FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by joe2700 »

I like plastic below the waterline for corrosion resistance, stainless above mainly because I like the look. The TRUDESIGN plastic thru hull and ball valve with the load bearing collar that is popping up everywhere meets ABYC H-27 so it can resist 500 pounds at the inboard end(max leverage) for 30 seconds. That's strong enough for me but you're also around $70-$80 for a 1" thru hull with ball valve, collar, and correct hose fitting. Not just cheap plastic like an above waterline bilge outlet or something.

https://www.gemlux.com/pdf/loadbearingcollars.pdf

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

For those interested in previous boat it was built under The name Bluefish2 FS17 Extended sheer.
The extend sheer helped weather wise. It added a lot of weight though. My guess is about 200lbs. I did most of the finish work alone and it was really exhausting.
Sister-in-law has repainted and it looks much cleaner now. Will try and take some pictures.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Pulled the lever for FS17 kit and Epoxy kit. It arrived today! After a paltry 7 days.
Trucker looked exhausted when he arrived so gave money for dinner and beer. Would have been happy with 4 weeks.
Will start unwrapping tomorrow.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Started making sawdust though not much since this is a kit. Very simple. Took almost six months to reach this point first time around. :D
Hopefully, daily and weekly updates
Rover1

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Love it!
Post daily no matter how much or little or much you do.
And post pictures :p

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Well no pics yet. I did separate all the component parts accept the temporary molds.
they will just have to wait until tomorrow.
Rover1

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

narfi wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:12 pm Love it!
Post daily no matter how much or little or much you do.
And post pictures :p
X2 :D

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Boat kit
Boat kit
Parts removed
Parts removed
What lies over the edge- Dragons!
What lies over the edge- Dragons!
Everything cut out except for temporary molds

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Started looking at motor$$ recently. Will have to wait until boat show season. Maybe get a better price.
Question: Are all the brands in the 30-60 HP range going to run well without issue for years?
Last Mercury 4 stroke i had did not like ethanol in the fuel in the least. Tohatsu had no issues at all. Would like to consider other brands like Yamaha and Suzuki.
Rover1

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Everyone has their opinion on outboard brands, but here's mine. My experience with small outboards is though sailing schools, so they are getting beat on by the instructors who don't pay for them all summer working long hours with very frequent on-off and getting run through mud. Our Yamahas lasted decades, needing work but they wouldn't strand you just run poorly until serviced. The Mercurys would just shut down more often, needing a tow in, and it started after only a few years. I would avoid Mercury for small outboards, I know nothing about the larger ones.

While I had great experience with Yamaha and no personal experience with Suzuki I went with a Suzuki 60hp for my FS17. Not launched yet so no experience but Suzuki is very popular around here, and friends have had great luck with them. The Suzuki 60 was favorable to the Yamaha on weight, charging current, and price so I went that way. I'd would have been comfortable with either Yamaha or Suzuki in the 30-60 range.

That's my personal take on it.

Edit: I paid ~$7000 for the motor and ~$9000 with throttle, start switch, tach, control cables, stainless prop, and install