AD14 - Ciulnita

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD14 - Ciulnita

Post by aurimpres »

The mast partner was installed easy, per plan, from three panels glued in position one by one.

Next thing to do was the window openings on cabin sides.

Sanding and new layer of epoxy gel

A light fiber cloth on rudder

And I had to cut and fit again the cabin sole because the foam caused deformation on it.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

Your boat looks real good you should enjoy it once you get it going keep up the god work added another one to the fleet

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Wow, that's great! Your pictures show really high quality work. Good job. I liked how your real boat looks like the model you made.

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Thank you all!
For a first time builder i'm satisfied with the result. Working outside and with limited time and tools for the build it's all I could get from this.
Now, I have some issues with the access on water as there are so limited places in country where I could put the boat in water. I need minimum 4 people to help me get the boat in and out of the trailer and I would like to do it alone when help not available.

Back to the build:
Painted the cabin sides and cover the windows with lexan

I was thinking that some silicone will seal the leaxan in place but I ended up with a mess. :D I've put a rubber band on the other window and looks good. I will replece this silicone next year.

Cut the seat hatches

You can see the boat used as storage for all the tools and materials

Inside paint (the cabin sole needs sanding and a cot of epoxy/paint)

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

At the end of 2018 I've started making the mast and boom.
Mast from 4x4cm pine 4m joined 4 for a 6ish m long post. Rounded and tapered to 4-5 cm at the top with 8cm base.
Boom was constructed from 3m long thinner stingers resulting in a 4x8 cm. Sanded and fiberglassed with 2 layers light tape.
I don't have pictures from construction but here it's the mast with plastic wrap after glassing. Almost straight and round :D

When making mast I did what every newbie carpenter can do: hurt myself.
On the second day of using an electric planer I've decided to disable the safety switches as it was hard to work pressing 2 buttons. As a result I end up cutting the top of my middle finger of the left hand. No bone affected but say goodbye to guitarist profession :D

The mast and boom were finished and fitted for photo-session

In one day I had to do something on the cabin interior and I've come up with a shelf. Not great, not terrible

That was all for 2018
Last edited by aurimpres on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Very impressive indeed!
Sorry about the finger!
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice work (except for the finger part) :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bogieman wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:50 am Very nice work (except for the finger part) :D
I don’t know. He still HAS the finger so it wasn’t “bad”. I know a few “8 finger Bob” woodworkers.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Thanks, but I'm glad that I still have all 10 fingers. I have some relatives that have similar issues with fingers but none with missing ones.
Until recent years all the woodworking, as a hobby or as a professional, were made exclusively on hand tools and work was relatively safe.
I'm so scared about the power tools, especially the ones with rotary blades, and I always work with care. But sometimes accidents happens. I have a lot of scars from cuts, burn marks, I always hit things with my head and step in nails. :D

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

First time I put the mast in place, on the boat, I was really hard to do it by myself as it's heavy and long. That time I was thinking to have a more practical solution to rise the mast and I end up with a tabernacle system.
So, I've cut the mast 30 cm above the mast partner and glued plywood battens. This first mast part it's secured with stainless screws from the inside.
The first design was not great and it snapped when I raised the sail on the first time. Now I've made it out of hardwood and steel plates.

From galvanized steel I've made a semi-detachable support, don't know the name of it, for the standing rigging.

Then I've glued and cutting the sail track

Next thing was to construct a bowsprit, not per plan, but detachable.

Light dacron purchased and with the sew the sail out of it.

Some time lapses of mast track construction:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/WwQoy_cJTfM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/VJYLNQTq1Kc[/youtube]