Page 1 of 1

Sharkbait PG20

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm
by sharkbait2576
Due to some urging, I am starting a thread on the building of the Panga 20. This is my first boat build. I've worked with fiberglass on cars and have done quite a bit of woodworking in the past. I'm currently sanding and getting ready to tape and fiberglass the hull. I'll get some pictures up of the process and add some things from my notes to bring it up to speed. Special thanks to the FluidDynamic thread for all of the help from those guys so far. I'm building it in San Antonio but taking it to the Bahamas when it's done. I plan on building the trailer for it also. It's being built as a spearfishing boat. Thanks.

Jerry

Re: Sharkbait PG20

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm
by FluidDynamic
Looking forward to see some pics. We go to the bahamas every year. Great Exuma.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm Looking forward to see some pics. We go to the bahamas every year. Great Exuma.
We spend a lot of the year in Eleuthera. Lived there full time for 3 years. Miss it every day.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:44 pm
by sharkbait2576
Here are the pictures I have. I'll document as well as possible each day. I'm off of work for a while so I'll try to post each day I'm working. Most days.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm
by sharkbait2576
The rest for now. Now back to sanding.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic thread has definitely helped me. Saved me some time on the epoxy and glass.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm
by Fuzz
sharkbait2576 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm FluidDynamic thread has definitely helped me. Saved me some time on the epoxy and glass.
That is the beauty of this forum. People who will post not only what went well but what went wrong also. You never know how many others are helped either way.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:24 pm
by sharkbait2576
Fuzz wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm
sharkbait2576 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm FluidDynamic thread has definitely helped me. Saved me some time on the epoxy and glass.
That is the beauty of this forum. People who will post not only what went well but what went wrong also. You never know how many others are helped either way.
Agreed. I am looking forward to getting some glass on this thing and gel coating.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:26 pm
by sharkbait2576
6348A087-4060-4D59-8FBB-0710FF765EDD_1_105_c.jpeg

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:28 pm
by sharkbait2576
A few more.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:30 pm
by sharkbait2576
Showing people your garage is a little like walking around in stained underwear. Lol. No judgements.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:08 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got some sanding done tonight and all the edges taped up. Gonna give it a long dry tomorrow and get back at it for a full day the next.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:36 pm
by OneWayTraffic
That's fast progress. I like to go round the next day and fill the weave on the tapes with a loose mix when it's still green. Just enough to fill the weave, no more.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 pm
by FluidDynamic
Looks good. If I didn’t have this forum, I would have made a lot more mistakes.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:27 pm
by FluidDynamic
I spearfish a lot in the Northern Gulf. How do you plan to get in and out of the boat? Ladder of some type? I decided against a ladder for mine since I have another boat I use for diving/spearfishing. Mine will be used mainly for fishing/cruising inshore.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 am
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:27 pm I spearfish a lot in the Northern Gulf. How do you plan to get in and out of the boat? Ladder of some type? I decided against a ladder for mine since I have another boat I use for diving/spearfishing. Mine will be used mainly for fishing/cruising inshore.
In the Bahamas we don't use guns. I use mostly Hawaiian slings and a few pole spears. I have my 20' Bluewave in the Bahamas for Spearfishing. It's beamy and stable laterally so I just hoist myself in the side from a pull up type maneuver to climbing in. I'll probably try it in the panga and see how it works. Some of the other people I've taken out have a little more trouble getting in that way.

The other option is a throwover ladder off the side. Those are a little of a PITA on the boat but work well if you can't just climb in.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm
by sharkbait2576
OneWayTraffic wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:36 pm That's fast progress. I like to go round the next day and fill the weave on the tapes with a loose mix when it's still green. Just enough to fill the weave, no more.
That's a great idea. I'll keep that one in mind for the next round.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:43 pm
by sharkbait2576
Jeff wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 am Nice progress!!! Jeff
Thanks!

