Facebooks Group?

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Facebooks Group?

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I hate to even, as FB is probably responsible for the death of many a great forum, but I can’t help but ask...

Are any of y’all members of a FB boat building Group?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Facebooks Group?

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes BUT . . .
- Facebook is a very poor platform for technical support or technical advice
- FB is full of self-proclaimed experts that dish out real garbage. I don't even try to correct them. If somebody is naive enough to use FB for anything serious, he will pay the price in wasted materials and labor. From that point of view, Facebook is dangerous.
- Information is spread all over. Anybody can start a group. There must be 100 groups about amateur boat building.
- Many FB posters have bad manners, use bad language
- There is some kind of censorship on FB, I don't like their political leanings.

FB is for short attention span people or moments. It can be good to stay in touch with friends. It is through FB that I learned that Richard Woods boat was damaged in the Bahamas and I use the same group to check on other friends.
I am a member of some groups, for example Trawler Living and Cruising but nobody in his right mind discusses serious technical stuff in that FB group. For that, we go to trawlerforum.com which is moderated and where the fakes ones are kicked out quickly.
For anything technical about building in epoxy-plywood and foam, we have this forum.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jay Patten's group on fb is plywood boat buiding?

Good group.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, I belong to that one too. Those groups are fine to look at pictures of projects.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

jacquesmm wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 am Yes, I belong to that one too. Those groups are fine to look at pictures of projects.
I see your point and couldn’t agree more. FB for pics and hero shots, established forum with knowledgeable base for how tos and advice.

Thanks.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I hope nobody misunderstands: I use Facebook but it has a very different purpose than this forum. I like to read about other peoples projects on Facebook, look at the pictures etc. In the Jaysen plywood building group, there must be 20 or 30 FS18, FS17 and more under construction and I like to see their progress. Most of them also post here in the non-technical section but our forum is more specialized and certainly more technical.
Some days, I am in that "low attention span" disposition and cruise those groups on Facebook.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

When I was about to give up on finishing the Spira build (2016?), I read a great post (Spira's FB page) from someone from this forum. They said to checkout the BBC website help area. I had forgotten I had bought plans for the FL14 in 2005(?). Wish I had joined then. So FB did good, but it's who you know and CAN trust..... This forum and BBC has helped so many builders, FB is just for fun!

It's funny some of the advice that is given!
*PT plywood is best for boat building as long as you use polyester on it.*
*Nails or screws of any type will work, they will be covered over by the resin or paint*

I never finished the Spira build, started the FS14 SandPiper and splashed her! Never looked back!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

No Russian Trolls on here either!

I'm continually impressed with positive support offered by all, to all on this forum. You all have done well!

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

FB is really destroying the archiving and organization of content from a great many contributors. Forums are so much better; I'm on some that go back 20 years with plenty of info and how-to that is still valid.

FB isn't indexed or categorized in any way, and anything past a few weeks may as well not exist.

The marketplace has essentially killed Craigslist too. And it is terrible for non-commodity items, which you may have to look far and wide for. At least the groups can condense some of the good marketplace items if you belong to the right ones.

FB is the devil. rant over.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I occasionally post stuff there, usually when I've exceeded three beers and don't have the patience to type up a proper post and upload pics in a structured manner. As a matter of fact I got busted doing exactly that by someone in this very thread.

I realized one big group is run by Jeff Spira which surprised me - I didn't realize that anybody actually built his boats (no offense Captain UB). The bill of materials on those things is basically printed on a bunch of red flags, as far as I'm concerned.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349