finally time, to get the boat out of the barn and on a trailer. The problem: To get the boat to the trailer, we had to make kind of an u-turn. The barn was build some hundred years ago and at this time, there was some sort of street to get to the barn. This street is long gone and the barn opens into the garden of my parents-in-law. To make things worse, the actual street was on the other side of the garden and there is a narrow part between two hedges where the boat had to be turned on the side. And the cherry on top of the cake: My Parents-in-Law life vis-a-vis to the local pup of this small village. So we had many viewers.

Who where we we. Myself, my brother and four of his friends from boxing-Club. We used some old mattresses as a slide my father-in-law had in the barn. He also helped or at least tried to reduce the harm to his garden ...

My mother-in-law made some Pics...
boat_action2208_1.jpg
boat_action2208_2.jpg
boat_action2208_3.jpg
boat_action2208_4.jpg
After that, I needed some days to rest my mind. But with the boat on the trailer I could go on with the painting. The console and bench can be unmounted, I painted them in the barn. But the boat I painted on the trailer. I am still not finally done. But the first picuteres look good.
boat_color1.jpg
boat_color2.jpg
So for now I am back at work, but the next steps are clear. Finish the paint, put on the clamps and handrail, borrow a 12-volt-motor and get her in the water for a first testrun.

I can´t wait...

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:51 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm
by Fuzz
I am sure you have heard the saying "many hands make light work" In your case having all those people to help made it possible to do the job :D Very interesting build, we will be looking forward to seeing on the water pictures.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:12 pm
by TomW1
The OB15 is a very nice small boat may you enjoy if tor many years. You have done a very nice job. :D Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:25 am
by RomanVilgut
Yesterday was a big Day for my OB15. I am not the most practical guy, when it comes to motors. So the last weeks a friend helped me to get the motor running. The boatlcould stay at his house for the time. Meanwhile I installed clamps (I bought them too small...) , anchor and stuff and did some repairs with the painting (it fell to the ground while putting it on the trailor). But when all was finished it was ready for a TESTRUN :D

So we drove to the river nearby (Mur, Austria), where you can boat between to hydropowerplants. My friend also took his boat, so we had a backup, if something goes wrong... But what is a backup for, if you don't use it... we were so thrilled after we put the boat in and started the motor and simply took it for a first test... my wife would say "Men!!! typically!" :lol: Because of course afterma view meters the motor went out... We were so wise to take a paddle with us and paddled to shore, where we sexured the boat to a tree until we got back running and drove to the dock... I hope this w s a onetime experiance.

We then cleaned the carbs and made the next testrun with two boats. And it worked. The carbs are not perfectly adjusted, so the throttle was kind of ruff. First ithwas running slow and after I reached a certain point it went "rooaaar" and unleashed the 50 HP at once. I really had to hold on the steering wheel. But it was a hell of ride, the boat handles really well, I had a lot of fun driving it (and a lot of adrenaline). I made 47 kmh (29mph) up the river. The Motor needs some finetuning, but it works.

The boat still needs lights and stuff to get it's expertise (needed in Austria). I will make this through winter and hopefully finish in spring.
signal-2022-10-04-16-51-46-974.jpg
https://youtu.be/6XyXuc5Dx1w

https://youtu.be/_ZY3JSBIMjY

https://youtu.be/c3xG6RW_oIE

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:42 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Great! She moves at a good clip too!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:40 pm
by Fuzz
Boat does look good! Love to see the U-tubes videos of it running.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:21 pm
by TomW1
Very nice, she will last you a long time and you will enjoy her for that time. Tom

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:12 am
by RomanVilgut
Spring came with some not so nice surprises. After 15 years in my company the management decided to hide their mistakes by getting rid of some of the staff. Since I was the only one in my department with no child, it hit me. But 15 years in one company leaves you with a high knowledge of the inner workings of the company. So I had a good negotiating position and did get a golden handshake. And 22 years of experiance in Communication also pay of. One month after I left, I started my new Job at University Graz.

But I had one free month. And I used it to speed up my work with the boat. I got help from a friend of mine, who also had build a boat and is really good with the old 2-strokes.

So 1st thing: Get the motor running smooth. We found the problem. It was the carbs. My friend also has a Johnson and has 3 scrap-motors for spare parts. So we took a different carb and voila - it worked. Ok, it now has 40 HP insteat of 50 HP. Still enough for the boat.

We also reworked the console. I did not like my original design, so we made it smaller and constructed a high chair. Then came electrics.
52824240523_00e66a35a8_k.jpg
52842129027_06a96c2f1c_k.jpg
Then came the hour of truth. Together with my wife, we put her in the water. And boy, it was FUN!
52893745792_6a26009848_o.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGDJEiQVuUg

The Boat makes 45 km/h (28 mph) upriver and 50 km/h (31 mph)downriver. It is realy good to navigate and takes wake-waves very easy.

So now everything works as it should, the final things to do is all the paperwork. I now need an expertise and also need to make sure, that battery and tanks are not moving so much, have to finde a place for all the safety-equipment and then maybe make some adjustments for the anchor and stuff.

All nothing too hard, but it still needs time. And I already started my new job. And also finding the right guy for the expertise is not that easy in a country with no connection to the sea... But I will get there!

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:08 am
by TomW1
Congratulations and enjoy your build for many years to come. Tom

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:09 pm
by cape man
Awesome build with stutters and stops. Good on you to keep going.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:48 am
by Jeff
Nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:49 am
by RomanVilgut
Oh my... an update is long due. But work kept me busy (business-trip to greenland included). But in short: My days as boat-builder are over as my days as boat-owner beginn (and there will be enough building in the future).

For short: We got the motor running, with one limitation, something with the cooling is wrong, so i keep it under 10 knots. But enough to get the papers and the licence. Had to drive to Vienna for it for 5 Minutes inspection and paid 300 Euros (320 usd) for it.

53072862091_8bca831e50_k.jpg
But in the end, it was worth it: I got my licence
53128015283_5bab222263_k.jpg
Everything else here:

viewtopic.php?t=66521

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:03 am
by Jeff
She looks great, congrats!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:49 am
by pee wee
Very nice!

Post more pictures when you can, that link to flickr didn't work for me.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:05 pm
by TomW1
Very nice, you will solve the motor problem eventually. Tom