C12 in Florida

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C12 in Florida

Post by Jeff »

Very nice work!! This is going to be a beautiful little day sail!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

94'325is wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:04 am Made a mast tube of wrapping roughly 5 layers of 12oz biax around a packing tape covered tube and epoxied/glassed it in place. I then filled the bottom of the tube with putty so the mast would sit at the correct height for the boom vang mount to clear the deck. After I installed my gunnels and started shaping them. They will have a teak strip running on the inside face once they are finished being shaped. Pictures are not my strong suit but hopefully they give the general idea.
The tube is similar to what I did for my D5 and I have been pretty happy with it. If you did not build a drain into the bottom of your mast step tube, I would advise doing so. I used a smaller fiberglass tube built around a plastic straw (which was removed after curing), glued in place with lots of putty at the bottom of the tube and then a hole drilled through the drain tube into the mast tube.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Good idea, I was thinking of doing that as well, not a lot of room to get a sponge down in there. I'm going to spend a day cutting/filling/redrilling various drain holes around the boat so that one will be added to the list.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Making progress, the inside is painted (kiwi grip will get a 2nd coat today). All wood in the pictures will be finished bright, I rolled a coat of epoxy last night to seal and apparently lovebugs are attracted to wet epoxy. Lots of sanding/cleaning up the wood before it gets coated but overall I'm happy with how it's turning out. I plan on framing the bow compartments on either side of the mast tube like I did with the center frame as well.
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work 94'325is!!! Beautiful Florida weather for boat building!!! Jeff

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Got my wife to help me flip the boat I realized how bad the graphite bottom I put on 6 months ago looked so I sanded, lightly faired and recoated. A combination of direct sunlight, summertime temps and a black bottom got the graphite/epoxy mix cured fully in about 4 hours. Average surface temperature of around 165-170 degrees F. We then flipped it back over, gave it a good scrubbing and applied primer. A few pinholes need to be filled but overall I'm happy with the fairing on the side. Starting to get closer to the launch date.
Attachments
5-17-20 Primer.jpg
5-17-20 Primer 4.jpg
5-17-20 Primer 2.jpg

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Finished painting the interior and put the first coat of varnish on the decks/gunnels. The CB trunk and interior wood needs varnishing as well but I wanted to see what the decks would look like first. Outside has been faired and primed, the paint is on it's way. Smaller details left but the list is getting smaller.
Attachments
2.JPG
1.JPG

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

She looks great!!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

WOW!!! 8O She'll do for a fishing barge! :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yes!!! A very nice looking fishing boat!!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne