C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by mhd »

Looks sharp. Very professional finish. Nice job!
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Oh, I always cut my holes in a scrap piece of wood before cutting my dash open. Because you have to account for the epoxy coats to seal the edges back up.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:16 pm Really nice and love the use of the wood.

Home Depot just had hole saw kits on sale. I needed a 3" hole saw and for a few bucks more than they wanted for the one saw, I got a 7-piece kit with box and all. Only a few of the hole saws were also in the kit I already had but mine were very worn from use. Worked out well!
Is there a 3-3/8” hole saw in that kit? :lol: That’s what I need for the tach.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I was lucky and free style cut out the opening for my tach while it was still a flat piece of plywood. But no, the set I bought only went up to 3" which was the size I needed for the in-dash compass. But it also replaced some of my dull bits.

The price of a single hole saw is very steep but if it is the only size, you need it could be worth it. Looks like the other two holes are the same size? Home Depot does have a kit that has that size and more that is 49% off right now, if you like collecting sets.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-H ... /322153636

Like I stated, I always like to cut a hole in a scrap piece of wood to make sure that the hole is the right size after 2 coats of epoxy sealing.

The rectangular opens can be done with a multi-tool.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You may be able to use a router and template to make a nice round hole of the dimension you need. They make template guide rings for routers, and you can usually get different size rings, which in concert with different diameter router bits gives you some range of offsets from your template. To cut the hole in the template you can use a larger hole saw (best to put in a drill press, but you can do by hand) or use a circle cutting jig, or if you've got some wiggle room, cut it out with a jig saw like a barbarian! :lol:
Hank

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

pee wee wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:31 am if you've got some wiggle room, cut it out with a jig saw like a barbarian! :lol:
Barbarian style won the day. Sharp blade, left the line and then cleaned up with a rasp!

ACR and two batteries, with some cables built to length by a local shop, Waypoint Marine get power to the breaker panel and custom switch panel from New Wire Marine. Panel came with grounds and jumpers on the back to control the lamps which saved me some education, I’m sure. Nav lights working with a switch felt like a milestone.

In addition to cleaning up the wire routing, remaining ticket items are fuel lines, control cables and steering lines and cylinder at the splash well.
Attachments
47455BC0-899A-4107-9C71-53B9A603FEC1.jpeg
B8585DC3-387A-40D6-BCDD-D8D62D666063.jpeg
AC5ED022-FB79-4A0A-85A0-03A55E57DB0F.jpeg

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

What a great build, Dan. Nice paint job and joinery. Very pro 8)

Spraying the boat must have been fun. Looking forward to splashing !

Marc

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

What a great build, Dan. Nice paint job and joinery. Very pro 8)

Marc

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

blueflood wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:38 pm What a great build, Dan. Nice paint job and joinery. Very pro 8)

Marc
Thank you, sir. To say I'm getting excited about a launch soon is an understatement!

The clarification from Bamaguy definitely got me pointed in the right direction on my journey unlocking the secrets of Yamaha wiring. Thank you for that BG!

It has been a slow burn figuring out the minutia involved with simple details like what size nuts do I need to hold the neutral safety switch in the Morse control. (#4-40 should anyone else be concerned.)

Still some ciphering to do jumping these wires to the tach, but it is certainly coming into focus.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:54 am

Still some ciphering to do jumping these wires to the tach, but it is certainly coming into focus.

I spent a considerable amount of time studying my Suzuki shop manual wiring schematics to figure out how to connect an aftermarket tach to my 25HP. But was able to find them. Even found the key on power for not only my tach but the voltmeter too. If I spent the money and bought factory gauges, it would have been a simple plug and play.

Awesome job on the boat and console.
A. A. Milne