C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Jeff »

Congrats Dan!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan once you get that motor broken in and with the right prop you should be able to reach 40mph at max rpm's. The top actual anyone has reported with a 115HP is 42mph. Hoping for the best for you.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:14 pm Having Jeff and Elaine to assist was amazing, and they were invaluable punching out the last few bugs that kept us from getting moving. Loose wires behind the switches, and bugs in the fuel tank selector valve slowed us down, but no match for some salty hands like Jeff and myself! My only regret is not getting Elaine on a Virginia redfish or two. Maybe next time.
Very happy to be a part of the launch and to lend a very small hand! I came extremely close to letting the magic smoke out of your meter, close call! ;)

Great crew you've got down there, lotta smart, helpful hands (JT, Cory, John, Lenny et al)! Big hello to all for us!

I'm sure you'll get that sweet boat dialed up to 42 in no time with a little futzing, and then happily cruise at 32 thereafter!

Best,

Jeff & Elaine
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan posted a new PM last night. Ask if you have any questions. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Congratulations Dan! Great to see the boat in the water. Enjoy and best wishes.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Thank you, Browndog.

We spent some time rebuilding the low pressure fuel pump, and showed no improvement in the issue, which was loosing fuel pressure at the injection rail. So we pulled the VST to find a little bit of suspect crud around the screen at the HP pump. Cleaned out all of the mess and reinstalled, but ran out of time to launch and test.

Fast forward two weeks, we launched late Friday evening in a stiff NE breeze and saw 5500 rpm’s screaming into the wind and chop, which we hadn’t before. The boat skipped over the chop comfortably at 33 mph.

I felt like the skeg, strakes and chines really made the boat feel “sticky”, and I mean that as a positive. It didn’t feel like it wanted to get squirrelly in the chop and wind. The boat feels like a heavy boat underway, but at the dock, it reacts quickly while people move from one side to the other, which to me, feels like a symptom of a light boat. The skeg seems to be most noticeable while docking and current and wind are opposed. The skeg is directly affected by the current, which minimizes the effect of any wind. It was only the other night, while blowing 20 or so, was the wind more effectual on the boat than the ebbing current.

The freeboard is amazing. Inwales that hit above your knee make you feel safe in open water. Ample room on either side of the console for 3 people to stand abreast.

While throttling up, there is a fair amount of harmonics that are felt throughout the boat, but these dissipate as the boat gets on plane. I surmise that this comes from the hull being under tension as the panels were bent into shape. Like the face of a stringed instrument, they resonate at the right frequencies. Maybe…

Downsides…I think the motor cut out in the transom wound up too high. After adding glass on top and at the keel, I have 21”. The motor mounts juuust low enough for the fin to align with the keel, but banking sharply in a turn, the prop seems to get a little dry, and momentum and power in the turn suffer. Also, I have a suspicion that she is too light, or maybe too bulbous, in the bow. In the water the stern sags a bit, but levels out nicely on plane. You tell me what you think. The underway pic is a from a few weeks ago while trouble shooting the fuel starvation. Way back when, while planking, the hull bottom panel lifted away from the jig, right about where the skeg turns up to the stem, and there has always been a bit of bump there. Effort at the time getting them to stay tight to the jig may have made a difference.

After our highest rpm sea trial, we changed spark plugs, and injector filters, but again ran out of time for another trial, so expecting the motor to perform even better.

While underway, I spilled a little Modelo in the cockpit, so I’m going to call that the christening, and I christen her “Simply Stubborn”.

WX is looking much better next weekend. I can’t wait to get her out again!
21F3256D-0C0F-4394-93D0-E68A911BA916.jpeg
Attachments
64948A41-1A18-4373-B594-520C3340BD8A.jpeg
308DF44A-C641-4409-9D0C-8062EC1CE9B5.jpeg
D6569281-4DAE-4ACF-9456-1D8E7B4D6A91.jpeg

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Congratulations for the christening, and she looks fantastic on the water, I wish my C17 looks half as good !
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Congrats on the launch.

Check the oil a few times after messing with the fuel pump before or after being out. You want to make sure there is no fuel leaking down which would overfill the crankcase and cause vibrations.

I think they make anti-vibration plates for these motors, too, if it is just a simple vibration.

Boat looks great.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

First fish in the boat! Stoked to hit this milestone on the first trip with wife, kids and dog on board. Great Father's Day for sure. Maybe best to date.
Attachments
1FF254EF-2299-418A-911C-FBEF7E7D5D24.jpeg
C01A1DAB-DF2A-45FF-9BEE-3EC43F7B52A6.jpeg
9BF968A2-E3BC-472D-B234-17E665E42CE8.jpeg
B5868303-C26E-48F4-B6B4-88965B2567B6.jpeg
D75A758A-2E9F-46B5-A9C2-A036BD08E977.jpeg
Last edited by Dan_Smullen on Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:50 am First fish in the boat! Stoked to hit this milestone on the first trip with wife, kids and dog on board. Great Father's Day for sure. Maybe best to date.
You should be incredibly proud of that boat and your accomplishment. She is a beauty! Nice fish too!

Phil