Adelie Builders Question

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Adelie Builders Question

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Now that I start sailing my Wilde Qualle I am not sure if I should mount 2 toe straps in the cockpit from the companionway towards the transom. Have you all mounted these toe straps as mentioned in the building notes ? Have you been in a situation that your Adelie was heeling so much to need these toe straps ? I do not expect strong winds here on my nearby lakes but it bugs me if I need them. Hopefully George Glen and Salvatore can chime in as you three are sailing in coastal areas of oceans and I would value your opinion and experience concerning sailing with or without toe straps.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Adelie Builders Question

Post by das boot »

I do not think it is much of a problem I have had mine healed over quite a bit from time to time but never to the point I was uncomfertable with it mind you I have that back rest on my boat that helps but was never woried that it might go over. Most of the time it stays flat on the water.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Most of the time it stays flat on the water.
You need to get out more. 8)
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Thank you George for your information that it does not heel very much. But I would like to know if you installed and used such a toe strap or because of your backrest you forgot to install it altogether. Most probably Tony is right one must sail a lot then I find out if I need a toe strap or not.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Hi Karl. You don't mean backrest-straps? Are you asking about a toe-strap? As in: on the cockpit floor to hook your feet under and hike out?
No, I don't think you will want a toe-strap. The Adelie 14 is wide for its length...what you really want is a tiller extension. To enable you to slide yourself away from centerline to counterbalance the wind...out on those big wide seats.
The drawback is you won't often be in wind strong enough to utilize it. I prefer the tiller without one (until I need it). Perhaps there are removable ones available?