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:51 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got the sand done today after taping the seams on the bottom. Decided I’m going to use peelply so waiting on the order of that and a gallon of quick fair. Any recommendations on brands of quick fair. Is one better than the other?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:48 pm
by sharkbait2576
Also, what type of wood do you guys use for the rub rails and spray rails?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:29 pm
by FluidDynamic
System three Quickfair. After you put your fiberglass blanket on the hull, I would use a mixture of micro balloons and epoxy to fair the hull. Some people put a coat of epoxy over the micro balloon mixture to help with pin holes in the future. Quickfair is used to fine tune your fairing after the majority of your fairing is done. It’s really expensive.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:17 pm
by sharkbait2576
sharkbait2576 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:48 pm Also, what type of wood do you guys use for the rub rails and spray rails?
Any help on this one experts?

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:22 pm
by FluidDynamic
You can laminate marine plywwod for rails with scraps. I used southern yellow pine for skeg and spray rails and glassed over it. I've read that some people us douglas fir. There is a good read at the top of the power boats forum about skegs and sprayrails. You can opt not to fiberglass over them if you use a hardwood, but they will have to be replaced every so often. Hopefully glassing over mine will help with longevity.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 am
by Dan_Smullen
sharkbait2576 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:17 pm
sharkbait2576 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:48 pm Also, what type of wood do you guys use for the rub rails and spray rails?
Any help on this one experts?
Not an expert but have experience of doing it, wait for it, once. 😬

I found off cuts of 6mm marine ply works best for my rub rail, although the lamination of them to the hull was a hectic process. I spliced the layers together in length before glueing them wet on wet to the boat.

I used white oak for skeg and strakes. No glass on them, but coated with neat epoxy and faired in with progressively lighter layers of fairing. JM tells me they’ll be fine once primed with epoxy primer.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:45 am
by FluidDynamic
Glassing them adds a lot of time. Using southern yellow pine on mine gave me no choice other to glass them. I think I really spent more time fairing the skeg and spray rails than I did the hull. It's your choice. If I were to make the decision again, I would have used a harder wood as Dan Smullen did.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:55 pm
by OneWayTraffic
For my little dinghy I received the really good advice to trace out the shape of the rubrail before stitching. Just use the top of the sheer panel. Since the pg20 is a straight line in 2D you won’t have any bother. Just rip some straight lines from the same sheet you cut the panels from. Stagger overlaps and optionally glass over once you have the gunwale on.

It’s the change of shape that makes a rubrail tricky to bend. Follow the hull shape and it’s so much easier. I used clothespegs as clamps and almost no pressure.

If you glass over them some bed liner paint or something will provide protection, or you can fair and use the good paint. Your call.

Skeg: I made mine out of marine ply from a rejected stringer layup. There were some gaps in the glue so I had to plane round and glass over. Filled a couple of bubbles then a very thick coat of silica And Aluminum Filled epoxy over. This looked like crap but a grinder and then hand board with 40 grit sorted that. I’ll put a couple thinner coats on and call it done. It will be tough as nails.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:00 pm
by OneWayTraffic
Spray rails can be done from ply and glassed or a hard wood. I’d cut the first layers from ply, Round the edges, glass over. Then either screw or glue a strip of hardwood on top. Maybe some thin teak decking?

Instead of spray rails at the chine I’m trying a little reverse chine, with a putty filled dam. Getting a consistent angle on it is tricky but no one will be under the boat looking at it except me.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:29 am
by Jeff
Sharkbait, QuickFair is a SystemsThree SilverTip Product. It is by far the best fairing product we sell. We have never had a complaint with QuickFair!!! I hope this helps, Jeff

