C17 in New Zealand.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 in New Zealand.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Cooler is done, and the benches are almost good to go. I'll paint inside the lockers first. The Cooler has got foam all around and is about 3.5'x1'x1.3' in dimensions.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Photos.
Attachments
069B20B8-94C5-41EE-9DBF-87CFFA1D0BF4.jpeg
F4D8618A-6308-49C9-9BA8-DE885E3AB722.jpeg
D14E588F-A379-43DF-BF64-C3C9FB092ECB.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good OWT. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Front berths dry fit. All credit to the designer as I cut to the plans and planed to an epoxy fit in half an hour. 200g glass under and some reinforcement under for the hatch and cutout. I’ll glass in the little stringer as I expect that to get stood on from time to time. May need support to the sole under. I’ll be storing the aux outboard underneath stern side of frame b.
Attachments
EDA2E7C1-8417-495E-B01C-3E4687EA2AD6.jpeg
A0235A80-A11C-4903-81D8-493FABB838F3.jpeg
DA14BB10-4100-4B57-8302-F4CDFDCDCA18.jpeg

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Looking good. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Big shout out to BBC who sent me the full digital plans for the CX19 when I just asked for a peek at the developed panels and offsets for the cabin. I will be building the cabin like the CX19, but with a bit (maybe 100mm) more height under (compensating for the smaller hull side) to get the bare minimum sitting headroom under. Depending on how it looks on the boat it may be more slouching headroom. :P. I will spend very little time in the cabin and don't want to compromise looks for comfort much in this case.

The sheerline is quite similar between the two, but the Cx19 has wider gunwales and obviously is a bit bigger overall. The cabin is specced from 6mm ply, decks and cabin top cut from the same pieces. Assembled stitch and glue fashion and then removed from boat to glass the inside. Toughened glass windscreen on top. Since my boat has a standing console starboard and a bench to port I may put in a half windscreen.

This is the scaled drawing full size from the old study plans. I found this higher quality version thanks to wayback machine.
CX19.PDF
(52.48 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:50 pm I will be building the cabin like the CX19, but with a bit (maybe 100mm) more height under (compensating for the smaller hull side) to get the bare minimum sitting headroom under. Depending on how it looks on the boat it may be more slouching headroom. :P. I will spend very little time in the cabin and don't want to compromise looks for comfort much in this case.
Good call.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic I want to make a suggestion to you. Since the CX19 is larger than the C17 make sure the cabin does not extend to far back as you don't lose deck space on 0.your C17. I like you prefer the CX19 cabin over the C17 cabin just be careful not to lose to much deck space and the C17 is one of my favorites and have the plans, you are doing a nice job on her.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

From frame A to Frame C is 1830mm. A bit more as it's round the sides. I have two scrap pieces of plywood from hull panels that are 2400mm long. The CX19 cabin is 2885mm long. That leaves about 600mm from Frame C back to act as a coaming or wing. The windscreen can sit on this and light targa top or bimini overhead.

Once the side decks are on, I'll build frame supports at B and C and run a batten from frame corner to frame corner up to the front. I'll take measurements from the boat and the cx19/c17 cabin side and use that to mark a template. Then dry fit, check and plane into shape before using the good ply. I can use the C17 cabin as a developed panel but will also have a look at the CX19 offsets and see how that fits.

Hopefully it will work. The roof is easier as I'll have the shape from leftover ply after cutting out the decks, cut oversize bend to fit and then rout off the excess.

If I get it all done I'll try to write down the final offsets for any future builders.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Finally got a fine warm weekend to glass in the front berths. Taped in with 400g biax cut to under 10cm width and a 200g woven tape over. I put a very light cloth over the whole lot, more for checking insurance and an indication that everything is properly wet out. The light cloth uses no more epoxy and not much more labour. I had to set up a fan heater and plastic drop cloth to cure it late afternoon once I lost the sun.

It would have been much cleaner to glass both sides in the garage. In the event I had a lot of wrinkles to cut out this morning and so put some fairing on top. I’ll probably not be able to do much until Spring, but will do a bit more minor fairing. Most of it will be painted white and some will be covered with a fabric lining or squabs.
Attachments
7288296E-B83C-40E9-A9FB-12C06F573161.jpeg
3A606503-7C1C-4C24-9630-DD3D326E3B8C.jpeg