Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

Post by Jaysen »

Some of you may have seen me make a post about a new one design class called "Mini 580". The class is developed by Don McIntyre of GGR fame (and many other achievements). The goal stated in my words is "to have an 'everyman' international race class that reduce the cost of entry to less than the price of a car".

The class is being opened for design on March 14. I'm hoping to get a hull number in the low digits and add the class to the Charleston Ocean Race Association (CORA) program. If all goes well, I may be able to enter the 2024 circumnavigation race. That's my aspirational goal.

So what am I doing here?

This forum has more knowledge, given generously, than just about anyplace I've ever seen. Jeff and the BBC crew have graciously allowed me to use the forum as the build tracker while I work on the build (and all the other nonsense associated with a race team). BBC will be my supplier of materials and I hope to get a few speedups via their CNC and suppliers for sails, trailers and other things.

My wife blames Scott (Boogieman), Tony (turrelian), and Dave (Fuzz) for this.
* Scott because she didn't realize I already knew about the 580 but I replied to his post
* Tony because I keep mentioning him as someone I hope to mine for information
* Dave because Alaska didn't dissuade me from cold ocean water.
She would also love to have you all down for dinner sometime. She said that with a look that would make me nervous. :)

That's my big plan anyway. Let's see where this goes. I'll post a bit more later today as we solidify the formal plans.

Fellow Class Mini 580 builders, see my formal welcome and links to information in this post.
Last edited by Jaysen on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Mini 580 plan

Post by terrulian »

You went sailing/boating in Alaska?
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

That's great news and a great plan! Can't wait to follow along (and help with labor when I can)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:20 am You went sailing/boating in Alaska?
No sailing, but Fuzz took me "fishing". I'm not convinced there are fish in the water up there so it might be called "bait drowning". It was "warm" for them (not for me) and the weather was decent. Their normal waves had me a bit green, but in typical "Jaysen is an idiot" fashion I enjoyed the experience.

As much as I have said "the earth can recover from our climate nonsense" what I saw with my own eyes gave me pause. It's hard to deny the negative impact when you look at a picture beautiful picture of a glacier from a couple decades back,and, being in the exact location of the picture, you now see two mountain peaks separated by a valley. A deep valley. It's saddening and furthers my determination to be more conscious of my energy use. To the point that I want this boat to be fossil and combustion free for non-heat related thing (cooking/cabin heat). More on that when we get into the build...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bogieman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am That's great news and a great plan! Can't wait to follow along (and help with labor when I can)
Mrs is expecting you to help break in the hull for the first couple sails... Just warning you.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Covid has made one thing easier for me... the go live for the class is now 9a ET (1400 Amsterdam). It will be an online only thing now.

There is a new render on FB that confirms my belief that the overall spec is a slightly modified sb18/i550 style 5 panel hull. As a one design class much of the customization that you have with sb18 will be limited but I'm ok with that.

At this point we know we have the following items to resolve in order from "oh fork" to "eh"
1. Need to secure a build location: this will either be rented space in CHS or moving back to our home for 6+ mo. I'd prefer the latter.
2. Need to lose about 60lbs and get down to about 160lbs. Not too concerned with that, but it will be a hard thing.
3. Looks like I need to sell the MG and get a truck (or just buy a truck).
4. Need to get CORA engaged to add the class to the race roster. Not sure I'll be ready for race week but I'd like be able to have it listed by then.
5. Need to set up the formal team and get insurance. That is one I'm hoping to delay a bit

I do have some folks keeping me in check (aka not letting me quit my job). Same folks that are working on a side project so we know we all work well together. They aren't into sailing, but they are super supportive. Depending on how things go they are likely to be involved with the race team as well. We shall see.
Last edited by Jaysen on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Sounds like things are getting serious. 8)
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:34 am
Bogieman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am That's great news and a great plan! Can't wait to follow along (and help with labor when I can)
Mrs is expecting you to help break in the hull for the first couple sails... Just warning you.
Yes!!! I’ll be ready

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I don’t know squat about sailing but I’ll support your project. Sounds like fun.
Will commit to donate 3 gallons of epoxy to the build.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

Keep the MG and just buy a truck.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman