Sharkbait PG20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Sharkbait PG20

Post by sharkbait2576 »

Thanks for the compliments everybody. Got some fairing done today. Did one side with quickfair just to try it out and about 5 feet on the other with epoxy and microbaloons. Going to see tomorrow if it'll be worth it to do mostly with quickfair. It is really good stuff to work with. I've done alot of bondo work etc and it's very similar but you can work it a lot longer.
Attachments
FBB97B67-424C-4A3B-9F1B-37BEEEF8FB55_1_105_c.jpeg
718B3109-1827-4971-AA03-5612A6CA0C0E_1_105_c.jpeg
C3E5E9D4-C777-49F3-9DDF-F779105716D1_1_105_c.jpeg
5E40E22A-7122-4D74-8E2B-7AC1E8BB3621_1_201_a.jpeg

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

The quickfair will be easier to sand and it can be sanded much faster after application. The microballoon mixture is much harder, but cheaper.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I've never put pen and pencil to it, but have wondered how much cheaper microballoons are, given their cost plus the cost of the epoxy to mix them in. Worth looking in to given the utility of Quickfair. Still, I liked Cracker Larry's advice to use a looser microballoon mix for flat surfaces to fill the weave.

Dougster

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

FluidDynamic wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 am The quickfair will be easier to sand and it can be sanded much faster after application. The microballoon mixture is much harder, but cheaper.
I agree. I used a glass microballon fairing recipe on my SK14 and, while it was easier to sand than a wood flour+epoxy mix, it was still pretty slow going. Are the phenolithic (red) microballons any better?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Is it really harder to sand micro balloons? I’ve not sanded quickfair. CL told me that if my bbc fairing mix was hard to sand I did put enough of the balloons in the mix.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

Got quited a bit done today. I'm going to use quickfair to do the entire boat. I've done one entire coating over the boat and probably used a little over half of the gallon. This stuff is so much easier to deal with than the epoxy mixture with microballoons. I reworked the front end of the boat and added another layer of biaxial tape. I didn't like the finish and had to sand down to get the shape I wanted so this was the easiest way to build it back with strength. Never hurts to have an extra layer on the bow. I'll be sanding tomorrow, ordering some more quickfair and paint. Going to get the rubrail and spray rail wood tomorrow also.
Attachments
IMG_8541.jpeg
IMG_8540.jpeg
IMG_8539.jpeg
IMG_8538.jpeg

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

Jaysen wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 am Is it really harder to sand micro balloons? I’ve not sanded quickfair. CL told me that if my bbc fairing mix was hard to sand I did put enough of the balloons in the mix.
It's not horrible but yes the quickfair is easier. It is also easier to work with as the consistency is better. Some of that could be my mix. If I need to spend an extra 100 bucks to save myself a lot of sanding and mixing I'm going to. I tried the microballoon mixture just to say I did it.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

BrianC wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am
FluidDynamic wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 am The quickfair will be easier to sand and it can be sanded much faster after application. The microballoon mixture is much harder, but cheaper.
I agree. I used a glass microballon fairing recipe on my SK14 and, while it was easier to sand than a wood flour+epoxy mix, it was still pretty slow going. Are the phenolithic (red) microballons any better?
They were definitely easier than the wood flour mix. I used a manual straight plane with 35 grit and it was cutting it fairly quickly. I need a bigger compressor to run my straight line sander. With that, the work would be quicker for sure. I do as little hand sanding as possible though I do enjoy the shaping I can do with the manual straight line sander. harbor freight has a good one for 7 bucks.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

BTW, I also tried the trick of drilling and injecting the epoxy in any of the places that got air pockets. Worked like a champ. Just used a syringe with a long tip on it.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

A bunch of sanding yesterday. Followed by some more filling and quickfair. I'll get some pics up today.