How to create, manage sub albums, upload images and create posts using the phpBB embedded gallery

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
BBC Gallery Demo
New Poster
New Poster

How to create, manage sub albums, upload images and create posts using the phpBB embedded gallery

Post by BBC Gallery Demo »

This is a quick tutorial on how to create your main album, create a sub album for a project, upload photos to that sub album, then use BBCODE to embed the photos in your post. I'm using safari on a Mac, but the process is exactly the same for any browser.

Create your user:

Once you get the login approval login to the forum and view updates your profile.
Click the triangle to the left of your under name. Select the link "Profile".

Click the link "Edit profile"

Make any edits on the profile tab but eventually click on the tab labeled "Gallery"

Click the "Create personal album" button

Subalbums are used to group related images. You can create hierarchies of sub albums if needed. While yo do you need subalbums it is recommended to use subalbums.
Click the "Create subalbum" button

Give the subalbum a name and description. Click the submit button

Click the link "Back to previous page"

Click the name of the subalbum.

Click the "Go To" link.

You are now in the subalbum. Click on the "Upload Image" button to start the upload process

Click on the choose files button to open a file selector and pick files to upload.

Use your OS file chooser to locate the images to upload in local storage. Select up to 10 files and click the button to upload the files (on OS X it is choose).

Click the Continue button to upload the files to the server (note this image is from above and does not show files selected)

Once you click on the button you will get to make some adjustments to the photos.
You can change the name to something meaningful.
You can add a description that can be seen when the album is viewed.
You can rotate the image.

Once done making adjustments, click on submit at the bottom of the upload confirmation page.

Repeat the above until you have uploaded all the photos you want to the gallery. To add photos to the post.

You will need two browser instances/tabs. In the first tab, Start a new post. In the second go to your gallery. Find the image you want to use and click on it.

Copy the BBCode... this is what tell the phpBB to load this image.

In the other tab, paste the BBCode tag into your post.

Complete pasting BBCode and complete your post just like normal. You can preview the images with the preview button. When you are done click submit.

I'm sure there are things that are missed. Please post questions and I'll update the directions as needed.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Jaysen on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to announce
=====
Currently a figment of Jaysen's imagination. Don't PM this user as no one is monitoring the email associated with the username. Reach out to Jeff, Reid or, if you really like disappointment, Jaysen.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How to create, manage sub albums, upload images and create posts using the phpBB embedded gallery

Post by BrianC »

Is the maximum size of 900 x 700 a hard limit or is it overall size of 4.88 MB that is the limiting factor?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How to create, manage sub albums, upload images and create posts using the phpBB embedded gallery

Post by Jaysen »

It is the overall size of a single picture. It would be nice if we used smaller pics in general but most mobile devices do not make choosing a smaller size obvious. One of the things I’ve looked into is how Jeff can remove the size restrictions in upload and leverage other tools to reduce costs on his side (auto scale to high compression or dimensions). No word on if we will do that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great work Jaysen!!!! This is very much appreciated!!!!! Jeff

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Jaysen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:26 pm It would be nice if we used smaller pics in general but most mobile devices do not make choosing a smaller size obvious.
Why smaller? Personally I would like bigger pictures. I can zoom in on mobile, and use my nice big monitors on desktop.

This is why I host the photos off-site, and link to a scaled image on my posts.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Smaller does not exclusively mean lower resolution. It means leveraging compression properly to save disk space. I need to look into a number of things with Jeff before advising a specific direction.

Off site hosting (photobucket, imigur, google) allows you to do it anyway you want. Jeff provides the feature as a convenient option for us. That convenience may have limits should Jeff see the need for them. Jeff makes the final decisions.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:53 pm Smaller does not exclusively mean lower resolution. It means leveraging compression properly to save disk space. I need to look into a number of things with Jeff before advising a specific direction.

Off site hosting (photobucket, imigur, google) allows you to do it anyway you want. Jeff provides the feature as a convenient option for us. That convenience may have limits should Jeff see the need for them. Jeff makes the final decisions.
Totally fair. I was just trying to understand the thought process. Smaller file size makes a lot of sense.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:53 pm Off site hosting (photobucket, imigur, google) allows you to do it anyway you want. Jeff provides the feature as a convenient option for us.
Off site hosting with Photobucket didn't work so well when they broke all the links to do what I think of as trying to extort money from their users. I like Imgur, but the few photos I have here are hosted here.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

pee wee wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm [quote=Jaysen post_id=470057 time=<a href="tel:1589997205">1589997205</a> user_id=79239]
Off site hosting (photobucket, imigur, google) allows you to do it anyway you want. Jeff provides the feature as a convenient option for us.
Off site hosting with Photobucket didn't work so well when they broke all the links to do what I think of as trying to extort money from their users. I like Imgur, but the few photos I have here are hosted here.
[/quote]

You’ve highlighted why Jeff is committed to providing the gallery service to the forum. There is no intention to reduce the use of or quality of the gallery. Jeff wants to see improvements in all aspects of the forum operations, including gallery. One of the things I want to make sure we (users) consider/keep in mind is that Jeff provides all of this to us at no cost. We might be able to make minor changes to what we (users) do to help Jeff with the cost.

In case anyone is curious, this type of thing (operational cost management) is part of what I do professionally. As a BBC customer and user of the forum, I know the value of the services the forum and gallery provide. I want to make sure they stick around for a long long time.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks guys for a working solution! I was successful following these steps! 8)

Jaysen,

Thanks for providing your knowledge to keep everything smooth! :wink: