AD14 - Ciulnita

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD14 - Ciulnita

Post by aurimpres »

I've replaced the cables with ones without any coating so It's ok now.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:07 am I guess I'm the contrarian here. other than "do it right" I don't see what the issues could possibly be with cable clamps. This is not a high performance boat with oversized sails. Using cable clamps is inexpensive, easy to source, and easy to setup/repair. What am I missing?
Nicopress is slightly stronger and much cleaner. Less likely to snag lines, sails, clothing, life jackets, skin, etc.

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Hi all.
First sail this year after the lock-down.
Just a few hour sail in light wind with 6 knots and 12 gusts and 2 feet waves:
-upwind speed was maximum 3-4 knots
- downwind with 4-5 knots
I don't know the maximum boat speed but 5 knots seems good for me. 4 adults and a child in the boat and it was so stable in that conditions.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Hh7fJsOtMsI[/youtube]

Things I don't like:
- the sail it's not easy to raise from the cover. The top batten doesn't allow the sail to be folded as I want.
- the mast it's to flexible
- having a drunk friend does not help :D

Few improvements made in the last weeks:
- new paint
- removed the handrails as were damaged in the winter (made from cheap birch plywood)
- cover for the seats and deck

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats, looks like a nice day on the water!!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks for the report, the boat looks good.
Some remarks:
it's a small boat, theoretical hull speed for a boat that size is about 4 knots. You may go faster in strong winds but not often.
Furling the sail underway on such a small boat is not always easy because of the boat size but you will become familiar with. A couple more sails and it will feel easier.

And last, the most important one: mast flexing.
I was following your build, saw the partner, all was good but I missed the part where you modified the mast and cut it to be a deck stepped mast.
That is a problem.
Also, I do not specify a wooden mast: it's Al or carbon fiber but we can live with a wooden mast if it has some biaxial and carbon as specified on the plans.
The flexing problem is because the mast is not supported properly: it should be buried in the cabin, stepped on the keel.
I see in the picture that the mast is twisting the tabernacle out of shape.
You did cut the mast, it is too late to step it on the keel. Until you fix it, sail with what you have but reduce sail quickly when it blows.

I would scavenge local boat yards to find an Al profile close what I specify. I always see abandoned masts laying around when I don't need them. That should cost you less than $ 100.00 and you can move the fittings around. I often see them listed on Craigslist.

Besides that, your boat looks great. Don't worry too much about the mast. My son in law sailed 2.5 times around the world and he kept changing his rig and masts all the time. He went through at least 7 rigs in 20 years.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Thank you, Jacques.

I know I did a mistake cuting the mast but it's the past now. I wanted a solution for me to be able to raise it without help. I have the bottom of the mast still on the keel.

I live in a european country where there are no used spare parts for boats, especialy for the sailboats. I had to make my own mast or to import one with great cost.

I saw people using AL electricity posts as masts or other long AL pipe. But again I did not find any supliers for sail tracks or a replacement locally.

Most of the parts I imported from other european countries; even the SS and the delrin for the centerboard were imported. A damn ss pipe 20 cm long 😀

I will make some adjustments next time and post reports.

Now I need to find some good sail battens as this is the second time I snaped 2. ones made by myself from laminated pine with 1/4' fiberglass layers.

Building the boat was the easiest part but rigging it takes forever 😂

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry, I missed the location.
I understand that supplies are difficult to get. It is remarkable you did find most of them. You may not have another choice than wood.
I agree that the mats may be difficult to rig alone if it is solid wood with the sail attached.
Anyway, keep looking, you may find an alumunium profile somewhere.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice Adelie brother! Her paint looks great! I love it when Jacques comments on our builds-pro wisdom there. So far, my boat “Tipsy” w/ her junk sail works like a dream. Taking her out on Friday I’ll post pics

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Beautiful boat and congratulations to finish it so fast. It took me 6 Years to finish my Adelie.
I wish you just as much fun sailing your boat as I have.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433