C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I have a lot more to add when I can put it into words, but the gist of it is, this boat exceeds expectations re: attitude in the water, and her ability jump up on plane and skip along at 32mph.
036A96D5-D125-4A7A-B07E-927B45BE1CC0.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Whoop whoop whoop!

Huge congrats from every angle!

Dan's boat looks and rides amazing(ly)! Due to work and weather i only got a few quick rides but it is smooth as silk at idle speed, jumps on plane in a heartbeat, planes like a dream. Super impressed to see all that hard work come together in such a great boat, it will be at tge center of countless adventures, I'm sure!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Fantastic, that will be a hell of a boat, enjoy !
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Enough to put a smile on anyone's face - great work. Congratulations!
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

There is a little fear in the belly the first time out with your baby. But when she runs and runs right there is no feeling like it.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Beautiful boat sir! Fantastic work!!!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Wow Dan beautiful boat, she sure looks fine in the water. Have you been able to take the motor up to max rpm's yet or are you still in the break in period? The max rpm's for a new Yamaha 115 is 6300 so at top speed your rpm's should be between 6000 and 6300 with the boat loaded as you would normally operate and load it. Take care and enjoy your boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!! Congrats!!! Jeff

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Thank you, Fellas! I officially feel like I am in an exclusive club, in great company. The support from friends and family in the home stretch was as inspiring to me as the excitement of the launch.

Having Jeff and Elaine to assist was amazing, and they were invaluable punching out the last few bugs that kept us from getting moving. Loose wires behind the switches, and bugs in the fuel tank selector valve slowed us down, but no match for some salty hands like Jeff and myself! My only regret is not getting Elaine on a Virginia redfish or two. Maybe next time.

Boat exceeds expectations with a quick jump to plane and comfortable cruise. At one point we had 6 adults on board and easily cruised on plane, ~3000 rpm at 20mph. Looking forward to the next window to get some better calcs on speeds. I know we topped out at 32mph, and I think we were at 48-4900 rpm. I spent very little time messing with trim trying to get more RPM, and I cannot tell you what the specs are on the prop, other than it is aluminum. With some high level stuff like being in the water and running well, optimizing is up next.

Insurance for "invested" value was easy. Basically insured for sum of receipts, plus a little. Policy includes towing and generous liability limits. With a legitimate appraisal I believe it could be insured for comparable market value.

A few pics snapped by Jeff and Elaine. The fresh launch stoke on a beautiful evening and my bro from another mo and our host for the weekend enjoying a beverage.