Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Jaysen's Mini 580 plan

Post by Netpackrat »

Jaysen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 pm 5. Chaise Marie (if I'm lucky) -- Shannon 37 cutter ketch for showing my wife the world one ocean at a time. I'd like to convert this to an electric drive with an on board diesel power plant with non-dino based options for power gen.
I would not want to lobotomize my boat with an electric motor, but it seems to be all the rage these days.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It’s less about removing the diesel (note the generator) on that boat, and more about ensuring future compliance for long term stays in other countries. I’m not a tree hugger about motors, I just don’t like them on boats. Personal preference.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Anything less than six boats means you need more :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And I was sooooo close!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:53 am
Jaysen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 pm 5. Chaise Marie (if I'm lucky) -- Shannon 37 cutter ketch for showing my wife the world one ocean at a time. I'd like to convert this to an electric drive with an on board diesel power plant with non-dino based options for power gen.
I would not want to lobotomize my boat with an electric motor, but it seems to be all the rage these days.
Not to mess with the thread, but electric is really spendy.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:53 am
Not to mess with the thread, but electric is really spendy.
So is being refused entry to a planned destination or required to leave early. EU regs are attempting to greatly limit the use of fossils as main propulsion for personal craft. You can have a fossil generator if you are over a certain size or a distance cruiser. Last read I was offered said this would happen in ES 2028 or so. If I was racing as a professional, my race boat would be considered commercial. But my cruiser would not. I expect most of the med will head this route 2030 if ES actually does it and it survives court challenge.

Honestly, it isn't as expensive as most folks think IF you take a more DIY approach (which many can not). I am in a unique position to leverage network relationships to help with reducing cost. :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I've done some sailing with electric auxiliary boats. The club where I teach had two or three for awhile, but the tech wasn't really there yet. They take a little getting used to because, like the cars that are blowing ICE cars off the line, they have instant torque. What this means is that cavitation will be a problem at first while you're figuring it out...which takes, you know, five minutes. There is that range anxiety of course, but batteries are already very much improved since I had my experience. As are solar panels. You can do a degree charge your batteries underway, whereas there are no diesel sources during an ocean passage. One of the overlooked but major advantages is that the weight can be distributed all over the boat, and also doesn't vary as fuel is consumed, which would add some major flexibility to naval architects.
I don't know what "lobotomize" means in this context.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Keep in mind that the boat that will be hybrid will be
1. The house for a while.
2. Will still have fuel.
3. Will be a known "big water" type.

Much of the tech will be lightyears beyond where it is today by the time I ready for it. I've already been told that I have to comply to current bat/engine tech so none of the new stuff for storage/propulsion will be on the 580. I'm limited to generation and "subsystem" storage innovation for the 580. I understand the reasoning for this and fully support it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The electric engines for the Skoota would never deliver the range.

So, for a sailboat, things are totally different.

And, also, your boat is hull speed limited; so the electric motor power requirements are also less. But charging batteries for a raceboat is costly. The panels need homes and the batteries and equipment add weight versus a 2 gallon fuel jug at 12#. Even motor windings can be heavy.

But you are definitely more suited for electric than my operation. We have seen a few Wood's builders come online and talk electric, but most of them see the costs and run fast.

Is this torqueedo style or inboard? Isn't drag of a prop and issue in the latter?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The race boat requires outboard. I will be using petrol for the race boat for the reasons you state.

the electric discussion is for the long term "travel the world and grow old" boat. That's good 10+ years off at this point. By then there will be options.