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm
by sharkbait2576
Thanks guys! I've got some supplies on the way. As soon as I get some work done I'll get a few more pictures up.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:45 am
by sharkbait2576
Laid all the glass and used peel ply. Pulled the peel ply and cut off the "skirt". Peel ply is a dream....Learned a lesson. Should've had my wife mix epoxy while I laid the glass. Would've made the process alot faster. I got the whole thing done in about 4 hours. Gonna start on finish work and getting rub rails and spray rail done. Thanks to Jeff and the guys for the fast service getting me the products quickly.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:59 am
by Jeff
sharkbait2576, very nice work and thank you for the kind comments!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 am
by sharkbait2576
Jeff wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:59 am sharkbait2576, very nice work and thank you for the kind comments!!! Jeff
My pleasure. You all are running a great business. I'm driving my dogs down to Florida for our couple month Bahamas trip as soon as they open up. Do you all take visitors? Would love to see your shop.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:43 pm
by Jeff
Absolutely, we welcome customers, visitors & guests!! Look forward to meeting you!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm
by VT_Jeff
FluidDynamic wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:29 pm ...Some people put a coat of epoxy over the micro balloon mixture to help with pin holes in the future....
Sorry to hijack your build thread, Sharkbait, but quick pertinent question:

Anyone ever try Gelmagic for a neat coat instead of raw epoxy? It applies mush easier, no drips, just not sure if it will be as good or if it may be prone to pinhole like the fairing compounds.

Jeff

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:57 pm
by sharkbait2576
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm
FluidDynamic wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:29 pm ...Some people put a coat of epoxy over the micro balloon mixture to help with pin holes in the future....

Anyone ever try Gelmagic for a neat coat instead of raw epoxy? It applies mush easier, no drips, just not sure if it will be as good or if it may be prone to pinhole like the fairing compounds.

Jeff
No worries. Love to see if anybody has used it.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm
by VT_Jeff
Sharkbait, question on the peel ply over the biaxial cloth: what was the bottom-line effect, will it save you from needing to sand/fair or was it mainly to remove excess epoxy form the weave? Also, how hard was it getting it applied and smooth over those large surfaces? I played with the stuff once on my last boat when i was still pretty green and really struggled with it, always considering trying again.

Thanks,

jeff

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:58 pm
by sharkbait2576
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm Sharkbait, question on the peel ply over the biaxial cloth: what was the bottom-line effect, will it save you from needing to sand/fair or was it mainly to remove excess epoxy form the weave? Also, how hard was it getting it applied and smooth over those large surfaces? I played with the stuff once on my last boat when i was still pretty green and really struggled with it, always considering trying again.

Thanks,

jeff
What I have learned with epoxy is better a little too much than too little. The peelply makes it so my next layer can go on with minimal sanding. I got done with the epoxy and glass on the whole boat using slow hardener. One side was a little slow absorbing because it had already been drying for an hour or so. The other side went down easy. I used a couple of credit cards and me and my wife smoothed it out. I wasn't particularly careful with the side cuts. I made the longer sheet for the bottom and partial sides before laying glass. I think folks probably put too much thought into the peelply. It's not a huge deal if you end up with a couple of bubbles here and there. You just have to lightly sand those spots later. This was my first time with peelply. Definitely a time saver for sanding. It seems to smooth the surface to an even finish also.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:35 pm
by Dan_Smullen
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Jeff
I’m gonna help with the hijack, just for a minute...

My little experience with Gel Magic is that it’s a great adhesive, but much harder to sand than epoxy or the other usual things we like to spread.

Back to you Sharkbait! Glass is looking good!

A guy I know who does boat work professionally is always telling me, “ya gotta use peel ply!” Supposed to be a great time saver.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:13 pm
by FluidDynamic
It definitely takes longer to apply, but the time it saves in sanding is worth it. I've only used it on filets and biaxial tape.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:19 pm
by sharkbait2576
Thanks for the compliments everybody. Got some fairing done today. Did one side with quickfair just to try it out and about 5 feet on the other with epoxy and microbaloons. Going to see tomorrow if it'll be worth it to do mostly with quickfair. It is really good stuff to work with. I've done alot of bondo work etc and it's very similar but you can work it a lot longer.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 am
by FluidDynamic
The quickfair will be easier to sand and it can be sanded much faster after application. The microballoon mixture is much harder, but cheaper.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 am
by Dougster
I've never put pen and pencil to it, but have wondered how much cheaper microballoons are, given their cost plus the cost of the epoxy to mix them in. Worth looking in to given the utility of Quickfair. Still, I liked Cracker Larry's advice to use a looser microballoon mix for flat surfaces to fill the weave.

