C17 in New Zealand.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 in New Zealand.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:43 am Looks good! Did you laminate in a form?

Any notable takeaways after laminating with cf?
Biggest difference is that there is no clear indication that you’ve got enough epoxy on. It basically looks the same wet or dry. Prewet what you put it on, and measure out the correct amount of epoxy as well. It’s much stiffer than glass, but for something like this compounded plywood with framing probably wouldn’t need it. It does allow you to reduce framing though. I didn’t want 2 by 4s overhead. I’ll likely cf tape or glue an aluminium strip underneath to make a sandwich of sorts.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:50 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:43 am Looks good! Did you laminate in a form?

Any notable takeaways after laminating with cf?
Biggest difference is that there is no clear indication that you’ve got enough epoxy on. It basically looks the same wet or dry. Prewet what you put it on, and measure out the correct amount of epoxy as well. It’s much stiffer than glass, but for something like this compounded plywood with framing probably wouldn’t need it. It does allow you to reduce framing though. I didn’t want 2 by 4s overhead. I’ll likely cf tape or glue an aluminium strip underneath to make a sandwich of sorts.
Best way is to add a neat coat over the carbon so any sanding won't hurt it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Out of curiosity, I see that your cockpit gunwales and motor well bulkhead look horizontal, you have removed the camber of the original plan, and kept it on the front deck, is that right ? I'm currently considering what camber to use on mine, probably half the original design.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

News says you guys are having bad flooding. I hope it is not happening in your area.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

OlivierP wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:23 pm Out of curiosity, I see that your cockpit gunwales and motor well bulkhead look horizontal, you have removed the camber of the original plan, and kept it on the front deck, is that right ? I'm currently considering what camber to use on mine, probably half the original design.
That's right. Frame C is pretty much as designed, except that instead of the designed cabin, I had the walls a bit closer to the sides, and about 150mm lower than designed. It's high enough to give shelter from the wind, but low enough that one can stand and cast over, or reach forward to get the anchor. A canvas canopy from the t-top to cover the windscreen is an option for camping, if I want to.

Frame D and the motorwell are cut straight and the gunwale curves between C and D from cambered to horizontal. With the open transom I think this looks better, and it's definitely better for sitting on. The gunwale is a great height to sit on and fish in good weather.

I did lose some storage space in the boat when I cut the transom straight, but it's easier to climb over and fix an auxiliary outboard to, and there's still room there for tote tanks and battery. There's also a little bit of side storage, a compartment under the skippers seat, a 30gallon cooler compartment on the left side (drain out the side), storage under the berths forward, some storage in the consoles, and the anchor locker forward.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm News says you guys are having bad flooding. I hope it is not happening in your area.
Thanks for the concern.
I'm in Canterbury, about halfway down the South Island. We don't normally catch the cyclones here. In general NZ only gets a bad Cyclone once every generation or so. Last time was 1988. This one has certainly casued a lot of widespread damage. Auckland especially can't catch a break with really bad flooding only two weeks ago.

Anyway, so far all we've had is a gentle rain.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Finally contracted sanding fatigue and put two coats of bed liner on. This is Bullyliner, a waterborne rubber coating. Brush or spray on and hides minor scratches and marks. Two coats a day. I’d recommend it for places where you want a tough coating and aren’t afraid of workboat style.
Attachments
02841791-4C15-4436-A3E3-68A741969A87.jpeg
36BE16A2-35AE-47E0-876F-76AEA8B1F727.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Good US product no VOC's like others. Yours looks good. Did you use the light gray?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Lightning grey yes. I’m using the last of it for another coat today, looking to touch up pinholes first and then wherever I’m expecting extra wear. I brushed up and under the gunwales as well, mostly just for protection vs UV reflection.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Took it out of the tunnel house for a sand and wash prior to paint. Few bits and pieces that I’d like to fill first. At the moment it’s a ten foot finish.
Attachments
C891DEF0-7E8D-4E5C-9E3B-4EC6B8D4D9BE.jpeg
2FDD81CA-AB2D-4F38-B5EF-8130CB6D9728.jpeg