AD14 - Ciulnita

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD14 - Ciulnita

Post by terrulian »

Impressive work. That row boat would have been enough for many of us.
Tony

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Nice.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Have you slept onboard? Just curious because I plan to sleep onboard Tipsy a lot

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Bogieman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:52 pm Have you slept onboard? Just curious because I plan to sleep onboard Tipsy a lot
If you take Jaysen with you then you will have to sleep with one eye open :roll:

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

I didn't slept yet in the boat but I indent to do so, next year. My plan it's to park the boat in Greece for the warm season.

In august 2017 a violent storm hit the location of the build site. Half on the roof flew in the neighborhood. Luckily no damage to the boat but it was really wet. Pieces of the old roof were stored every were and it was hard to do something on the project.

Back to the boat build:

I poured foam under sole compartment but I only had construction foam, fire resistant at least, and epoxy glued cabin sole.
Looking good next day I've continued with the rest of the build but, a week later, the foam expanded more than I've anticipated. So, the sole it's not straight but curved, pushed by the foam. The forward section was cut out next year, to level the foam, because it was to bad.

I did a bad job on plywood management and I've end up with not enough material: I had to join pieces to make the cabin sides.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Love it! Thanks for sharing

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Follows a big lot of pictures for the rest of 2017 build, September and October.

It was in rush to get the boat ready for the winter as it can be very harsh on my place. Seats were done as I saw on other builders here on forum: cutting, filling and sanding. Big thanks to all.
There's on mistake on the seats: the stingers between frame C and transom are flush with the deck opening in frame D. When I put the pieces for the curvature I realised that it will not finish in top of stingers.

On the cabin top I laid the light fiber cloth and on the rest the biaxial.

Next thing to do was an ugly companionway just to keep the inside dry.

The deck

I was planing to have to big opening in the deck to easy storage and I did not epoxy the pieces but sealed with sanitary silicone.

Last thing to do on 2017 before winter was to put a coat of epoxy gel, with aluminium filler.

That was all for 2017 and most of the exterior work was done

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Boat build resumed on may 2018 when I flip it. Simple job done by myself alone with couples of Ratchet Straps on bow and stem.

Time for cutting the CB opening and glass the hull

Gluing the keel and primed the surface

Antifouling paint

Gloss paint and flip it back in July 2018

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thank you for posting your pics/ thread. I am almost finished with my AD16 so I'm familiar with every step of the building process. It's neat to see how each builder chooses to build their Adelie. I can tell from your detailed pics that you did a very precise job putting her together. She looks very well done and solid. Your work was/ is much more precise than mine especially where everything comes together at the bow. For me that part didn't turn out as good as I hoped so I ended up rounding everything to hide my lack of precision.In the end it turned out ok just not as crisp as yours.

Bogie

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Well, I learn a lot this years about wood working and fiber glassing but, still, the work was mediocre. To many mistakes not fixed, wrong decisions along the build and not enough time. Sometimes I have to improvise just to get things right. Some panels are not straight where it supposed to be and others are straight instead of curved. :D
But I enjoyed every step of the process and now I feel like I lost something. I build it for myself and I don't care about imperfections and, oh boy, there are many.
Unfortunately I may have to wait until next spring to gail again as it's difficult to get it on the water now. This it's a lake boat or in calm sea water.
I've tried in a river, just motoring with an 2.5 outboard, and it was not fun.

Good luck with your build, Bogie.
Aurelian