Dougster

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am
by BrianC
FluidDynamic wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 am The quickfair will be easier to sand and it can be sanded much faster after application. The microballoon mixture is much harder, but cheaper.
I agree. I used a glass microballon fairing recipe on my SK14 and, while it was easier to sand than a wood flour+epoxy mix, it was still pretty slow going. Are the phenolithic (red) microballons any better?

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 am
by Jaysen
Is it really harder to sand micro balloons? I’ve not sanded quickfair. CL told me that if my bbc fairing mix was hard to sand I did put enough of the balloons in the mix.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:14 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got quited a bit done today. I'm going to use quickfair to do the entire boat. I've done one entire coating over the boat and probably used a little over half of the gallon. This stuff is so much easier to deal with than the epoxy mixture with microballoons. I reworked the front end of the boat and added another layer of biaxial tape. I didn't like the finish and had to sand down to get the shape I wanted so this was the easiest way to build it back with strength. Never hurts to have an extra layer on the bow. I'll be sanding tomorrow, ordering some more quickfair and paint. Going to get the rubrail and spray rail wood tomorrow also.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:16 pm
by sharkbait2576
Jaysen wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 am Is it really harder to sand micro balloons? I’ve not sanded quickfair. CL told me that if my bbc fairing mix was hard to sand I did put enough of the balloons in the mix.
It's not horrible but yes the quickfair is easier. It is also easier to work with as the consistency is better. Some of that could be my mix. If I need to spend an extra 100 bucks to save myself a lot of sanding and mixing I'm going to. I tried the microballoon mixture just to say I did it.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:19 pm
by sharkbait2576
BrianC wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am
FluidDynamic wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 am The quickfair will be easier to sand and it can be sanded much faster after application. The microballoon mixture is much harder, but cheaper.
I agree. I used a glass microballon fairing recipe on my SK14 and, while it was easier to sand than a wood flour+epoxy mix, it was still pretty slow going. Are the phenolithic (red) microballons any better?
They were definitely easier than the wood flour mix. I used a manual straight plane with 35 grit and it was cutting it fairly quickly. I need a bigger compressor to run my straight line sander. With that, the work would be quicker for sure. I do as little hand sanding as possible though I do enjoy the shaping I can do with the manual straight line sander. harbor freight has a good one for 7 bucks.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 am
by sharkbait2576
BTW, I also tried the trick of drilling and injecting the epoxy in any of the places that got air pockets. Worked like a champ. Just used a syringe with a long tip on it.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:17 pm
by sharkbait2576
A bunch of sanding yesterday. Followed by some more filling and quickfair. I'll get some pics up today.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:47 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got another layer done. Starting to fill in smaller stuff on bottom. Using a straight line sander, a 5" dual action and a 7" orbital. Harbor freight has a 7" orbital that I love.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:50 pm
by sharkbait2576
This sander with 80 grit makes short work of epoxy. https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-10-a ... 62297.html

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm
by FluidDynamic
Yes, that polisher does. It also makes my smoke alarm go off in my garage. It's an epoxy dust slinger.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 pm
by MrPaul
:help: don't do it!!! Your garage will never be the same. Dust will be in every nook and cranny for years. I had fairing dust on my rafters that are 20 feet up.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 am
by Jeff
Good progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 am
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm Yes, that polisher does. It also makes my smoke alarm go off in my garage. It's an epoxy dust slinger.
I love it. Open the door and roll! I disconnected my smoke alarm for safety. LMAO

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 am
by sharkbait2576
MrPaul wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 pm :help: don't do it!!! Your garage will never be the same. Dust will be in every nook and cranny for years. I had fairing dust on my rafters that are 20 feet up.
Too late. Wife divorcing me. Kids moved out. Shop dog won't even hang around as she's black and comes inside white. LOL

