Favorite boating hat

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Favorite boating hat

Post by BrianC »

I’m following the lead of Glossieblack and Cape Man on keeping the sun at bay — no Bimini top for my build
glossieblack wrote: Underway, nothing beats a broad-rimmed-chin-strapped hat. At anchor, an adjustable umbrella is superior.
So now I’m looking for hat recommendations. All the ones I have now fold up when cruising 20-25 MPH and blow off, leaving me strangled by the strap.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Favorite boating hat

Post by Jaysen »

I look for the cheap ones at my grocery store then buy all the ones that fit my cranium and have the following features.
1. Snaps on brim both sides (makes it stiffer in the wind)
2. Has a elastic cord head band adjustment
3. Has ventilation panels
4. Has neck flap that is NOT part of the liner (sits off the head a bit)

I find them for $us9 to $us25. Columbia makes a solid version for $30 but I hate watching them float away.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I actually know a few very experienced sailors who don't wear hats. I'm unclear as to their planet of origin.
I wear a baseball cap. If it's real windy, I tighten the strap. If it's raining, I put the hood up on my foulies.
HOWEVER, since childhood I've always wanted a Sou'wester, and this year I finally got two. The first is plastic, but the second is actual oilskin. Both have nice, warm, flannel linings that cover your ears. I haven't worn either of them at sea yet but I will tell you that in walks in the rain, they give you more comfort, more peripheral vision, and no water goes down your neck at all.

Tony

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

eBay. Typed in Asian conical hat. 2 for 16 bucks.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I'll be buying one of these soon. My buddy turned me on to them. They are kind of like a Tilley, but they have a stiff plastic part sewn into the front brim so it won't flip up at speed.

https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

This is another good way to go if you're in the tropics:

Tony