Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Mini 580 plan

Post by Jaysen »

My neighbor (build site) is assisting with his resources in wholesale lumber. Once we get a couple quotes and compare actual weights I’ll report back.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I was at a (state?) park on the Florida panhandle near Pensacola that had an interactive display on ship building wood. They had three one-foot cubes of wood tied with rope up to pulley and down to a hand rail so visitors could lift each one. One was yellow pine, one white oak, and one live oak. As expected, the oak was much heavier than the pine, but I was shocked at how much heavier the live oak was compared to the white oak- dense stuff.

Very interesting, and nothing like hefting a piece for yourself to drive home the differences. I don't know which would be better for your build, just that there is a big difference between them (and don't use live oak!). :D
Hank

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I seem to recall that oak doesn't take epoxy very well.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Thanks for that...I'll have to look into it as I recently took an axe to a branch from a fallen live oak which I am ripping into flitches which I'll let dry. It's going to be a bunch of small pieces, only enough to make a box, but knowing me I may have used epoxy instead of wood glue.
Unlike Jaysen, I'm not too concerned with the box sinking.
Tony

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:45 am I seem to recall that oak doesn't take epoxy very well.
I'm not sure that's true, but it has been discussed before. I recall looking that up and seeing some sources refuting the claim.
Hank

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It looks like there are potential issues, but proper prep plays a part. It looks like the oils in the wood are a factor; here's a discussion on epoxy/white oak:

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/so ... ighty-oak/
Hank

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

Post by mhd »

Jaysen,

I somehow hadn't read this thread previously. The information in here is incredibly useful - including Jacques poignant stories, comments and recommendations.

Obviously you thought about this in huge detail. While I'm not interested in racing, there was a reason we chose to build the VG23. Sailing a passage (or more) is the dream at the end of the day. I'd be very grateful if you have any advice with this in mind, as we continue with the build.

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.