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 am
by sharkbait2576
MrPaul wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 pm :help: don't do it!!! Your garage will never be the same. Dust will be in every nook and cranny for years. I had fairing dust on my rafters that are 20 feet up.
Where are you in Houston? I used to live in Spring just south of The Woodlands. Was just over last week visiting friends.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:39 pm
by MrPaul
I'm in Manvel south of Pearland. Anytime you want to compare fairing dust collections feel free to stop by.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 pm
by sharkbait2576
MrPaul wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:39 pm I'm in Manvel south of Pearland. Anytime you want to compare fairing dust collections feel free to stop by.
Nice. I know where that is. I'm sure you've got me beat but I'm working on it..... :D

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:22 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got quite a bit done today. Spray rails on and filet done. Rub rails getting attached tomorrow. I put a set of dolly wheels from Harbor freight under the frame. Ohhhh my. Nice to have it mobile.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 pm
by sharkbait2576
I'm using poplar for the rub and spray rails.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:26 pm
by sharkbait2576
Starboard rub rail on. Sanded on the filet for the spray rail. Tried a couple with no peel ply. Won't do that again. :D

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 am
by sharkbait2576
Debating on the skeg. Leaning towards no skeg. Opinions?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:33 pm
by sharkbait2576
All rub rails on. Filets done. Glass over spray rails. Waiting for rear rub rails to dry so I can glass over rub rails. Looking forward to sanding and priming this week.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
by FluidDynamic
Looks good. You going to cut out the motorwell opening later?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm Looks good. You going to cut out the motorwell opening later?
That's the plan. I'm open to suggestions though. :D

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 pm
by FluidDynamic
I don't think it matters either way.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got the rails covered in glass today. Sanding and fairing tomorrow. Gonna be a dusty day. I’ll get some pictures up in the morning.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am
by sharkbait2576
Quickfair over the whole boat. Going to sand like hell today.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:59 am
by Dan_Smullen
sharkbait2576 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am Going to sand like hell today.
Yes you are. :lol: Good luck, sir. Keep building!

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:36 pm
by FluidDynamic
I'd be lucky to get one panel sanded in a day.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm
by OrangeQuest
sharkbait2576 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 am Debating on the skeg. Leaning towards no skeg. Opinions?
I think this needs to be re-visited. Why do you not want a skeg? Some hulls do not need them and others do. You may want to post this question in the
"Board index-Plans and Building-Power Boats"
And get feedback from the builders and possibly the designer of the boat.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:20 pm
by sharkbait2576
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm
sharkbait2576 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 am Debating on the skeg. Leaning towards no skeg. Opinions?
I think this needs to be re-visited. Why do you not want a skeg? Some hulls do not need them and others do. You may want to post this question in the
"Board index-Plans and Building-Power Boats"
And get feedback from the builders and possibly the designer of the boat.
Just looking at the shape of the bottom, I'm not going to put one on. I'm not running slow where I need the boat to track straight on it's own. The skeg from the motor is a built in rudder that holds it straight anyway. I like the shape without it. It has a slight V all the way to the transom. Just think it'll add drag without much benefit.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm
by OrangeQuest
The skeg kind of helps in turns, especially in high speed turns. The back of the boat tends to want to go in the direction the motor is pushing it.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 pm
by sharkbait2576
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm The skeg kind of helps in turns, especially in high speed turns. The back of the boat tends to want to go in the direction the motor is pushing it.
Agreed. It seems this panga has enough “V” in the water to carve at most speeds no?

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 pm
by BarraMan
If the designer doesn't specify, then it seems like a personal judgement call to me.

When I look at that hull, I think that without a skeg or a couple of strakes, it will tend to slide in a tight power turn. Hell, my boat, which has 18 degrees of dead-rise at the transom, two strakes and no skeg, will slide in a tight turn - with the help of 250 ponies.

However, I am sure that your hull can be driven in a way that skidding/sliding is a non-issue. That said, I have seen a flat-bottom boat slide off into the mangroves right in front of me when a tight turn was misjudged! 8O

Its your boat! Skeg or no skeg is your call, and you are the one who has to either live with it or fix it later if you are unhappy.

That's one of the many joys of building your own boat! :D

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 am
by sharkbait2576
BarraMan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 pm
If the designer doesn't specify, then it seems like a personal judgement call to me.

