C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Plans in hand for a few weeks now. Scheming and planning. Sourcing material, and starting at the beginning, which I believe is the strongback.

Because I'm a cad/cnc nerd, i did a quick model of the strong back and 2 piece gussets I'll cut out to keep the vertical stanchions plumb and rigid. A nest of 20 on the cnc will be a quick project.

Probably overkill, but I'm anticipating a slow build and don't want things to sag. I've ordered LSLs, (Laminated Strand Lumber) for the beams. Spaced 40" apart so the outside of the verticals align with the insides of the stringers. Next pics should be the real thing!

Last edited by Dan_Smullen on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19

Post by glossieblack »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:19 pm I've ordered LSLs, (Laminated Strand Lumber) for the beams.
Welcome to the forum. Good call on the laminated lumber.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

As long as you are planning for the strongback I would think long and hard about mounting casters to it. Big ones that are overkill. Being able to move the boat around with little effort is a wonderful thing.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 am As long as you are planning for the strongback I would think long and hard about mounting casters to it. Big ones that are overkill. Being able to move the boat around with little effort is a wonderful thing.
Exactly what’s on my mind. Garage is just barely big enough to hold it, but the ability to move it around so the kids can still reach their bikes is key.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Big nice castors for sure. My LB22 build took years and two of the castors flattened out a bit.

Dougster

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

LSLs in the house, and big, beefy castors procured!

Question regarding drawing for Station B...

There are two horizontal lines in the area of the sole, but neither is marked with a dimension from the keel or baseline. Which line is the bottom of the sole, and what is a dimension to it?

Thanks.
Last edited by Dan_Smullen on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

The drawing is small and kind of blurry, but the designer asks that we not post any copies of the drawings, just refer to the plan page in question. Anybody with access to the plans can look to see what you're talking about.

The base line is normally the bottom of the sole, that's all the help I can offer. :?
Hank

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

pee wee wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:42 am The drawing is small and kind of blurry, but the designer asks that we not post any copies of the drawings, just refer to the plan page in question. Anybody with access to the plans can look to see what you're talking about.

The base line is normally the bottom of the sole, that's all the help I can offer. :?
Understood. Thanks for that.

Edited post above. :wink:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Any sign of Jacques?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dan, Welcome to the Builders Forum!!! Also, please give Jacques a little time to respond as he evacuated the area last Friday due to the hurricane!! Jeff