V-hull tank calculations

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V-hull tank calculations

Post by Scrappy »

I've been messing around looking at below deck fuel tanks for my FS19 build. I made a quick spreadsheet that calculates: 1) the depth of the bilge at the stringer based on station dimensions from plans, and 2) calculates the volume of a symmetric v-hull tank. Thought others might find it useful for planning frame/bulkhead locations. There are pictures imbedded which make it pretty self-explanatory. Link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: V-hull tank calculations

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks for posting this. I am sure it will come in handy for a lot of folks.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I used the same formulas to figure how much foam I needed to pour in each compartment and then how big my live well and bait well needed to be for the gallons I wanted them to hold.

On the foam, I also needed to figure how much foam area I needed to displace for the estimated weight that I wanted the displacement to hold up.

Basically I wanted to make sure I poured enough foam to keep the motor, battery and anchor at the surface and I went about 60 pounds more than that.
But your formulas are very useful for doing a lot of things in boat building. I seen them the other day but didn't have time to comment. Thanks for posting them and Thanks Fuzz for posting about them so I could see them again.

Crazy note: When I was calculating the trim of the boat and where weight was going to be, things like fuel and how much water the wells hold, wood the boat is made of all matter, but when it comes to flotation those things don't matter and considered weightless.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Saltfix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saltfix »

I order my tanks from Atlantic coastal welding in New Jersey
They have a calculator for different shapes on their website

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Saltfix, agree Atlantic, also known as Speedy Tanks is great, they not only have v-tanks but rectangular, side and others and will put the inputs and outputs where you want them. Here is their web site: https://speedytanks.com/ One nice thing with there tanks is they put a baffle in the center of the tank to prevent sloshing. But anyway check them out.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978