When I look at that hull, I think that without a skeg or a couple of strakes, it will tend to slide in a tight power turn. Hell, my boat, which has 18 degrees of dead-rise at the transom, two strakes and no skeg, will slide in a tight turn - with the help of 250 ponies.

However, I am sure that your hull can be driven in a way that skidding/sliding is a non-issue. That said, I have seen a flat-bottom boat slide off into the mangroves right in front of me when a tight turn was misjudged! 8O

Its your boat! Skeg or no skeg is your call, and you are the one who has to either live with it or fix it later if you are unhappy.

That's one of the many joys of building your own boat! :D
Agreed. I have a Bluewave 20 with a 150. Partial V bottom. I don't mind the sliding a little at higher speeds if it frees it up a little at lower. I kind of go by the shape I see as to how it should handle.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:03 am
by OrangeQuest
Sorry Sharkbait, wasn't trying to tell you how to build your boat, looks like you are doing a great job. Just you asked for opinions about a skeg and got none. The section the question was posted was not in an area most builders or the designers visit. This is a very important question, like BarraMan stated, that if the designer doesn't specify then it is optional at best.

Once again, sorry if it seemed I was offering an opinion.

Ken J

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:03 am
by OneWayTraffic
I went back and forth on skegs and strakes as well. On the C17 the skeg is marked not optional, so it was always going to go on. Then I started thinking about keel protection. In the end I bought some strips of UHMWPE and will screw and glue them in. I don't like screws through the glass so will build up the keel on the inside with some ply for the screws to bed in before glassing the inside. I figure the skeg will offer some protection to the bottom, help in turns, and I like the look of it. I think it also acts as a center stringer.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 am
by sharkbait2576
OrangeQuest wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:03 am Sorry Sharkbait, wasn't trying to tell you how to build your boat, looks like you are doing a great job. Just you asked for opinions about a skeg and got none. The section the question was posted was not in an area most builders or the designers visit. This is a very important question, like BarraMan stated, that if the designer doesn't specify then it is optional at best.

Once again, sorry if it seemed I was offering an opinion.

Ken J
Not at all. I asked because I was looking for opinions.

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:10 pm
by sharkbait2576
Used to paint my own cars. I learned that when you get to a certain point, you have to lay down a coat of primer to find everything. It's also for mental health. When you're stripped all the way down it's a never ending process of finding everything you think might not be perfect. Once you lay the primer a lot places look perfect that you questioned and you find a ton of pinholes you'd never have found had you taken more time. 2 coats of primer today. Gonna get some pinhole filler tomorrow and fill the little stuff then sand and another coat.

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:12 pm
by sharkbait2576
Primed up and ready to press on.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:17 pm
by sharkbait2576
I smell like a paint huffer now. Quantum 99 sky blue sprayed. 1 tack coat followed by 3 medium coats. Ready to flip and get at it.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 pm
by sharkbait2576
The quantum 99 paint is still wet. It actually looks better after 24 hours. It "melts' in and settles to a smooth glossy coat.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm
by Fuzz
Boy does that look good or what :!:

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 pm
by Jeff
Very well done, she looks great!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 pm
by OrangeQuest
Wow! She Is a beauty!

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm
by sharkbait2576
Thanks guys. Far from perfection but have done a lot of learning up to this point.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:36 pm
by sharkbait2576
Can't wait to flip her over and get at the fun part.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:08 pm
by FluidDynamic
Alot faster than I am. Looks great.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:52 pm
by sharkbait2576
I don't know, you've made really fast progress. Plus I think you spent more time fairing. I could fill pinholes etc for 2 years and still find more. There is a limit to perfection. Especially since it's my boat. lol

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm
by FluidDynamic
Agree, left a few pinholes as well. Im at the stage where there is a bunch of tiny things to do. Hopefully I can start putting the gunnel cap and frames on soon.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:33 am
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm Agree, left a few pinholes as well. Im at the stage where there is a bunch of tiny things to do. Hopefully I can start putting the gunnel cap and frames on soon.
I enjoy watching your progress.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 am
by BB Sig
I love that color!

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm
by sharkbait2576
BB Sig wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 am I love that color!
I'm a Tarheel so for me it's Carolina Blue. Others may call it sky blue. Thanks!

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:23 pm
by sharkbait2576
Built a frame put some straps up. Hoisted the boat. Crawled underneath and took out the frames. Flipped the boat. Lowered the boat. Builts some frames and added carpet and she's over. Took about 2.5 hours. All one man operation. Went smoother that I thought. Was gonna wait for my wife to help but got impatient waiting for her to get home.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:24 pm
by sharkbait2576
Here's the rest of the story.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:41 pm
by Jeff
Congratulations on the flip, really well done!! Really like the paint!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:25 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Yeah dude! You're rolling!

She looks good too!

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:59 pm
by FluidDynamic
Well that was quick. I probably looked at mine for 3 weeks before I flipped it. The race is on. I'm impressed you made those bends on the bottom panels without kerfing. Did you put fiberglass over the butt joints on the panels? I don't see them.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:16 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:59 pm Well that was quick. I probably looked at mine for 3 weeks before I flipped it. The race is on. I'm impressed you made those bends on the bottom panels without kerfing. Did you put fiberglass over the butt joints on the panels? I don't see them.
I got antsy. Lol. I bent the pieces slowly. Clamping down over a couple of nights. What do you mean the butt joints on the panels?

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:19 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:59 pm Well that was quick. I probably looked at mine for 3 weeks before I flipped it. The race is on. I'm impressed you made those bends on the bottom panels without kerfing. Did you put fiberglass over the butt joints on the panels? I don't see them.
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:25 pm Yeah dude! You're rolling!

She looks good too!
Thanks!

I just realized what you were asking. I only used fiberglass on one side of the butt joints. Looking back, I should've done it on both sides. I did it on the outside of the curve it that makes sense. I'll run the tape on the inside now that it's flipped. Live and learn.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 pm
by FluidDynamic
Even though your putting the wide cloth on, I would still put tape on those butt joints. It's on the plans where it says "The fiberglass splices are made of one layer of biaxial each side". Just don't wont you to have a week spot.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 pm Even though your putting the wide cloth on, I would still put tape on those butt joints. It's on the plans where it says "The fiberglass splices are made of one layer of biaxial each side". Just don't wont you to have a week spot.
Agreed. I’m going to tape all of the inside joints first.

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:54 pm
by sharkbait2576
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:25 pm Yeah dude! You're rolling!

She looks good too!
Thanks!

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 am
by Coach
Love the color choice! Looks great!

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 am
by sharkbait2576
Coach wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 am Love the color choice! Looks great!

Thanks!

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:34 am
by sharkbait2576
Got the seams done and one full side done. Ran about 5 feet short on the biaxial cloth. Heading out of town for a week on Saturday so won't be able to get much done till I get back.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:36 am
by sharkbait2576
Forgot...I cut out the section on the transom where the motor goes too.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:31 pm
by FluidDynamic
Did you manage to do all of that wet on wet? i tried, but ran out of time and had to sand.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:58 pm
by sharkbait2576
No way. I got the filets and seams done wet on wet. Then did one side of the cloth. Ran out and am on a trip. I got one side done. Will order some cloth and do the other side a week from now. Gonna be I. The Bahamas for July and August so try to finish in September.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 pm
by sharkbait2576
Heading to the Bahamas for a couple months to spear fish and surf. Will crank up the factory when I get back.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:09 pm
by sharkbait2576
Made it back after 12 weeks. Gonna get going and finish up this boat. Here's what I built while I was gone.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:49 pm
by FluidDynamic
Looking forward to see your build start back.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am
by Jeff
Nice place in the Bahamas!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 am
by FluidDynamic
You have a plane? My wife and I thought about building on Great Exuma, but wasn't feasible using commercial flights.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:12 pm
by sharkbait2576
Jeff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am Nice place in the Bahamas!!! Jeff
Thanks man. It was great meeting you a few months back. Gonna go get that fiberglass to work now. LOL

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:15 pm
by sharkbait2576
FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 am You have a plane? My wife and I thought about building on Great Exuma, but wasn't feasible using commercial flights.
There used to be a few flights that went to Georgetown on silver airways. They fly to most of the travel destinations out of Fort Lauderdale. I fly for free most of the time as I work for an airline. Family does too. No need for an airplane.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:45 pm
by sharkbait2576
Finished the glass on the other side and tacked down some stringers. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:51 pm
by sharkbait2576
Stringers glasses in. Slow process as you do a little work and have to wait for drying.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:53 pm
by sharkbait2576
One more.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:21 pm
by sharkbait2576
Got the plumbing done today.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 am
by sharkbait2576
Got the foam started today. Used 2 gallons. Ordered a third. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:10 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32 pm
by FluidDynamic
Getting the foam in is milestone. Cutting the foam level to the frames was tough for me.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:35 am
by Fuzz
For cutting the foam I used a framers cross cut saw that was long enough to span the stringers. Do not forget you can toss the cut-offs into the next place to be foamed so it is not waisted.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 am
by BrianC
FluidDynamic wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32 pm Getting the foam in is milestone. Cutting the foam level to the frames was tough for me.
Nichrome wire and a 12v battery works wonders for foam cutting.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 am
by FluidDynamic
Any progress?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:52 pm
by sharkbait2576
I've gotten a lot done over the past few months. Just been horrible with pics. I'll get some up tomorrow. Life....

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:25 pm
by sharkbait2576
Progress. Gotta get this thing in the water.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:27 pm
by sharkbait2576
ImageImage

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:30 pm
by sharkbait2576
Center console is not fastened down yet. I chose to buy one rather than build. Gonna mount it over HPDE. Also gonna put HPDE along part of the surround above the gunnels so I can clean fish as I'm gonna be using it for spearfishing most of the time.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:16 pm
by Jeff
Nice job!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:44 pm
by sharkbait2576
Thanks Jeff. Learning a lot on this first build.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:41 am
by Fuzz
Agree with Jeff! That is a very nice looking Panga. When finished you will be one proud builder/owner.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:32 am
by wpstarling
definitely a good looking boat. Keep up the work and get it splashed!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:46 pm
by TomW1
Beautiful looking PG20. Have you gotten your motor or have one. Others on here have reported a 6 month wait time. Just something to think about. Keep the pictures coming. Tom

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:24 pm
by sharkbait2576
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the kind words. Can't wait to get her in the water. I'm gonna run a yamaha 70hp. I am looking at ordering in the US. If not, I'll take the boat to the Bahamas with no motor as my dealer out there has a couple in the shop. Thanks again!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:23 am
by cape man
Check out the Yamaha dealer in Jensen Beach. They sold me mine at a great price and were awesome to deal with. Don't know if they can get one...

You're going to love that engine! Will be perfect for your boat!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:43 pm
by sharkbait2576
I must've just become the luckiest man this week. Local Yamaha dealer just got 4 in. 3 going to Mexico already paid for. Got mine for $10k for a 2023. They've gone up 800 since last year. I try to never pay retail but when the demand is high and your time is now, gotta do it. Gonna go pick it up this week. Sweet!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm
by sharkbait2576
cape man wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:23 am Check out the Yamaha dealer in Jensen Beach. They sold me mine at a great price and were awesome to deal with. Don't know if they can get one...

You're going to love that engine! Will be perfect for your boat!
See below. Thanks for the mention on Jensen beach. I may give them a call just to check price!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 pm
by cape man
10k is 2k above what I paid 4 years ago! Maybe what it is..

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:20 pm
by sharkbait2576
cape man wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 pm 10k is 2k above what I paid 4 years ago! Maybe what it is..
Unfortunately, I think you're right. The MSRP is 9400 for a 2023. I generally would never pay MSRP, but I need a motor and it's the wrong time to buy. Lol.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:20 pm
by cape man
Ouch!

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:27 am
by sharkbait2576
cape man wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:20 pmOuch!
Well what choice do I have? I sure as hell ain't buying something besides a Yamaha. :D :D :D